Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat the Jets in a shootout!

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Yes Kovacevic is working his way into either the future picture, or a nice future trade chip. If Kulak can get us a 2nd, well let's just say I find Kovacevic's olay to be better than Kukak's...

Love the Kovacevic waiver pick up. Still, reminds me it would have been nice to have also picked up Tolvanen and Valimaki.
His cost controlled contract is a blessing and a curse. He's going to want to cash-in when he's a UFA, so whoever has him in his final season is going to be aware of this. I like him, I think he's an NHLer and has room to improve. He does remind me of Kulak too.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Thanks for your hindinsight and hopeful outlook on 19 year old prospects

No reason to get rid of Kovacevic if we can keep a guy who is a serviceable 5-6 dman willing to play that role for multiple years - 2nd round picks don’t win cups but the guys who can make a serviceable pass playing 14-15 minutes a night during the playoffs are worth way more than their weight in bacon come playoff time

1. I'll give you 5 reasons we MAY want to trade Kovacevic: Reinbacher, Mailloux, Barron, Bogdan, plus we may want to have 4 LD in the top 6, given our abundance of talent on the left (Matheson, Guhle, Xhekaj, Hutson, Engstrom, etc...).

2. At this point, given what good stay at home D have gone for in the past at the TDL, it's not unreasonable to think the market for Kovacevic MAY be a 1st at the TDL.

3. I like him. He could be a modern day Hal Gill. I'd be happy to keep him for 10 years. And he brings a different element than our other D. But he too may start to command a big contract we then he's about to become a UFA. Look at what Gudbranson, Gavrikov, and Chiarot got as UFA's.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
1. I'll give you 5 reasons we MAY want to trade Kovacevic: Reinbacher, Mailloux, Barron, Bogdan, plus we may want to have 4 LD in the top 6, given our abundance of talent on the left (Matheson, Guhle, Xhekaj, Hutson, Engstrom, etc...).

2. At this point, given what good stay at home D have gone for in the past at the TDL, it's not unreasonable to think the market for Kovacevic MAY be a 1st at the TDL.

3. I like him. He could be a modern day Hal Gill. I'd be happy to keep him for 10 years. And he brings different element than our other D. But he too may start to command a big contract we then he's about to become a UFA. Look at what Gudbranson, Gavrikov, and Chiarot got as UFA's.

I think your post is great, interesting. I don’t disagree - I just don’t see the skillset of Kovacevic (if you want to call it that) in our prospect dmen. I see a glut at the top 4 - if Hutson, Mailloux, Barron or Guhle are not top 2-4 dmen, they may not be nhlers on the habs roster. The 5-6 dmen spot is for guys who are not necessarily slated for bigger roles offensively or minutes wise. For example, if Hutson won’t play top 4 with PP minutes he won’t be in the nhl at all.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Where's my old friend Jeffrey Steele? Habs beat a team that was in the playoffs last season. Do you feel better?

With this win the Habs move into 5th place overall in the league.

What a noob. Nobody calls me Jeffrey Steele. Everyone knows my name but you.

We all know what will happen. You'll disappear once we hit the new year.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
An under rated aspect of this team right now is the quality of breakouts. We generate a lot of chances on the rush and our young mobile D is responsible for it.

Matheson, Guhle, Harris, Barron, Xhekaj are all very effective breakout D. Kovacevic and Savard a bit less effective.

Our D corp is underrated because of age but it’s actually good.

Our weakness remains cycle offense. Really a shame that Dach went down because it really seems he would have been alleviating this problem for us this year.

I still have some hope that Slaf-Money-Newhook can work as an effective 2nd line that can have a good cycle game (good mix of speed, size, IQ). For the 1st RW I would actually call up J Roy and give him a shot cause I can’t see anyone other than Money on that spot, but we need him as 2C.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Too bad Nick suzuki is a bust and not a 1C or we'd be 82-0. The guy is single handedly dragging down the team. He should aspire to be more like other players on the team that contribute more like Slaf or Pezzetta or Anderson.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Guhle obviously has #1 potential. OBVIOUSLY.

But I'm VERY worried about injuries. I've never seen a guy not protect himself so regularly, he keeps taking hits from behind because he's always facing the boards!

I hope for the best for him, but if someone came knocking and offered a real top notch young forward for him, I'd really consider it. Before it's too late. Especially with all the other dmen we have coming up.
I think he still plays the way he played in juniors, but has not gained enough muscle mass to do so yet.

He was less involved in one-on-ones yesterday. He needs to play the gaps and the sticks a bit more, until he gains mass.

He’s still an ace for a 21 year old D.

I have a habit of counting my mistakes/decisions as a way of learning from them.

So I counted X mistakes and he has a LOT of learning to do. The second and third goals were partially his fault in one and completely in the other. He got stapled to the bench for ten minutes after that.

Third period, AGAIN makes the mistake of not sticking to his man and keeping his stick down. Allen stopped it. He played 16:45, second lowest as a defenseman.

He is not moving fast enough in front of his man, they are getting past or behind him and he's keeping his stick too high.

I want to know, are they reviewing this and working on it with him the next day?

RHP...back to the AHL

Guhle...on fire.

Anderson...does he see anything but his shadow?

Slaf...flashes here or there mean nothing.

Newhook...this isn't Dach 2. Minus 2 and second lowest ice time.

Pez...he's not worth the spot. Bring back Ylonen or two better choices from the AHL.

Allen...mostly NHL quality with an AHL mistake here and there.

We won but weren't the better team.
As we shouldn’t be. The Jets are a mature team of forwards. We are full of pups on the blue line.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Too bad Nick suzuki is a bust and not a 1C or we'd be 82-0. The guy is single handedly dragging down the team. He should aspire to be more like other players on the team that contribute more like Slaf or Pezzetta or Anderson.
That’s how he should play every night. He has the talent to do it.

Nobody has called him a bust. He got off to a slow start but has been great the last two games. More of this please. He’s the captain and needs to set the tone.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Watched the highlights just now, damn this team is actually exciting to watch. You guys who get to watch the games are blessed oh yes.
It was dire viewing for almost the entire 1st and in the 2nd until Money scored on the PP. 1st period especially was men against boys, physically and in terms of experienced vet play.

Refs calling some big boy plays as penalties didn't help the game either.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I watch this team and cant believe they have a 5-2-1 record

Every game is pretty much a cluster F. The PP is disjointed, they take boatloads of penalties, the PK gives up a tonne of chances even when they do manage to kill it, zone coverage struggles, little to no transition

But they grind out wins in unconventional ways. Hard to see it lasting but good on them i guess

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I watch this team and cant believe they have a 5-2-1 record

Every game is pretty much a cluster F. The PP is disjointed, they take boatloads of penalties, the PK gives up a tonne of chances even when they do manage to kill it, zone coverage struggles, little to no transition

But they grind out wins in unconventional ways. Hard to see it lasting but good on them i guess
Habs have a bottom 5 defense statistically, but they are managing to score goals and the goalies manage to stop pucks.

It's not sustainable over the entire season and two teams in a row have shown that all you have to do is send the puck deep in their zone to keep them in it and get scoring chances...

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
What a noob. Nobody calls me Jeffrey Steele. Everyone knows my name but you.

We all know what will happen. You'll disappear once we hit the new year.
Will I? I have been on HF Boards since it started many years ago. Again, you are just angry because you got called out. Habs won against a team that was in the playoffs last year. Do you hate the habs that much that you want them to fail?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Caufield God of OT
Suzuki God of SO
Allen great game again!
Guhle amazing comeback game!
Armia did good!
Monahan on the PP

The rest... uhhh who cares!

then there is Josh Anderson and Slafovksy
Right up to the 2nd last sentence I thought some aliens took over your body. Then you posted those last two sentences and I realized everything is alright with the world. HabsWhiteKnight is still with us.

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018
For Harris, I'm not seeing what McCagg is seeing. Not sure how you can put Harris in the same sentence as Suzuki and Monahan for hockey sense.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 2.11.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-29 at 2.11.38 PM.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad