Habs best and worst decision of the past decade

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Had Price got traded to the Blues instead of Halak, it would’ve went down as one of the worst trades in franchise history. Thinking about a rising Price playing in the Hitchcock era of the Blues is a scary thought.
The trade worked out as well as it could have for us.

Just pointing out that price really didn't have a lot of value at the time either.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The trade worked out as well as it could have for us.

Just pointing out that price really didn't have a lot of value at the time either.

Goaltenders in general don’t hold tons of value trade wise historically. We traded Halak on a high but didn’t get a lot back. Decent return tho. I disagree Price had poor trade value. His name was still big despite his struggles young. I would say that trade was one of the biggest blessings in disguise had we accomplished anything while he was peaking. Instead, a dumb GM gave him an over the top contract that makes zero sense with where the team is going while he declines. The real tragedy is how bad Bergevin buried this team in 2017. Had the club been exposed as terrible before, he likely would’ve been moved for a nice return to help turn this franchise around.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Alzner happened as well and what was it that Bergevin proclaimed about him, my memory is foggy, you might remember.
Alzner is on the "Actually happened" list. Unfortunately.

Lucic is on the "Never happened" list, along with a bunch of great, good and bad players who could've/might've/should've/almost, but ultimately never played for the Habs. We don't even know how many players Bergevin pursued and never got, so I don't see the value of holding up one of them -- Lucic -- as an example of anything.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
Not signing Markov who could've actually helped us (our PP was dead last) when we gave contracts to a bunch of washed up players in the past (Gonchar, Kaberle, Brière, Streit, Hemsky ...)

And of course, building the team around Carey Price.

Montrealcowboys

Jan 7, 2020
Even if Weber clearly outplays Subban but I don't see how that trade is the best decision the team has done in the past decade. The team made the playoffs once and won two playoffs games since that trade. In term of team success, that trade made no difference. Actually made the team worse IMO.

Absolutely the truth. Nashville at least got to a cup finals. Oh and how is Nashville doing this year without the player?

Montrealcowboys

Jan 7, 2020
Agreed on Subban. I wasn’t necessarily against trading pk but I feel like we blew an opportunity to land that star center that we’ve been missing forever. Pk was arguably a top 5 dman at the time of the trade and while Weber looks better right now, the trade made no sense, at best it was a lateral move that saved us very little money, and shortened our competetive window. Had bergy gone all in , traded our first and some youngsters and gone for it than fine, but bergevins gonna bergevin.

Seeing Edmonton gave Hall away for Adam Larssen, they should have gotten Taylor for Subban.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Worst
- Therrien.
- DD playing #1 C minutes
- Trading Cammy mid-game for Bourque in what appeared to be a snap judgment move. Could have waited and weighed the market.
- The entire summer of 2017 including Alzner.
- King, Ott, Martenson for that playoff run.
- Too many terrible drafts to count
- Failed reclamation projects (Streit, Hemsky, Semin)

Best
- Swindling Vanek at the deadline
- Weise and Fleischmann trade
- Pacioretty trade
- Petry + Radulov signings
- Budaj as a back up.

Durvann

Feb 6, 2013
Not signing Markov who could've actually helped us (our PP was dead last) when we gave contracts to a bunch of washed up players in the past (Gonchar, Kaberle, Brière, Streit, Hemsky ...)

And of course, building the team around Carey Price.
Thankfully it allowed us to tank and get KK.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Lots of playoff success with the addition of Weber right?
Exactly the same success we've had with the addition of Claude Julien. No one will seriously make the argument that Therrien is a better coach than Julien; it just so happened that Therrien had the benefit of a better roster. Just like Subban. You can't judge an individual by his team's record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad