Post-Game Talk: Habs can't tank for beans, earn loser point in Shootout vs. Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Goalies are never consistent. Literally every top goalie has had off years. Holtby, Schinder, Bobrovsky, Lundqvist, Rinne, Rask. But that's why you should never give them massive contracts.
Let not kid ourselves, Carey Price will NOT return to his non-knee injury days when he won both the Hart and Vezina Trophies in the same season. That ship has sailed. Besides, he’s 30 and not 26. Aging slows down natural reflexes.

The Habs will pay him $84M for his past brilliance and they are delusional in believing he is beloved of the fans who will give him the Bronx Cheers next season when his GAA is 2.99 and save percentage hovers around .900 which is great for Ben Bishop, but not for the supposed greatest goaltender in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: mariolemieux66

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
We need niemi to return to his former self

The goalie who won the Cup for the Hawks, or the one who stunk up Dallas? Good for him, finding his game in Montreal, when everyone talked about him like heaping trash. Hope he is back next year.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
As people say price is a superstar and franchise player, I was thinking more Brodeur and hasek. As that is the category he seems to be placed in by some here.
You forget the greatest goalie of all times, Patrick Roy.

Reactions: Pickles

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
What excuses are you talking about? You’re writing him off in his early 30’s because of one bad season. This whole obsession fans have with the whole “Superstar” or “Best in the world” label is ridiculous. Who cares what the media or certain fans say. If you can name a “superstar” goalie that has played on a team even close to as weak as the one we iced this year, please name them instead of just making a bold statement. Montreal fans are funny when it comes to this. People pump up one of our players tires and then a specific part of the fanbase starts whining like they’re Toronto fans.

We likely are better off without Price masking a lot of things the last 4 or 5 years, but that’s on management, not him. If we traded him tomorrow, I don’t think a lot of people would complain as it would be a step in the right direction as building around a goalie is flawed to begin with. Management handed him the blank cheque, that’s not on him. He’d be clinically insane not to take $70 million is guaranteed money. He had a firm grip on their nuts because he performed and they deserved to get bend over with how long they allowed it to go on for. You making it sound like Price is some unredeemable piece because of 43 games where he didn’t play well just sounds ridiculous. Let it play out more then one year before you come to the conclusion he’s finished. A poster a page back just named several goalies who have had down years.
More price excuses. Yeah the contract is stupid. Because price never earned it.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
The goalie who won the Cup for the Hawks, or the one who stunk up Dallas? Good for him, finding his game in Montreal, when everyone talked about him like heaping trash. Hope he is back next year.
What would happen to Carey Price next season if his backups Charlie Lindgren, Niemi and Furcale greatly outplay him? His backups’ combined salaries are under $2M while Price will rake in a cool $10.5M pro-rated although his signing bonus is $70M.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
You forget the greatest goalie of all times, Patrick Roy.
Roy was inconsistent. However he was a superstar in the playoffs. Price not so much.

My point is that some posters here think the player is a superstar. He is not in my opinion.

This has been debated to death here. I’ll stop posting on price now.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
What excuses are you talking about? You’re writing him off in his early 30’s because of one bad season. This whole obsession fans have with the whole “Superstar” or “Best in the world” label is ridiculous. Who cares what the media or certain fans say. If you can name a “superstar” goalie that has played on a team even close to as weak as the one we iced this year, please name them instead of just making a bold statement. Montreal fans are funny when it comes to this. People pump up one of our players tires and then a specific part of the fanbase starts whining like they’re Toronto fans.

We likely are better off without Price masking a lot of things the last 4 or 5 years, but that’s on management, not him. If we traded him tomorrow, I don’t think a lot of people would complain as it would be a step in the right direction as building around a goalie is flawed to begin with. Management handed him the blank cheque, that’s not on him. He’d be clinically insane not to take $70 million is guaranteed money. He had a firm grip on their nuts because he performed and they deserved to get bend over with how long they allowed it to go on for. You making it sound like Price is some unredeemable piece because of 43 games where he didn’t play well just sounds ridiculous. Let it play out more then one year before you come to the conclusion he’s finished. A poster a page back just named several goalies who have had down years.
And yes I am writing Price off. That is my position. Based on evidence.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Price is supposed to be a superstar right?

Superstar goalies are absolutely consistent. Year after year. Unless there is an obvious injury. They don’t have ‘down’ years.

**** I’m getting sick of the price excuses here.

I never liked the pick at number 5.

Price is a curse on this team. Without him they would have had to rebuild and find a no 1 c 5 years ago.

And now price does **** all. Price is the thing I dislike the most about this team. By far. And now at 10.5 mill for 8 years. What a nightmare.
Carey Price was a great regular season goalie who has not won a Stanley Cup because during the playoffs, he wasn’t outstanding enough to get the Habs into the Conference Championship Series and then to the Stanley Cup Final. Some here will argue that the Habs weren’t like the Blackhawks (3 Cups), Kings (2 Cups) and the Penguins (2 recent Cups) whose teams had better offense and didn’t need to rely on goalies Niemi, Crawford, Quick, Murray and Fleury to be super spectacular.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Let not kid ourselves, Carey Price will NOT return to his non-knee injury days when he won both the Hart and Vezina Trophies in the same season. That ship has sailed. Besides, he’s 30 and not 26. Aging slows down natural reflexes.

The Habs will pay him $84M for his past brilliance and they are delusional in believing he is beloved of the fans who will give him the Bronx Jeers next season when his GAA is 2.99 and save percentage hovers around .900 which is great for Ben Bishop, but not for the supposed greatest goaltender in the world.

Guaranteed contracts have to end in the NHL. They are causing lockouts every 6 years. Yes if a player is injured pay him a very good pension. If he plays for ten years pay him a good pension.

But if a player just starts to play badly due to age or laziness or personal issues, he deserves 8 years of pay for being a bad player?

Man I would love that in my profession.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

The Habs will pay him $84M for his past brilliance and they are delusional in believing he is beloved of the fans who will give him the Bronx Jeers next season when his GAA is 2.99 and save percentage hovers around .900 which is great for Ben Bishop, but not for the supposed greatest goaltender in the world.
Exactly.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
With this team it's not accurate to say the ship has sailed.

It hasn't just sailed. Its wreck has been stuck at the bottom of the Mediterranean sea for over 2000 years.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

I really hope Price asked to be moved, i dont care about the return, just get him out of town so we can move on with the rebuild. We are not winning with or without Price for another 5 years, so why keep him?

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Guaranteed contracts have to end in the NHL. They are causing lockouts every 6 years. Yes if a player is injured pay him a very good pension. If he plays for ten years pay him a good pension.

But if a player just starts to play badly due to age or laziness or personal issues, he deserves 8 years of pay?

Man I would love that in my profession.
In the CFL, players' signed contracts mean nothing. Non-productive players get cut weekly. In the NHL, once a player has played 400 games and is injured and can longer play, he receives an NHL pension. In Montreal, GM Marc Bergevin thought he didn't want a Steven Stamkos season long distraction weighing on his club and on his "franchise" player Carey Price so with owner Geoff Molson's blessing and approval, Bergey went to Price's agent to get Price re-signed one year before his contract was to expire. The $10M+ per season figure had been publicized and being that they want Price to retire as a Canadien, the maximum 8-year terms was a non-issue.

So, with a humongous Pay Day ahead of him, Price's play was apathetic at times, certainly not vintage Price and of course the fans should not expect spectacular play reminiscent of the season when he won both the Hart and Vezina Trophies. Due to his knee problems since, he is at most 90% of his hey days. Then recently, Price surmised that he might have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which caused his mediocre play.

In both the PK Subban and Carey Price cases, Geoff Molson overpaid thinking that the Bell Ccntre will be standing room only for every game and his Molson Canadian will reach top sales season after season so Habs' fans should take that into consideration Price's $84M New Deal ($70M signing bonus).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad