Habs best first rounder from the last 12 years

Pick 1, if you can.

• Total voters

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I'm not a fan of Timmins, but with this many failed picks, one has to wonder if the problem is not so much the drafting part, but the development part.

I think we can look at this starting with Sergachev. Sly never got a chance to develop him, nor any of the players after.

That said, maybe outside of Juulsen who just had a bunch of bad luck, the other players had some significant flaws. Could be the player, environment or development, or all three.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
The player with the rawest skill and best size was Sherbak with Galchenyuk close second. Caufield is small if he was 6’0 it would be different.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Timmins hasn't been running the draft since 2013 and somehow still gets all of the criticism because no one has any insight to the rest of our draft team. Not that Timmins should stay, he's been here nearly 20 years and this is one of our weakest areas.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Timmins hasn't been running the draft since 2013 and somehow still gets all of the criticism because no one has any insight to the rest of our draft team. Not that Timmins should stay, he's been here nearly 20 years and this is one of our weakest areas.

That’s bullshit. He’s the head of the table. Of course he has the final say and input.

Even if what you say were true, the picks from 2008-2013 should get him fired. He’s a f***ing hack riding off the coattails of 2007.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Went with Serg because he actually has been in the NHL, won a cup and has generally been a good dman for Tampa. Hard to pick any of the last 3 guys as they have little to no NHL games. Caufield is burning up the NCAA but at his size who knows how it will translate to the NHL. Kotkaniemi could be a great one but still has to learn more and get more chance to develop.

If you wan to look for a "silver lining" with these picks, 6 are currently in the NHL and McCarron has also played a few games for Nashville I believe. Funny to see both hulking picks, McCarron and Tinordi, play for Nashville now!

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
If you want to cry, take a look at ALL the players we drafted since 2008 : Montreal Canadiens Draft History at hockeydb.com

You can count on exactly one hand the useful players.

Z-wAxO.gif

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Ah Leblanc, has it been already 12 years? I remember at the time when "Leblanc" was drafted in Montreal, I knew nothing about him but thought: "wow, that is a real hockey player's name". Unfortunately I think the scouts who suggested him based their decision on that one criteria

Reactions: Tuggy

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
Ah Leblanc, has it been already 12 years? I remember at the time when "Leblanc" was drafted in Montreal, I knew nothing about him but thought: "wow, that is a real hockey player's name". Unfortunately I think the scouts who suggested him based their decision on that one criteria

I was there. I shouted for Kreider from the rafters but was drowned out by the Leblanc chants.

Reactions: Conflicted Habs fan

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Tinordi; was injured, only played 88 NHL games , too slow for the league
Beaulieu; 389 NHL games but missed a lot of games because injuries
Galchenyuk; a 30 goals season, 2nd in points in his draft class, nightlife
Juulsen, Was very promising but big injuries kept him out for 2 years. Still a projet
Sergachev; very good selection but was sacrificed for an elite forward :)laugh:)
Poehling, Still waiting showed good things but also bad ones
KK, belong 10 younger players of the NHL at his 3rd season , shows progresses
Caufield showing incredible skills, dominates his league
Guhle yet is good in his AHL games, waiting to return to his junior's team

A lot of players that made the NHL, but that didn't top the expectations of the fans .
Of course there will always be several fans that will bring the " this player was better" narrative. We can do the same exercise with all the organizations and we will get the same result

Reactions: ultra63

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There is one (1) that's a bonafide top-4 defenceman or top-6 forward. He doesn't play for us and has a bunch of holes in his game.

Maybe Kotkaniemi if he puts it together?

Pathetic.
I am starting to think by being rushed he will not pan out. No way he should have been in the NHL as a barely 18 year old. Hard to properly develop in a pressure cooker.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
What are the excuses Marc has served to Molson for this fiasco? Aside from Mathias Brunet, Timmins' valet, who can defend this?

This is like the Leafs of the Ballard era.
You know your hockey history well. We are in a Harold Ballard type of era.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Would he still develop the same way had he stayed here? I am starting to wonder if we are not bringing the best out of our picks.
Tampa drafts and develops Brayden Point at 79th overall while the Habs draft and develop Brett Lernout at 73rd overall.

Habs draft Brady Vail 94th while Columbus drafts Josh Anderson at 95.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
You know your hockey history well. We are in a Harold Ballard type of era.

When I was much younger, and Ballard was in Toronto, I thought it was hilarious that his GMs would trade all of their promising youngins early in their careers, all the reverse of what we were doing in Montreal.

Marc Bergevin has been the most active GM in the league in his 10 year stint here. And that's never a good sign. It does look like the Ballard years.

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2