Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat Roy and the Isles

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Hated this game honestly Montreal was lucky that they managed to score 3 quick goals with 8 shoots on the goalie.

After that Montembault was saving their asses for the rest of the game.
That has been the story all season, Monty, Allen, and Primeau have all stolen the games we won with very few exceptions. This team has trouble showing up for 60 minutes and last night was another example of it. When we went up 3-0 some of us posted that it might not hold up and it shouldn't have but Monty stood on his head again.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm surprised I didn't think of this last night when the edibles had kicked in, but I wonder if the anthem singer knew there was a montages for Roy and that's why they wree cheering, or if she thought she was killing it and that's why they were so pumped.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Missed the game, what were X penalties' like?

soft high sticking call, and his interference penalty was a joke, teams were hitting away from the play all night. Struble did a disco move at the blueline and failed hard, he had a rough night as well for the most part. Goaltending saved the team, again. But we showed up for 1.5 periods which was nice.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I watched the replay of the game late last night and one thing is clear- Jayden Struble is an NHL Defenseman with easy top 4 upside. Yes Guhle might be better but don't bet against Struble becoming just as good.

Reactions: NewDef and Trabdy2

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So Wifi with 2 penalties, 3 in his first couple games back, not good, and ends up playing less than 12 minutes. Otherwise, thoughts on how he played ?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
That Gally hearing should've been an in person hearing. That was very dirty and complete garbage by Gally there.

Deliberately targeting and hitting another players head needs to be much more severely punished by the NHL to try and get these garbage hits out of the league.

Reactions: Tyson

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
That Gally hearing should've been an in person hearing. That was very dirty and complete garbage by Gally there.

Deliberately targeting and hitting another players head needs to be much more severely punished by the NHL to try and get these garbage hits out of the league.

I get it man, you just can't be making plays like that, like ever. But he's still one of ours.

I have a hard time believing the disgust at the play (even while warranted) would be at this level if it were any other hab.

Let's say Dach, or Slaf made this same stupid play, I promise you, most wouldn't be screaming for their heads or punishment with the same intensity.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
When your goalie steals a game it just doesn't feel like a win. You couple that with asshat Gallagher's elbow and there is nothing positive about this game, maybe Monahan's upped trade value and the resurgence of Cole Caufield.

I get it man, you just can't be making plays like that, like ever. But he's still one of ours.

I have a hard time believing the disgust at the play (even while warranted) would be at this level if it were any other hab.

Let's say Dach, or Slaf made this same stupid play, I promise you, you'd all wouldn't be screaming for their heads or punishment with the same intensity.
10+ year vets should know better.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
10+ year vets should know better.

Agreed, no excuses, dumb play, period. But the point still stands, all players know you shouldn't do that, young or old. It would be just as egregious no matter who did it.

If I were to say Monahan, would it make a difference?

The only difference would be the reaction IMO.

A stain on the sweater? Give me a break.

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Let's say Dach, or Slaf made this same stupid play, I promise you, most wouldn't be screaming for their heads or punishment with the same intensity.
To me there's just no defending that type of dirty hit IMO so it shouldn't matter if he's one of ours or not. It was a dumb and dangerous hit to another players head and should have no place in the game and if the NHL needs to give out a much more severe suspension to get that crap out of the game I'm all for it.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
To me there's just no defending that type of dirty hit IMO so it shouldn't matter if he's one of ours or not. It was a dumb and dangerous hit to another players head and should have no place in the game and if the NHL needs to give out a much more severe suspension to get that crap out of the game I'm all for it.

Not defending the play, as you said it's indefensible. Dumb is dumb.

I'm just not buying the fervor would be the same with anyone else.

Reactions: sheed36

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not defending the play, as you said it's indefensible. Dumb is dumb.

I'm just not buying the fervor would be the same with anyone else.

When you are a piss baby and you do another piss baby thing - you are gonna get more flack than a non piss baby.

We didn't get this mad at Byron because Byron was not a piss baby. Gallagher is a piss baby.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
When you are a piss baby and you do another piss baby thing - you are gonna get more flack than a non piss baby.

We didn't get this mad at Byron because Byron was not a piss baby. Gallagher is a piss baby.

LMAO!

I like you WTK, you're one of the smarter posters on this board and can see the bigger picture better than most. I enjoy reading your thoughts that you share, but this made me laugh pretty good for all the wrong reasons.

Thanks for that too. :)

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Doesn't matter how many offenses....Give him a minimum of 8 games. Minimum. That play has to be eradicated. Period.

Gally has been a fine player. Hearts out. Every night. But it comes a time when you know that it's time to move on. And while he could be on any team in a bottom 6 capacity....that amount of money was insane to begin with..imagine now. Idiot move by a guy who is just being in way over his head right now.
He’s not going anywhere. That contract is too long and too expensive to move or eat. People just need to accept it.

Good news is that it really doesn’t matter. We’re rebuilding, cap space isn’t an issue and he can ride in the bottom six as younger players come in.

But you’re absolutely right that he should be suspended. That was an awful hit.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Jul 6, 2016
If they trade him Hugo and MSL will have a lot of explaining to do.
They won't trade him for now.... It's all on Xhekay shoulders to prove that he can be an effective d-man at NHL level , not only an enforcer-goon. He has to play for the team and his teamates, not the crowd which is in love with him. Remember also that he was injured by two non-goons so far: Desharnais and Barbashev.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I wonder if St Louis will be as disappointed as when he thinks Xhekaj takes an unnecessary penalty.
Look not all penalties created equal.
When you up 3-0 or 3-1 …. Useless pénalités are way worst as you let other team back in the game

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
He at a minimum deserves 5 games. He embarrassed all Habs fans with that stupid action.
Come on man ,I know we all like to shit on gally me included . He embarrassed no one but himself , and in theory cost the game to his team . However they pulled it out with good effort after the penalty

Reactions: Samhockey3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad