Habs best and worst decision of the past decade

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Wasn’t it Bergevin that wanted Reilly and posters ridiculed him for years because of this........:facepalm:
General Managers get the credit and blame for draft picks truth is its the scouts that know the players best or should and they are the ones who should be blamed .

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
What do you mean by paying off? We are talking about the team here not individuals. We were not a better team right after the trade, were not a better team right now and nothing suggests that we gonna be a better team in a couple of years. So did it paid off exactly? The team sucked and made no progress since that trade. Even if Weber is better this season.. his acquisition didn't make any difference, didn't make the team better, didn't make the team progress.
If you're judging individuals based on team results, Michel Therrien is a better coach than Claude Julien.

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Best:

loved the additions of domi, tatar, suzuki and danault.

Worst:

I hate the price contract although I've always felt he was overrated.

Still hate the Subban trade. I feel like the habs lost their swagger and havent been the same since.

Giving Weber the C over gallagher.

Reactions: jackeymoon

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Worst decision was hiring Bergevin.
I liked the hiring when it happened, I felt like Bergevin was a young GM who may have some fresh ideas. And while he didn’t look terrible at first his lack of direction, has handcuffed this team for 8 years. He’s made some nice trades, but after nearly a decade of drafting MB has failed to land an extra first rounder, has failed to move up a single spot in the first round, and at the other end of the spectrum has failed to move one of our coveted firsts for a roster player. So whats the plan here Bergy?

Best decision, I’d go with Petry, cant imagine the D without him, Domi is a close second but Petry cost significantly less. However you feel about Galchenyuk he was a 3rd overall pick.

Bring Bak Damphousse

May 27, 2002
Canada
Worst:

I hate the price contract although I've always felt he was overrated.

Still hate the Subban trade. I feel like the habs lost their swagger and havent been the same since.

Giving Weber the C over gallagher.

Agreed on Subban. I wasn’t necessarily against trading pk but I feel like we blew an opportunity to land that star center that we’ve been missing forever. Pk was arguably a top 5 dman at the time of the trade and while Weber looks better right now, the trade made no sense, at best it was a lateral move that saved us very little money, and shortened our competetive window. Had bergy gone all in , traded our first and some youngsters and gone for it than fine, but bergevins gonna bergevin.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Our team was better back then....Clod has been subject to alot of junk picked up Bergevin. Therrien inherited a better team and a #3 overall pick.
Well, sure. There's no comparison between a legit good coach like Julien and Therrien. Which underlines my point that it's unfair to attach team results to any individual, whether it's Therrien, Julien, Weber or Subban.

Reactions: BLONG7

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
General Managers get the credit and blame for draft picks truth is its the scouts that know the players best or should and they are the ones who should be blamed .

Scouts take direction from, and are accountable to, the GM.

A GM gets no absolution for poor drafting. They steer the ship.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Best drafting and extending Gallagher. The kid is all heart and doesn't take a game or shift off.
Worst, extending Bergevin when he obviously had no plan, was overwhelmed and under qualified for the position.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
Best: 1-Weber - Subban, 2-Pacioretty - Tatar, Suzuki and 2nd, 3-Domi-Galchenyuk, 4- Danault for Fleishman and Weise, 4-Drouin for Sergachev

Worst- No big UFAs

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Scouts take direction from, and are accountable to, the GM.

A GM gets no absolution for poor drafting. They steer the ship.
Scouts are to blame when missing on high pick . Montreal drafting Galchenyuk is all on the scouts .

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Clearly the worst decision. Why? Lets imagine, how much asset could the Habs have for Price? And what they had from Halak?

Yes, Price won Hart and Vezina. But he did "Jose Theodore". From that point he isnt the same Price, numbers are falling down. And his monster contract will hurt this organisation for some years.
Stanley Cup is still only a dream.
Price sucked in 2009-10 especially in the playoffs. Remember him firing a puck into the flyers goal celebration? He didn't have huge trade value at the time. We sold as high as high could be on halak

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Scouts are to blame when missing on high pick . Montreal drafting Galchenyuk is all on the scouts .

Nope. The GM signs off on it. I love how it’s “the scouts”, just spread the blame around to nameless people en masse.

Could you please detail how you arrived at this conclusion, and enlighten me specifically with what role each individual usual scout played in the decision. I’m curious as to how specifically you would apportion blame to each individual scout involved. Thanks, it’s obvious that in texting your conclusion you are privy to detailed information that I don’t have. Please share.

it’s amazing the lengths people will go to absolve the man in charge.

Who hires and fires scouts?

Who directs them?

Who has final say on the choices?

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Nope. The GM signs off on it. I love how it’s “the scouts”, just spread the blame around to nameless people en masse.

Could you please detail how you arrived at this conclusion, and enlighten me specifically with what role each individual usual scout played in the decision. I’m curious as to how specifically you would apportion blame to each individual scout involved. Thanks, it’s obvious that in texting your conclusion you are privy to detailed information that I don’t have. Please share.

it’s amazing the lengths people will go to absolve the man in charge.

Who hires and fires scouts?

Who directs them?

Who has final say on the choices?
NHL General Managers do not spent the majority of their time scouting minor league players its a myth they spend very little time actually . Scouting is the strength or weakness of every team along with developing the players after being drafted . Being drafted is the beginning of the race not the end or even the middle. There are 200 plus prospects drafted each year development is key to success.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
NHL General Managers do not spent the majority of their time scouting minor league players its a myth they spend very little time actually . Scouting is the strength or weakness of every team .

The GM is responsible for the scouts. He hires and selects whether or not to keep them.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
The GM is responsible for the scouts. He hires and selects whether or not to keep them.
No team continually fires its scouting staff it takes years to find out if players selected will become NHL talent . General Managers also have bosses and are not making decisions on their own.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
No team continually fires its scouting staff it takes years to find out if players selected will become NHL talent . General Managers also have bosses and are not making decisions on their own.

Yet it was the first thing Yzerman did when TB hired him.

Timmins also came in very soon after Savard, around a year and a half later. Its common for new GMs to revamp the scouting team.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Yet it was the first thing Yzerman did when TB hired him.

Timmins also came in very soon after Savard, around a year and a half later. Its common for new GMs to revamp the scouting team.
Its not common at all that a team fires its scouting staff . A scouting staff consists of Minor league scouts and then there are scouts that's only focus is at the Pro level . Its rare a team will revamp their scouting staff .

Last edited:

Bring Bak Damphousse

May 27, 2002
Canada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad