Post-Game Talk: Habs blow 2 goal lead again lose 5-2 to Rags

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Go look at their xG which measures where the shot comes from.

Go look at the heat maps which also do this.

Go compare them to the rest of the league.

I prefer stats to your anecdotes

The shots are from.quality areas. The players taking the shots are just not good enough shooters. Give Ovechkin 10 shots from the circle. Give those same 10 shots with 4 to nick cousins, 3 to jordy weal, 3 to Tatar (had to include a good scorer too)... and tell me which team is gonna score more.
Which is why I've been saying system wise, I don't think Julien is that bad. He's miles ahead of Therrien in terms of structure.

What kills us is lacking elite talent and Julien negating the benefits of his system with his preference for limited veterans.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Which is why I've been saying system wise, I don't think Julien is that bad. He's miles ahead of Therrien in terms of structure.

What kills us is lacking elite talent and Julien negating the benefits of his system with his preference for limited veterans.

The biggest criticism of julien is that this defensive system gives up far too much from those same.high danger areas... breakaways and odd man rushes. The PK also needs to be fixed in a huge way.

The offensive.game plan is actually pretty good... and its lack of talent that is holding them back. They need an elite finisher.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Go look at their xG which measures where the shot comes from.

Go look at the heat maps which also do this.

Go compare them to the rest of the league.

I prefer stats to your anecdotes

The shots are from.quality areas. The players taking the shots are just not good enough shooters. Give Ovechkin 10 shots from the circle. Give those same 10 shots with 4 to nick cousins, 3 to jordy weal, 3 to Tatar (had to include a good scorer too)... and tell me which team is gonna score more.

The impression I get is our players are often under duress as they are trying to unload and yes they lack the one time and release capabilities of an Ovie or a Pasta. They don't strike anyone as being anything other than weak boxed out attempts.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The impression I get is our players are often under duress as they are trying to unload and yes they lack the one time and release capabilities of an Ovie or a Pasta. They don't strike anyone as being anything other than weak boxed out attempts.

I dont think that view is supported by the numbers.

Again the advantage of the numbers is that we can compare the habs to every other team cause none of us are watching every game of every team... the numbers showing where the shots come from is important

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I dont think that view is supported by the numbers.

Again the advantage of the numbers is that we can compare the habs to every other team cause none of us are watching every game of every team... the numbers showing where the shots come from is important

No the view is supported by watching the games. Posters have been bombarding us with heat maps for three seasons now. The numbers just don't add up to squat. Which goes back to my original post we don't dominate anything ever.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
No the view is supported by watching the games. Posters have been bombarding us with heat maps for three seasons now. The numbers just don't add up to squat. Which goes back to my original post we don't dominate anything ever.

Im going to trust the numbers over your eye test, no offence. This is especially true when there is an easy explanation of both the strong heatmaps and lack of team success. Our shooters are just not talented enough.

Much easier to believe that, then to say the team is only taking perimeter shots when the evidence doesnt support that theory.

Im a fan of the objective evidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad