Habs best and worst decision of the past decade

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
If MB cant trust his scouts, thats on him. This is the groups he’s assembled to do that job. He has the power to replace them.
Stop making up stories . There's no evidence he doesn't trust his scouts Bergeron has a boss . That's who has the final say in who gets hired or who gets fired who gets traded or doesn't that persons name is Geoff Molson.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I dont buy this revisionist bull****, like MB and company knew Rielly was going to be better but went with Galchenyuk anyway?
November 2014 ;

Montreal Canadiens general manager admitted today that he wanted to select Morgan Rielly in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, and not Alex Galchenyuk.
According to Sportsnet reporter Chris Johnston, Bergevin said he would have taken Rielly with the third overall pick, as a rookie GM, but listened to his veteran scouts and elected to take Galchenyuk with the pick.

Marc Bergevin Says He Wanted Morgan Rielly, Not Alex Galchenyuk at 2012 Draft

Note that at the time, the selection of Galchenyuk was considered as a very good one . It wasn't a hit on Timmins , but the opposite .

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Stop making up stories . There's no evidence he doesn't trust his scouts Bergeron has a boss . That's who has the final say in who gets hired or who gets fired who gets traded or doesn't that persons name is Geoff Molson.
but the fans are those who drink Molson beer so that he was able to buy the team :whatever:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
November 2014 ;

Montreal Canadiens general manager admitted today that he wanted to select Morgan Rielly in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, and not Alex Galchenyuk.
According to Sportsnet reporter Chris Johnston, Bergevin said he would have taken Rielly with the third overall pick, as a rookie GM, but listened to his veteran scouts and elected to take Galchenyuk with the pick.

Marc Bergevin Says He Wanted Morgan Rielly, Not Alex Galchenyuk at 2012 Draft

Note that at the time, the selection of Galchenyuk was considered as a very good one . It wasn't a hit on Timmins , but the opposite .
Chuck was the right pick. We just f***ed him up.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Wasn't it Bergevin that also coveted Milan Lucic and was rumored to have offered him more than the Oilers did but the gorilla said no?
Yzerman

Drouin over Jones
Koekkoek over Filip Forsberg
Connelly over Skinner

sometimes you just misevaluate

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yzerman

Drouin over Jones
Koekkoek over Filip Forsberg
Connelly over Skinner

sometimes you just misevaluate
It's tougher to evaluate an 18 year old player, Lucic was 27 years old and had already played 500 games in the league and was slowing down much like Alzner, it's not the same thing and both are examples of his misjudgment, things could be much worse for us right now.

Reactions: Streetsamurai

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Wasn't it Bergevin that also coveted Milan Lucic and was rumored to have offered him more than the Oilers did but the gorilla said no?
I never understood these. So if we are going to shit at him for something that didnt happen, should we also give him credit for things that didnt happen?

Jul 6, 2016
Worst decision: Hiring Bergevin

Even worse: not firing him two years ago.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
but the fans are those who drink Molson beer so that he was able to buy the team :whatever:
The Bell Center could sit empty the games would still be played and the players would still get paid . Fans and none fans will still buy and drink Molson beer.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I never understood these. So if we are going to **** at him for something that didnt happen, should we also give him credit for things that didnt happen?
It has nothing to do with the fact that it didn’t happen! Why do so many people here have such a hard time understanding a point? The very fact that Lucic was even a coveted free agent by our GM speaks volumes about his poor judgment of ufa’s.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Worst - Not firing Therrien (and Lefebvre) during the 2015-2016 season - or at worst - at the end of it.

This is by far the worst move in the past 20 years. This was coming off our best season in a while with Price talked of as the best in the NHL with his hart/lindsay/vezeina - and a fantastic start after 20 games where we then went from first to last place. I don't care if you "feel" it's the coaches fault or not - the team record is still his responsibility. Failure at such a level should have been addressed asap and he should have been fired. The habs have never recovered since then. They've had some "on again/off again" success in the season, but have never seemed dangerous since then. That's when the rot started.

Clearly - not firing Therrien is directly linked in my mind to PK Subban trade. If you fire Therrien, PK doesn't get traded. I like Weber fine - in fact i liked Weber at the time of trade more than most of you today who have come around to liking him. That's not the problem, never was. PK Subban was the heart and soul of the team, and also of the fanbase. When he left, it was a huge deflating effect on fan interest, and the team hasn't looked the same since.

Obviously I realize that in the 2019 season, Weber is playing great and PK is having a horrible year. It's easy to say in retrospect it was a "good trade". I still don't buy it, worst trade ever. I'd like to think that if PK had stayed here many other things would have turned out differently too - both from team success perspective and also on an individual level for Subban, maybe his play doesn't fall off as much (still expect him to bounce back fyi).

Best - Not sure, maybe i'm forgetting some - but i do like one that was mentioned on the first page. Keeping Price and trading Halak. Especially considering it happened right after the playoff run, it was super gutsy. But in the long run this was the clear right choice (not for Price - he'd probably be a multiple time cup winner on almost any other team by now) for the Habs.

There were some other moves I really liked this decade. I loved the Vanek trade (even though longterm, it didn't lead to much). I loved the Radulov signing. I love that we made an offer sheet this summer (even though I fully realize in the end it means nothing). The Pacioretty and even Galchenyuk trades have turned out pretty good too.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It has nothing to do with the fact that it didn’t happen! Why do so many people here have such a hard time understanding a point? The very fact that Lucic was even a coveted free agent by our GM speaks volumes about his poor judgment of ufa’s.
Bergevin pursued some good UFAs like Tavares and Duchene, and tried to sign Aho. His player judgment is fine. It's his follow-through that sucks.

As for Lucic, he was on multiple lists of interested GMs, as is every other UFA every single year. We don't have access to those lists, of course, so we don't know who was targeting who. Each year a bunch of GMs fail to sign a bunch of UFAs, and we know nothing about those failed attempts because those moves never happened. I don't see a point in isolating one move that never happened for Bergevin.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Bergevin pursued some good UFAs like Tavares and Duchene, and tried to sign Aho. His player judgment is fine. It's his follow-through that sucks.

As for Lucic, he was on multiple lists of interested GMs, as is every other UFA every single year. We don't have access to those lists, of course, so we don't know who was targeting who. Each year a bunch of GMs fail to sign a bunch of UFAs, and we know nothing about those failed attempts because those moves never happened. I don't see a point in isolating one move that never happened for Bergevin.
Bergevin also targeted Steve Ott, Andreas Martinsen and Dwight King as a means to help his team in the playoffs, his judgement has not been fine and let's not forget Lefebvre and Therrien. Thankfully Chiarelli won the Lucic sweepstakes.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Not having a hard time understanding at all, your argument is just flawed. What about all the great signings/moves he wanted to do but the player chose not to? Does it speak volume about him having good judgment? I also doubt we were the only other team interested in Lucic.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Bergevin also targeted Steve Ott, Andreas Martinsen and Dwight King as a means to help his team in the playoffs, his judgement has not been fine and let's not forget Lefebvre and Therrien. Thankfully Chiarelli won the Lucic sweepstakes.
Yeah, I agree those players were pretty useless signings. But should we balance those bad signings with good players Bergevin tried to sign over the years? Obviously not, because they never happened. That's where I place Lucic -- in the spirit world where the league's landfill of signings-that-never-happened exist. Results are all that matter.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah, I agree those players were pretty useless signings. But should we balance those bad signings with good players Bergevin tried to sign over the years? Obviously not, because they never happened. That's where I place Lucic -- in the spirit world where the league's landfill of signings-that-never-happened exist. Results are all that matter.
Alzner happened as well and what was it that Bergevin proclaimed about him, my memory is foggy, you might remember.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Not having a hard time understanding at all, your argument is just flawed. What about all the great signings/moves he wanted to do but the player chose not to? Does it speak volume about him having good judgment? I also doubt we were the only other team interested in Lucic.
No, it just speaks volumes about his lack of ability to build a team that would entice would be free agents to even consider Montreal as an option.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Price sucked in 2009-10 especially in the playoffs. Remember him firing a puck into the flyers goal celebration? He didn't have huge trade value at the time. We sold as high as high could be on halak

Had Price got traded to the Blues instead of Halak, it would’ve went down as one of the worst trades in franchise history. Thinking about a rising Price playing in the Hitchcock era of the Blues is a scary thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad