Habs clinch the PO! Byron blooming! Habs 6-2 vs Flo

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Shawn Thornton suffers from Bruins disease where he's entirely hypocritical and unaware that youtube exists.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
He is invisible way too often. That's the problem with the guy, his invisibility streaks last far longer than his white hot stretches. We certainly aren't going to benefit from his defensive play so I'm praying he flips the switch in the near future.

Don't care what anyone says, he isn't putting in the effort. When Gally was slumping...for a long time...you could at least tell he was putting forth the effort and he worked his way out doing that.

Galch is not playing his usual game, he used to want to the puck way more and he used to come out of the corner with it more often then not. Maybe we should put him back at center of that same line he is on now? :dunno:

Maybe we just wait a bit longer?

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
So, are we at a safe enough point to rest Weber & others who may need it? If Sens run the table we only need to go .5 now for Atlantic

One more game or is it safe now? Hmmm.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So, are we at a safe enough point to rest Weber & others who may need it? If Sens run the table we only need to go .5 now for Atlantic

One more game or is it safe now? Hmmm.

After the TB game on Saturday. After that it's Fla again, Buffalo, TB (in Mont) and Detroit.

Definitely rest players against Fla, Buffalo & Detroit. All 3 are meaningless games. No Price either. He can play the 2 TB games.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Also, Jason Demers gets a -5 +/- on the night.

Serves him right, for that god awful dive!

That was pathetic. Habs don't dive enough. The Marchessault & Demers penalties were both dives, which is why Patches & Weber went back at them.

Also, the Demers hit on Weber & the Petrovic hit on Martinsen were way worse than Emelin's hit.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Pretend that what Shawn Thornton said was said by someone else--someone you respect and admire. How would you respond then?

His assessment of Emelin is accurate. It would take the most homer fan not to see that. The problem is that the man delivering the assessment is also of questionable character despite what his fans may think. A player like Thornton is also what is wrong with the NHL.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Pretend that what Shawn Thornton said was said by someone else--someone you respect and admire. How would you respond then?

I still don't think it was a dirty hit. Emelin has had some dirty hits in the past, and has been penalized for them. He hits a ton, and it's almost always clean.

I'd also be a little wary of anyone calling Emelin a good defenseman in 2017, so I'd assume the person saying it has a history of concussions.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015

I would respond in shock, because anyone I respected or admired wouldn't say that to a reporter, they'd say it to the players face directly (usually after a few punches). Thornton is doing exactly what he is accusing Emelin of doing. Hiding.

He had 9 minutes to take care of "business" out there.

Someone I respect and admire would take the 2min instigator and settle things on the ice if he felt that strongly about it, and when asked about it afterwards would say nothing or no comment.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
s6Do4d9.gif

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I think Thornton has a point.

Whether a player hits guys with a dirty or clean check, it's generally treated the same by the players as long as the impact is high.

The response is a fight, and obviously Emelin can't do so because of his metal plates. That's going to rub a lot of people the wrong way, and truth be told, it would rub me the wrong way too if Emelin played for another team.

But for Thornton to basically claim that these types of players only exist today is not all that accurate either. Big hitters haven't always been big fighters. Ulanov, Samuelsson, and volchenkov come to mind right away. Sure they probably had a few fights, but I don't think they were exactly known for backing up their delivered blows.

Emelin is on the same spectrum as those guys, although if we want to separate them by degrees of dirtiness, he would be on the lower end with volchenkov.

Jul 6, 2016
More fun stats:

The Habs are 36-5 when scoring 3 goals, that's the best winning % in the NHL.

Just imagine if Galchy, Gally and Plekanec would had score more goals this season.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
What does Emelin supposed to do then? Playing on the edge and hitting players hard is his bread and butter. He got his 4M$ because of that. Yeah it sucks for his opponents that they cannot challenged him in a fight after a borderline hit but Emelin cannot take the risk to end his career or losing an eye or whatever because he has accept the challenge of the Thornton of this world.

I understand both sides but they just have to live with it.

I also don't think his hit on Mackenzie yesterday was dirty, it was just a hard hit. I didn't like what Marc Denis', who I think is doing a great job as an analyst, comments on Emelin.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I understand where Thorton is coming from, but fighting is illegal in hockey. I get the old school code and what not but its still not a legal part of hockey and it doesn't make sense to expect a player to partake in something illegal. So saying a player who plays on the edge and hits a lot should be expected to take an ass whipping is an outdated view. Its because of these viewes hockey players are dying from brain trauma. These guys want to play hockey not become bare knuckle brawlers. Get the number and lay the body next time.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That was pathetic. Habs don't dive enough. The Marchessault & Demers penalties were both dives, which is why Patches & Weber went back at them.

Also, the Demers hit on Weber & the Petrovic hit on Martinsen were way worse than Emelin's hit.

Yup how many times have we seen the first blown call on that type of play send the game into a different realm?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think Thornton has a point.

Whether a player hits guys with a dirty or clean check, it's generally treated the same by the players as long as the impact is high.

I don't think he has.

Fighting is not part of the game. It's tolerated but it's still a penalty. Hits are part of the game.

What i ask of players is to not be hypocrite. Emelin is not an hypocrite. When he receives a hit he acts the same exact way than when when he distributes them. When someone hits Emelin hard he gets up and start playing hockey again without complaining to anybody.

He doesn't fight. He doesn't have to. It's not legal to fight. What players can do is hit him hard like he does. Sadly Thronton is not quick enough for that. And it's not because Emelin is fast ... if Thornton is not fast enough for this league it's not Emelin's problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad