Habs Brass Inability to make a decision

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
It is funny how attitude problems are different from sport to sport. Look at what "Attitude Problems" mean in the NFL, to have attitude problems you have to be getting arrested for gun charges and stuff.

I feel like the attitude problems excuse is so poor in the NHL, that is what justified Seguin's ticket out of Boston and look how he is doing now.

Beaulieu will be fine, so what if he is a little selfish.

Attitude is one thing, poor work ethic is quite another. I have not been following him in the AHL, so this is only on what I read, but if he is packing it in, in the AHL, well he doesn't deserve to be in the NHL.

habitue*

Man we would go nuts if we develop our players like Detroit does. They kept Smith down in Grand Rapids for almost three full seasons. What is so complicated about leaving a prospect to develop in the AHL until there is A: A clear roster spot for him or B: Dominates in the AHL.

That's the way to go unless you have a rookie superstar like Crosby or McKinnon in your hands. All the other kids should play at AHL level for a while.

I don'tbeleive a 18 or 19 y old young guy is learning that much playing a handful of minutes at NHL level.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
There was word that beaulieu was sent down during the olympics and acted like he didn't care and that's why they sent tinordi up instead. I personally think beaulieu is a nutcase, but prejudice aside, he can't take the physical play of the NHL just yet... or at least he can't sustain it for a long period of time ... 82 games ? forget about it he needs to bulk up. If he doesn't, he can't play ... its that simple. its on him to do it, and im sure he's getting told on a daily basis.

Tinordi has the best chance to stay for that reason. He has what it take to go through large chuncks of a season. He needs to be faster on his first steps ...I think that alone will help him a lot... when he's at top speed he's moving quite fast for his frame but his acceleration is bad imho. That's why he can't make up for a small positioning mistake, and that's why he rushes the play when he gets chased. Seems like he can't take one or two strides to make a more technical play. (Ie: better pass that is harder to anticipate).

The one im worried about is Bournival. just hope his confidence was preserved this year. if not, I'd have to agree with the op about him but as far as tinordi and beaulieu are concerned... they haven't showed me they did everything they could to be part of the habs, unlike bournival. And for those who thought eller was in MT's doghouse ... I wouldn't have hesitated to scratch him or Moen for Bournival more often. he brought a lot of energy to the table.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
Defense is so tough to learn on the NHL level so I agree with most posters here--Giving them 10 game tryouts is a great growing tool. Tinordi made a bad play last night. He may get away with that in Hamilton but up here they are faster, bigger and alot more skill. He will learn from it. We actually have considerable depth that we are training well. I am sure MB is having conversation with each one-- You deserved your shot, this is where you can improve on, go back down and work etc.

habitue*

There was word that beaulieu was sent down during the olympics and acted like he didn't care and that's why they sent tinordi up instead. I personally think beaulieu is a nutcase, but prejudice aside, he can't take the physical play of the NHL just yet... or at least he can't sustain it for a long period of time ... 82 games ? forget about it he needs to bulk up. If he doesn't, he can't play ... its that simple. its on him to do it, and im sure he's getting told on a daily basis.

Tinordi has the best chance to stay for that reason. He has what it take to go through large chuncks of a season. He needs to be faster on his first steps ...I think that alone will help him a lot... when he's at top speed he's moving quite fast for his frame but his acceleration is bad imho. That's why he can't make up for a small positioning mistake, and that's why he rushes the play when he gets chased. Seems like he can't take one or two strides to make a more technical play. (Ie: better pass that is harder to anticipate).

The one im worried about is Bournival. just hope his confidence was preserved this year. if not, I'd have to agree with the op about him but as far as tinordi and beaulieu are concerned... they haven't showed me they did everything they could to be part of the habs, unlike bournival. And for those who thought eller was in MT's doghouse ... I wouldn't have hesitated to scratch him or Moen for Bournival more often. he brought a lot of energy to the table.

You know darn well that coaches will always give more ice time to veteran players who have bigger contracts than to youngsters. Bourque is the one who really blocked Bournival progress. The arrival of Vanek combined with his concussion meant that he would not be in the line uo on a regular basis. Better for him to be in Hamilton to play a lot and re gain his confidence.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
You know darn well that coaches will always give more ice time to veteran players who have bigger contracts than to youngsters. Bourque is the one who really blocked Bournival progress. The arrival of Vanek combined with his concussion meant that he would not be in the line uo on a regular basis. Better for him to be in Hamilton to play a lot and re gain his confidence.

ah for sure, but in the case of bourque you can argue that they tried to move him and made him play a little more games because of that. but if they knew they wouldn't play bournival more, they should have sent him down a little earlier. Bournival should stay in Hamilton until playoffs start and get a call up at that point. He's a guy I wouldn't mind playing in the postseason. Low risk, high possible reward. good for his confidence.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
My beef with Habs is this: do they really think we can win against the big boys with Weaver, Cube, and Murray as three of our six defensemen? I don't.

But, I'm thinking maybe next year by the mid point of the season Tins, Beaulieu, and maybe even Paternyn are able to take over for three of the above mentioned.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
That's the way to go unless you have a rookie superstar like Crosby or McKinnon in your hands. All the other kids should play at AHL level for a while.

I don'tbeleive a 18 or 19 y old young guy is learning that much playing a handful of minutes at NHL level.

And a guy like Galchenyuk, it was good to keep him with the team and he would have not have gained anything by going back to Sarnia.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I'm starting to think Pateryn isn't ever gonna make it here... We don't have any RH dman except for Subban and Weaver (whatever) and through all these call ups he never ever got a shot and he seems to have been the most consistent player for the dogs this year... Plus, he'll be 24 next year... I guess he's just not good enough and never will be, cause I can't see any reason why he hasn't gotten his shot yet, really he seems to be everything this team would need on the right side...

As far as Beaulieu and Tinordi are concerned, I think they're being handle very well actually. It kind of reminds me of how I was taught to practice as a classical musician.. when you want to reach the next level or learn a very difficult piece that is over your current abilities, you try it slow first, very slow, nice and easy. Then, once in a while, you up the tempo, then you go back to slow, then back up, then back down, and so on and so forth, until it becomes so natural than you don't have to worry about being overmatched and if you make a mistake during a performance, you're not freaking out, you're still in control. Well I think the hans are having the same approach with these 2 young guys.. Defence is very hard to learn and the game is so fast, so they're letting them have a taste of the real thing here and there and eventually, they'll catch up.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Beaulieu-Tinordi. I think both have looked really good actually. Sure they've made some rookie mistakes here and there but they are two really strong D prospects.

I also think people underestimate how hard it is to play defense in the NHL and how important it is to learn in baby steps.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
It kind of reminds me of how I was taught to practice as a classical musician.. when you want to reach the next level or learn a very difficult piece that is over your current abilities, you try it slow first, very slow, nice and easy. Then, once in a while, you up the tempo, then you go back to slow, then back up, then back down, and so on and so forth, until it becomes so natural than you don't have to worry about being overmatched and if you make a mistake during a performance, you're not freaking out, you're still in control. Well I think the hans are having the same approach with these 2 young guys.. Defence is very hard to learn and the game is so fast, so they're letting them have a taste of the real thing here and there and eventually, they'll catch up.
There is nothing more difficult than to be a world class piano/violin/cello player etc. All the respect.

But the point you miss is that YOU work your ass off at your instrument. The same can be said of great NHL players. They spend hours and hours alone practicing what they need to. Themselves, alone.

I was a crap player who had some good moments. I could not turn to the right well, meaning instinctively I turned away from the play too often. Coaches made me aware of this, and from age 14 I spent a lot of time alone skating without a stick, turning right, again and again and again. In any rink, any time there was free skating. Doing the face off circles, turning right, backwards too.

And that was in crap leagues, not the NHL. The point is, all good NHL players must spend countless hours, alone, working on their weaknesses. Lafleur used to spend hours alone, skating and shooting, over and over and over.

The same applies to Beaulieu. I'm not talking about skating with him, but does he work on his weaknesses, alone? I hope so, because I like the player a lot.

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa
As for Beaulieu, nobody really knows why he was not called back after the Olympics.

It was reported several times that he just coasted and stopped giving a **** once he returned to Hamilton. Bergevin and Co. noticed (he has a track record for this) and decided that if he thinks he secured a spot on the team and can take a month off, he is wrong.

On topic, I don't think they have mishandled Tinordi, he is just progressing very very slowly. He will be a solid 3-4 defensive dman in the future, but he makes mistakes offensively and doesn't play nearly as physical as he should. Beaulieu 100% deserves a spot on the team over Tinordi, Murray, and Bouillon, but he's being taught a lesson. At some point, the organization should accept that he is a tool and value him for what he does in a Habs jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad