Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat Roy and the Isles

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
That’s right no progression - Montembeault , Suzuki, Guhle, Caufield RHP, Kovacevic (late game) … bend but don’t break, but yeah there’s been zero progression
Evans has improved too imho. Strubble came in a welcoming environnement and thrived. Ylonen also plays better than last year, not that he'll be a fixture but he did improve. Armia is playing worth his contract lately too. But yeah, it's clearly not the coaching eh?

Reactions: tazsub3

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I dunno man it just seems weird to me to blame a player for his body breaking down. Especially one who eagerly sacrificed it for his team.

The anger is misplaced in my opinion, it should be pointed towards Bergevin but he's no longer here, so Gally gets it.

His contract is not his fault, nor is his failing body, we loved him for the way he played when healthy but are seeing the consequences of it now.

C'est la vie, it is what it is.

I just don't think a warrior like him deserves the scorn he gets for fighting too many battles.

Maybe it's me, but that's just the way I feel.
That’s fair, you’re entitled to that opinion. At the very least it should be proof that giving a player a contract based on what he did rather than what he will likely do going forward is likely never going to end up being good.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I wonder if Hughes is getting calls on Savard? Guys like him can really help a contender in the playoffs just for his shot blocking alone.
I'm pretty sure Savard could be traded for a 2nd with a handshake deal to come back next year to a similar 2 year contract to keep helping the kids. Even if he's on the 3rd pair in the second year and sometimes sat, still worth it.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I wonder if Hughes is getting calls on Savard? Guys like him can really help a contender in the playoffs just for his shot blocking alone.
I highly doubt it since he has another year left on his deal after this season.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I dunno man it just seems weird to me to blame a player for his body breaking down. Especially one who eagerly sacrificed it for his team.

The anger is misplaced in my opinion, it should be pointed towards Bergevin but he's no longer here, so Gally gets it.

His contract is not his fault, nor is his failing body, we loved him for the way he played when healthy but are seeing the consequences of it now.

C'est la vie, it is what it is.

I just don't think a warrior like him deserves the scorn he gets for fighting too many battles.

Maybe it's me, but that's just the way I feel.
People are pretty fickle. The guy gave his heart and soul here. And he was actually pretty good in the first half before dropping off.

I get it though, too long a deal for too much. But honestly he’s not hurting us now anyway so people should ease up.

That hit tonight though? Terrible. Deserves a suspension for that without question. He knows better.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
People are pretty fickle. The guy gave his heart and soul here. And he was actually pretty good in the first half before dropping off.

I get it though, too long a deal for too much. But honestly he’s not hurting us now anyway so people should ease up.

That hit tonight though? Terrible. Deserves a suspension for that without question. He knows better.
Gallagher’s really taking his live long enough to see yourself become the villain role seriously.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Bergevin should never ever GM again. Poster scrub for paying players for previous performance and loyalty instead of objective reality
Thing is, he paid the wrong players for past performance and loyalty. Gives Gallagher and Alzner big deals, yet stiff armed Markov and Radulov. It was clear at the end how Bergy wasnt signing or assessing players based off any logic or metric, it became more about how he felt about players.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

That hit tonight though? Terrible. Deserves a suspension for that without question. He knows

I think the injury that finally put an end to his effectiveness was in that covid year with the canadian division. He missed alot of time and then came back for the playoffs, but he's never really been the same.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Evans has improved too imho. Strubble came in a welcoming environnement and thrived. Ylonen also plays better than last year, not that he'll be a fixture but he did improve. Armia is playing worth his contract lately too. But yeah, it's clearly not the coaching eh?

I think Evans game took a dive after that Scheifele hit.

There were a few other players than just price and Weber who I think were never quite the same coming out of that covid run.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Hated this game honestly Montreal was lucky that they managed to score 3 quick goals with 8 shoots on the goalie.

After that Montembault was saving their asses for the rest of the game.

Well, this is what they do. The habs have not won any game comfortably this year. Even when they get out to a lead, they blow it, or it gets very close at least.

This game had the exact same story.

I certainly get annoyed by it, but I also recognize that the team is in a major Flux state right now. As the roster starts to introduce more of their pipeline guys, you hope they eventually start understanding how to play with a lead, how to play when you're tired etc..... these are a couple things this Flux roster has struggled with mightily.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's going back to Laval after the game on Saturday. We'll see if Montreal recalls him after their 9 day break.
Couldn’t find an announcement for Arber getting loaned to Laval (several Twitter users speculated it might happen) but MSL continuing to harp on him publicly can’t be good.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Xhekaj was benched for the rest of the game after his second penalty and was replaced by Struble:

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Couldn’t find an announcement for Arber getting loaned to Laval (several Twitter users speculated it might happen) but MSL continuing to harp on him publicly can’t be good.

He hasn't been loaned yet. Canadiens last game is Saturday then they're off for 9 days. I don't expect Xhekaj to be given a break. He'll be loaned back to Laval after the game in Pittsburgh.

Will they recall him after the break? Don't know.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He hasn't been loaned yet. Canadiens last game is Saturday then they're off for 9 days. I don't expect Xhekaj to be given a break. He'll be loaned back to Laval after the game in Pittsburgh.

Will they recall him after the break? Don't know.
I know he hasn’t but no one is confirming that he will be — they’re just speculating that he might, is all I was able to find. I guess it’s a where there’s smoke situation.

Despite Hughes saying no to offers for Xhekaj, not confident he’ll ever be trusted by MSL.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I know he hasn’t but no one is confirming that he will be — they’re just speculating that he might, is all I was able to find. I guess it’s a where there’s smoke situation.

Despite Hughes saying no to offers for Xhekaj, not confident he’ll ever be trusted by MSL.

Yeah, it's just speculation, but I'm 100% sure it will happen. Xhekaj needs to play.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah, it's just speculation, but I'm 100% sure it will happen. Xhekaj needs to play.
Yeah, that makes sense. Like you indicated earlier, who knows if he’d be called up again post AS break.

Don’t like to see the coach continuing to call out the player at post-game pressers. He should be handling that privately.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Doesn't matter how many offenses....Give him a minimum of 8 games. Minimum. That play has to be eradicated. Period.

Gally has been a fine player. Hearts out. Every night. But it comes a time when you know that it's time to move on. And while he could be on any team in a bottom 6 capacity....that amount of money was insane to begin with..imagine now. Idiot move by a guy who is just being in way over his head right now.

Reactions: DAChampion

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They're not going to trade Xhekaj. It's clear his indiscipline at the NHL level is a focus of his development and when you come back up from an AHL stint and three bad penalties in 3 periods, you are going to see the pine.

Message sending happens and yeah it sucks when it happens to your favorite player, but Xhekaj earned his demotion, he earned his promotion and he earned his benching. Y'all need to accept all three of those things are true.

Now on to Brendan Gallagher.
This guy f***ing sucks - especially his piss baby search Twitter for his ego then block anyone who said something bad about him.
Especially his jealousy of PK Subban and dog whistling when the subject came out.
Especially his terrible contract that Bergevin gave him.
If you're going to be a piece of shit, at least don't throw disgusting terrible hits.. but now he's doing that.

The sooner this clown goes on LTIR and stops embarrassing the sweater he wears, the better.

Reactions: Guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad