Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat the Jets in OT

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
he's far from where he shold be defensively, but offensively he's been very good. Already has 6 goals. I think he's only going to get better he's still very young for a D at 22yo.
Hes far from where he should be defensively? You are right, hes one of the youngest def in the league. With all that experience we expect him to be a norris worthy defensive player nothing less bringing good offense too. How come a young def make defensive mistakes. How dare he, what a plug

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Hes far from where he should be defensively? You are right, hes one of the youngest def in the league. With all that experience we expect him to be a norris worthy defensive player nothing less bringing good offense too. How come a young def make defensive mistake. How dare he, what a plug
Barron is younger than Struble

Reactions: HabbyGuy

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Thought that Slafkovsky played one of his best games and, together with Anderson, was an intimidating presence in all three zones of the ice. One can only wonder in awe what level of physicality he will bring to the team in two or three years when he fills out and plays bigger and faster. This could get interesting. And very painful for Montreal opponents.
I didn't watch the game, but if I was only reading LaPresse+ (this morning) for my habs game info, my impression would be that Slafkovksy played a bad game.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I don't get the criticism of Mike Matheson. He may not be Rod Langway defensively but he is asked to eat 25+ minutes per night and he does a pretty damn good job.
He has never played #1 D type of minutes and I appreciate what he brings.

As far as Barron and his whole 74 games of NHL experience folks need to not be so hard on him as well.
Yes he has some challenges at times with his defensive game but can we at least allow him to develop a bit more before hammering him at every turn?
He was the 7th D when the year started and now he plays 20+ minutes per night. Also he is barely 22.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I don't get the criticism of Mike Matheson. He may not be Rod Langway defensively but he is asked to eat 25+ minutes per night and he does a pretty damn good job.

As far as Barron and his whole 74 games of NHL experience folks need to not be so hard on him as well.
Yes he has some challenges at times with his defensive game but can we at least allow him to develop a bit more before hammering him at every turn?
He was the 7th D when the year started and now he plays 20+ minutes per night. Also he is barely 22.
Again, you are sagely preaching patience. In today’s world, where many people’s term of reference is: what have you done for me in the last eight minutes? it may well be a vain plea and expectation. I usually just ignore that noise like some here almost assuredly dismiss my random musings.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and Tyson

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I didn't watch the game, but if I was only reading LaPresse+ (this morning) for my habs game info, my impression would be that Slafkovksy played a bad game.
There were some shiny moments which can be extrapolated into what we hope he becomes, but not enough of them to classify as a very good game imo. Also, there were some blunders that one can decide to ignore when assessing his potential, but that others may be troubled by and consider low IQ plays.

Every one can see what they want in such a game.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We're 27th in GF/gp and 24th in GA/gp, 25th in SF/gp and 29th in SA/gp... and dead last in Regular Time wins.

This team would bankrupt a lot of bookies if it won a playoff round, I can tell you that.
And we’re probably #1 in 1 goal wins!!

This team is winning without the benefit of superstar goaltending all while being outshot at ridiculous rates.

We are certainly not there yet but the kids are definitely showcasing what we can expect on most nights in the not so distant future and that’s wins based on structured and entertaining hockey!!

Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
There were some shiny moments which can be extrapolated into what we hope he becomes, but not enough of them to classify as a very good game imo. Also, there were some blunders that one can decide to ignore when assessing his potential, but that others may be troubled by and consider low IQ plays.

Every one can see what they want in such a game.
As with most 19 year old players, one’s assessment should largely be focused on what the player hopefully becomes.

In Slafkovsky’s case, he’s playing on the team’s top line, he’s playing on the power play, is making intuitive passes and is quickly developing into a physical force in the league.

Is there any cogent reason not to be encouraged by this young player’s developmental progression?

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I imagine we'd be sitting with a few more pts in the standings if Dach had been healthy and made even a marginal positive step forward from last year... I could see him tilting 2-3 wins at the minimum, maybe more if he really broke out.

This group finds a way to win far above expected.
I think his impact on the team would have been huge. Having two scoring lines changes the whole dynamic of the team.

We'll see next year - if the key players are healthy.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Friedman & Marek were talking on their podcast how Van fans should be simply enjoying the Nucks season “enjoy the ride”, and concluded hockey fans in Canada are incapable of simply enjoying their team even when teams exceeding expectations

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
I like Barron idk why people get so pissed off at him he's like 22 and even if he's not in our long term plans he's still gaining value from playing full time in the NHL , I'd understand if he was like 34 but he's still a baby.
Because Hab fans need to complain about everything. It's a bad trend that's been going on for a few years now.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
People's criticism of Matheson are all caused by the fact that he is in the wrong chair(s), but he's in those chairs because there is nobody mature enough to fill them yet.

He's probably going to lose his power play spot once Hutson join (should be Hutson/Barron eventually). He's going to lose his #1 LD spot once Guhle is considered to have matured enough (he's only 21 and haven't yet reached 82 NHL games played).

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Because Hab fans need to complain about everything. It's a bad trend that's been going on for a few years now.
I'm just excited that they are all like 22 year olds. And playing decently on the individual scale.

Team D is another story but that's not all on the Dmen it has alot to do with the forwards and coaching

People's criticism of Matheson are all caused by the fact that he is in the wrong chair(s), but he's in those chairs because there is nobody mature enough to fill them yet.

He's probably going to lose his power play spot once Hutson join (should be Hutson/Barron eventually). He's going to lose his #1 LD spot once Guhle is considered to have matured enough (he's only 21 and haven't yet reached 82 NHL games played).
Matheson just plays too much

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I like Barron idk why people get so pissed off at him he's like 22 and even if he's not in our long term plans he's still gaining value from playing full time in the NHL , I'd understand if he was like 34 but he's still a baby.
some here have never played the game & struggle with what player development looks like.

Barron is progressing nicely for a D that just turned 22. People also unfairly compare his defensive acumen to Guhle who is simply becoming our best defence man.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
How about a half a century.

I have previously related this telling story about the 'loyalty' of our entitled fan base. In March of 1979, I was fortunate enough to attend a Montreal home game against the then lowly Red Wings. This was the final year of the last great dynastic period of the franchise. It was a year that the Canadiens won over 50 games and won the final Cup of the Lafleur/Dryden era. Despite these accomplishments, the team lost to the Red Wings ( I think 5 to 3) that game and the fans proceeded to lustily boo the team as they left the ice after the game. It was pathetic example of an over-entitled fan base.

Apparently, its a phenomenon that is shared by other Canadian teams' fan bases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy Larose

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Because everyone wants to visually witness Gallagher type balls to the walls effort, and when a player has skill as Barron has but not the fire like demeanor frustration builds

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Every team suffers injuries

I've never seen anything like these last couple of seasons. I thought the year 2000 was as bad as it gets when they set the record that year, but then they shattered that last year too.

Certainly not ideal when the youth want to have as key peices of the future are spend an inordinate amount of time in rehab.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad