Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat the Caps in OT

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Next game- does Allen play again? Or does he alternate with Monty? Or...does Primeau get a start?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We, I mean management. Michel threw him under the bus every chance he got, deployed him his Norris year in one of the most bizarre fashions an elite dman was ever used. Wouldn’t endorse him for team Canada, bridge deal, to arbitration to the eventual trade. When you get a chance to get Shea Weber you don’t ask for more.

Therrien/MB seemed like they had it out for their star from the beginning. Therrien did, because he said so on TV before he was ever hired.
Therrien gave Subban 25.32 minutes per game over his tenure, including over 26 minutes two of his last three seasons here. Despite calling out two or three audacious plays PK's final year (when he could have mentioned 100 more) he was a big time supporter of Subban once he was coaching him. No one cares about l'Antichambre.

It was Jacques Martin who benched Subban in an effort to break him.

As for MB, screw him. Worst GM we ever had, worse than Houle, though of course Houle oversaw the spectacular Patrick Roy fiasco.

The bozo was wildly inconsistent with contracts and had no idea how to build anything. Shea Weber was actually still a good D when we got him. But after getting him at 31 and re-upping Price for 8 years, he had no visionhow to put together a strong roster for another 3-4 years to compete for division titles and by extension the Cup. That's what you had to do if you are building around Weber and Price.

Bergevin wasted the best years of Price, Subban and Pacioretty.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I am one who thinks Monahan (if he stays healthy) could be a major piece in the rebuild. I would seriously consider extending him.

I'm not opposed to it, but he's so fragile that I would feel uneasy giving him a big salary for any extended period of time. I almost feel like getting something good for him while he's still able to play and that he's costing us peanuts and virtually every team can afford him.

Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I think Pearson could help the dynamic duo in several ways, maybe not stat padding, thus allowing Monahan to anchor a great second line.

If not Pearson, then Dvorak himself. He will help in faceoffs,possession and in the d-zone.
What else does Dvorak except faceoffs?
D-zone, not that much.

I never thought I would say this...Dvorak will be a welcomed sight
I never thought I would say this...Dvorak will be a welcomed sight
Saying that : welcome to the desparate club, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Tyson

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
PK gained too much weight and lost a step. Not sure if that was the only issue but his game dropped off significantly.
Yeah even though he rounded out his game better in his Norris winning year, I still like rookie season PK best. He looked generational with the puck.

Once he put on the weight, he still did some great things but it really hampered him all in all. Lost that quickness.

Too bad if things worked out a bit differently, he would’ve been one of the best to have ever done it.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
The Caps have reached the end in my opinion, Kuznetsov, Oshie, Backstrom and Ovie are nearing the end and if Ovie is to try and break the goal-scoring record held by 99 he needs to be elsewhere but this is highly unlikely. They had some great years, got a cup and now it's over, Pittsburgh is in a similar place but are trying to give it one more go, father time catches up to everyone.
Yeah I think the media may have been a bit premature with the ‘it’s not a matter of if but when’ with the record talk.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don't see our future forward corps as oversaturated with talent, unlike our dcore. I think there's room for all of RHP, Roy, and Ylonen in the top 12.
If Monahan is re-signed and Dvorak still here, I think Ylonen remaining in the top 12 is not a sure thing once Roy is promoted. Ylonen does not fill the role of hard-nosed forward, and I think Roy has more upside.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
OR
Dvorak- Suzuki - Caufield
Pearson- Newhook - Anderson
Slaf - Monahan -Ylonen
RHP - Evans - Gallagher/Pezzetta

Trade Pearson at deadline for a 1st or 2nd, re-sign Monahan and move Newhook back to LW when Dach comes back next year. Roy probably replaces Ylonen, and Heineman replaces Pezzetta.
It's been 4 games Pearson was traded for backup/3rd goalie. Nobody is giving a 1st pick for him because of 4 games and 2 of them in the bottom 5 . Let's talk about a 2nd after he played at least half a season

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think his back got bad and he didn’t want to let opponents know. Could just be one of those rumours based on nothing, though.
I think his skating was always based around agility and turns and not actual top speed. And when he added weight his body just broke down because he was trying to play too physical. Shame he couldn't stay slimmer and quicker and stick to his best assets. Love PK though he was a great hab

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I would go with Allen again. If he continues to play well, maybe he can build a bit of value or can be part of a trade to bring in some draft picks or young players/prospects.
Allen has a history of playing well when he plays infrequently. Give him a start a week or fewer and hope someone likes the stats.

Reactions: Runner77

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
We were so disorganized. Even against a bad team like the Caps, we were stuck so many times in our zone. At this point I'm still not sure about MSL.
I've probably been the most vocal critic of MSL's system, or lack thereof I should say, but I am starting to see some positives.

We look like a counterattacking team, because we don't have the horses, the other team is going to drive play for 75% of the game without us touching the puck, but as long as we have finishers on every line, we should be able to score a couple goals a game on the rush.

I'm just not sure if this is better or worse entertainment than the games we have watched for the past decade. We aren't playing the trap, but we also aren't touching the puck AT ALL. I would be very interested in seeing possession stats from all of our games if the NHL even tracks that. As a team we are terrible at passing, it is basically just Suzuki who can complete a pass in the offensive zone, and occasionally Matheson can get a puck out of the D-zone, we rely on the other team messing up to go on the rush.

People say "at least MSL makes the games exciting, I'd rather lose 6-5 than win 2-1". I can see how someone would think that, but so far the games really haven't been exciting this year. I hate watching these guys chase the puck around for 60 minutes hoping to get a counterattack goal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Allen has a history of playing well when he plays infrequently. Give him a start a week or fewer and hope someone likes the stats.
Not that other teams are not aware of his trend lines and his propensity to get injured when he’s overplayed but yeah, managing his playing time is where it’s at to get the best version of what he is.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Not that other teams are not aware of his trend lines and his propensity to get injured when he’s overplayed but yeah, managing his playing time is where it’s at to get the best version of what he is.
You only need one sucker, or one team that thinks they can fix his flaws. Get him talked up on TSN and hope to find a Bergevin type.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad