Confirmed with Link: Habs Claim Kale Clague Off Waivers

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Clague on waivers, I think we will claim him

Hard to say if we do. Bergevin did focus on depth but Gorton might not cause he wants to develop our own. If we claim Clauge, what kind of development message does this send to Romanov, Norlinder, Harris, etc?

I smell tanko moves. Play what you have

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Hard to say if we do. Bergevin did focus on depth but Gorton might not cause he wants to develop our own. If we claim Clauge, what kind of development message does this send to Romanov, Norlinder, Harris, etc?

I smell tanko moves. Play what you have
Harris is not here, Norlinder can go back in Sweden and it doesn't change nothing for Romanov, it's more I prefer having Clague then Wideman/Niku/Schunneman

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Harris is not here, Norlinder can go back in Sweden and it doesn't change nothing for Romanov, it's more I prefer having Clague then Wideman/Niku/Schunneman

Doesn't matter. You claim him and he becomes part of the team moving forward. He's a pending UFA like Niku is and becomes a contract. We are at 47 at the moment so if we are going to make moves at the deadline and pick up potential prospects, we might need those contract room. Maybe

I'm not against making that claim but I wonder if Gorton is just going to let what we have play out.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Doesn't matter. You claim him and he becomes part of the team moving forward. He's a pending UFA like Niku is and becomes a contract. We are at 47 at the moment so if we are going to make moves at the deadline and pick up potential prospects, we might need those contract room. Maybe

I'm not against making that claim but I wonder if Gorton is just going to let what we have play out.
Well we don't have to qualify him and he becomes a UFA that way

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well we don't have to qualify him and he becomes a UFA that way

What happens if you get into a serious trade discussion at this deadline where you are getting a few prospects back and only shipping out Price (for example). If we make this claim, we are at 48 contracts. A little to close for comfort if you ask me. And trying to send contracts the other way is more trickier than we may realize.

What's the point of claiming anyone and releasing them in the off season? To make the team better or easier to watch if we still loose? I would hate if Gorton made moves like that to please the fans emotional feelings

Reactions: 1timt123

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
What happens if you get into a serious trade discussion at this deadline where you are getting a few prospects back and only shipping out Price (for example). If we make this claim, we are at 48 contracts. A little to close for comfort if you ask me. And trying to send contracts the other way is more trickier than we may realize.

What's the point of claiming anyone and releasing them in the off season? To make the team better or easier to watch if we still loose? I would hate if Gorton made moves like that to please the fans emotional feelings

If the prospect isn't under contract, then he won't count towards the contract limit (of course). But players can always be waived, and we're 99% likely to trade Chiarot's contract at the deadline, maybe Kulak, Perreault too. I have no doubt we could also move Lehkonen IF we wanted, though I wouldn't mind holding on to him. Point being we have plenty of flexibility with the contract limit.

The point in making a trade is simple roster management. We have to ice a team, and if injuries are going to be a factor, maybe Shueneman isn't an option for more than a game or two. Also, since we will be trading Chiarot at the deadline, this gives us a replacement for the rest of the season in advance.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the prospect isn't under contract, then he won't count towards the contract limit (of course). But players can always be waived, and we're 99% likely to trade Chiarot's contract at the deadline, maybe Kulak, Perreault too. I have no doubt we could also move Lehkonen IF we wanted, though I wouldn't mind holding on to him. Point being we have plenty of flexibility with the contract limit.

The point in making a trade is simple roster management. We have to ice a team, and if injuries are going to be a factor, maybe Shueneman isn't an option for more than a game or two. Also, since we will be trading Chiarot at the deadline, this gives us a replacement for the rest of the season in advance.

I like the flexibility and if Clague is not considered a future piece, it's pointless to make the claim. What's the point? To have someone better that Wideman in a tank year?

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I like the flexibility and if Clague is not considered a future piece, it's pointless to make the claim. What's the point? To have someone better that Wideman in a tank year?

Its not a big deal one way or the other. If we have sustained long term injuries the point is simply to ice a roster and not throw our prospects to the wolves.

Reactions: Habsrule

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Its not a big deal one way or the other. If we have sustained long term injuries the point is simply to ice a roster and not throw our prospects to the wolves.

I wonder how many of our prospect need ELC after this year? 47 contracts right now but 26 in place for next season so far.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Clague on waivers, I think we will claim him

I was surprised he made it through last time, I think he gets picked so I thought it should be it's own thread.

I wonder how many of our prospect need ELC after this year? 47 contracts right now but 26 in place for next season so far.

Harris, Olofsson, Stapley, Gorniak, will join Guhle and Mysak who are under contract but don't currently count against the 50.

Plus you have Kostenko and Gordin who aren't under contract yet in Russia, no clue if there's a plan to bring them over or not.

Then you have guys who they may or may not want to sign in Struble, Dichow, Vrbetic, Simoneau and Trudeau are eligible for Laval.

Out of that group after Guhle and Mysak though I assume not many will be signed.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

There should not be any reality where Chiarot is still a hab after deadline.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Why not claim him? In a ideal world, we trade every valuable assets possible not named Caufield/Suzuki/Ghule/Romanov/Poehling and let's start claiming guy on waivers if there is holes to fill. The Barre-Boulet and Aube-Kubel of this world should have been pick up as pluggin. Even some UFAs could come and fill the "holes" left by those trade. As nothing to do with the long term vision Gorton has for this team, it's just a transition phase and any player will do the job during the tank years. Let's stack on those 1st,2nd and 3rd round pick to buff our prospect pool and add unto that at least 3 years of sucking where we finally get some elite talent with our top pick.

Reactions: Habsrule

Jul 6, 2016
Another smallish leftie. No better than Niku.

Gonna fit well in Ottawa with Mete.....

Last edited:
Reactions: shanewalsh

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Dennis Bernstein this aft said that Clague is no better than a 7th-8th D who is offensively challenged, FWIW.

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad