Habs best first rounder from the last 12 years

Pick 1, if you can.

• Total voters

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
When I was much younger, and Ballard was in Toronto, I thought it was hilarious that his GMs would trade all of their promising youngins early in their careers, all the reverse of what we were doing in Montreal.

Marc Bergevin has been the most active GM in the league in his 10 year stint here. And that's never a good sign. It does look like the Ballard years.
I have always maintained that Bergevin has never really had a true plan about how to build this team. Every team during his tenure has been built all wrong.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Just based on stats, I had to vote Galchenyuk. KK, Guhle and CC is way too early.

Of course, I don’t think much of Chuck now but he had a good run with us for a short while.

So did Poehling. His first season up with us.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
It's sad when The Oilers have developed their prospects better than your team in the past decade.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
D3C61872-559D-43A2-BE24-2AD05660AD0F.jpeg

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
How has TT still been around. Just gripping that 07 draft for all its worth
Size and Nashville really needs a 6-7 type dman with size?

I mean he has only played 7 of their 18 games and McCarron has played 3 of 18 and is back in the AHL I believe.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
Drafting has been a major problem with this team for a long time. Since 2005 you’d read about the “golden generation” of kids coming up like A Kost.

This ineptitude has been across GMs, coaches, owners, minor league coaches and ECHL affiliates.

Fire TT already, and every other scout to boot. The guy hasn’t been handcuffed for 20 years, he’s just garbage.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
what a boring crowd around here :laugh:

Just negative comments, one after the others ; A complete inability to put a context, to consider injuries, maturity, nightlife and addictions, to realize that most of the other franchises get the same schema of results. Timmins picks players with potential. Why do you blame him when a 30 goals scorer turns into a borderline NHL's because of his nightlife ? why blame him because Juulsen was severely injured ?

Guys, you aren't negative because the Timmins tenure but because you enjoy to be negative. You like to demolish someone, or something. :thumbd:

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Looking at that list, we should have at least developed talent from that to do something impactful.

IMO Timmins deserves 30% of blame while the development phase (Habs org, Sly , Toe nails, CJ et al. ) deserve 70% of the blame. Sure you can tweak the numbers but seriously how in the f*** was this even acceptable to management?? :madfire:

:cry:

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Wow 2008 was especially terrible. That's a sad, sad draft history. Yet, we are building through the draft!?! Not much else to say really.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
The best one wasn’t developed by us what a shocker

TBay Serg isn’t as good as he is if he stayed in Montreal. Therrien/Julien would’ve ruined him

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The best player is Sergachev, the best prospect was Galchenyuk.

That list really highlights how truly atrocious our development was, because if it was a scouting problem you'd expect to get lucky once in a while. It's pretty telling that the best player was the guy we didn't develop followed by guys 20 and under who still have that new prospect shine.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The best player is Sergachev, the best prospect was Galchenyuk.

That list really highlights how truly atrocious our development was, because if it was a scouting problem you'd expect to get lucky once in a while. It's pretty telling that the best player was the guy we didn't develop followed by guys 20 and under who still have that new prospect shine.
Gallagher and Sergachev were those lucky players once in a while. There are players that have done well despite horrendous development, you would think that we would draft at least one like that since Gallagher. Not to mention that not every drafted player played in the AHL where we control the development. Why couldn't we get a stud jumping straight from junior, college, a European league or Russian league?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Gallagher and Sergachev were those lucky players once in a while. There are players that have done well despite horrendous development, you would think that we would draft at least one like that since Gallagher. Not to mention that not every drafted player played in the AHL where we control the development. Why couldn't we get a stud jumping straight from junior, college, a European league or Russian league?

Getting one late round pick that turns into a stud, and a few others who make the NHL but aren't anything special is in line with what expectations should be. Arguably we should have gotten a few more 4th liners but there shouldn't be an expectation that we get Gallagher level players from those types of picks. The same isn't true with 1st round picks, you have much better odds of getting a stud, and the floor should be much higher.

It's way too much of a coincidence to believe that the one time we drafted the right 1st rounder he just happened to be traded to a team known for being good on the development side.

Also development very much includes time in the NHL.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Getting one late round pick that turns into a stud, and a few others who make the NHL but aren't anything special is in line with what expectations should be. Arguably we should have gotten a few more 4th liners but there shouldn't be an expectation that we get Gallagher level players from those types of picks. The same isn't true with 1st round picks, you have much better odds of getting a stud, and the floor should be much higher.

It's way too much of a coincidence to believe that the one time we drafted the right 1st rounder he just happened to be traded to a team known for being good on the development side.

Also development very much includes time in the NHL.
That's not the expectation for 12 years. Especially when the first round record is atrocious and every other teams studs is better than our stud with a late round pick. Ideally, we would have more than a forward with a career high 54 points to show for in 12 years.

And how about every other player we traded away/lost that became worse or didn't bite us in the ass? I'm talking about guys like Scherbak, Galchenyuk, McCarron, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Leblanc, DLR, Fucale...etc.

Cool, let's not pretend that every other team has perfect development, they are still getting way more out of their prospects.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I have always maintained that Bergevin has never really had a true plan about how to build this team. Every team during his tenure has been built all wrong.
For sure. Its the only consistent part of his tenure. Has applied no plan consistently since he got took over.

His takes the job of Chief Planner.........

and doesn't come up with one...............

for nine years and counting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad