Post-Game Talk: Habs beat the Flames in a shootout! Slaf BEASTIN'

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Just to be clear, i am simply saying that Wideman and Matheson cannot be compared as one and the same due to the fact that they are used differently. My point was that if Matheson was used as #6 (like Wideman) he'd probably make a much better impression than when he is miscast as top pairing dman.
Oh yeah agreed 100%

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The game was a "Calgary broadcast", not a "national" one. Play by play was done by Rick Ball, Calgary's regular PBP announcer on SN broadcasts. Hrudey is the colour man on Calgary broadcasts. I don't know who the host was, but I'm guessing it too was the normal host on Calgary broadcasts.

If you're going to say this about Hrudey, then you should make a similar comment about the TSN broadcast crew for Habs games: Byran Mudryk (MAJOR Habs homer), Mike Johnson and Dave Poulin (BOTH will lean towards the Habs when they do Habs games. If they do other teams' games, they'll lean in THAT direction. It's their job). Same applies to Sergio Momesso the few times he has done colour. The PBP announcer - for Habs games - I find most objective and enjoyable is John Bartlett

Hrudey has been around awhile. It isn't just last night's broadcast. He was like this on CBC too, exceptions are our goalies. Price he was always complimentary about. Ditto Allen.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Goalies are overrated. Wideman can play goalie.
Yes they are. I watched years of draft and I saw many good goalies between round 2 to 5 who are starters in the league. Just for example the best draft choice of 2010 was Vassiliev who was picked 19th OA. Jonathan Quick was picked on 3rd round, etc.

But the Wideman example is a bit extreme, lol.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Hrudey has been around awhile. It isn't just last night's broadcast. He was like this on CBC too, exceptions are our goalies. Price he was always complimentary about. Ditto Allen.
Important hockey analists in the french medias are ex-goalies and they tend to give too much importance to goalies. Dany Dubé, Patrick Lalime, Marc Denis, Theodore and Fiset. How many first line centers french medias have? One. Damphousse. Carbonneau was a defensive center.

If after this being said we are amazed goalies takes a large part in the hockey analists, just check witch position they played. And other than Damphousse the forwards were grinders.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
PP went to shit without Moneyhands, we're on a 0 goals in our last 17 attempts streak.

Hopefully CC is not out for long and it was only precautionary.

and it seems Armia and Evans will never score again
PP was crap without Caufield, Dach isn't hungry enough.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Maybe its just me, but I’ll take Matheson over Wideman everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
C’mon, that’s a no brainer.

Some good points..............I would take him off the PK, and use him on the PP..............that's just my take.
Guhle should definitely see some PP time, even if it’s only on the 2nd wave for now. Too many weak options not to give him PP time.

• Haha
Reactions: BLONG7 and jaffy27

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Would the coaching staff ever sit back and think.. 'when we give the kid more responsibility he seems to perform.. almost like he did in the Olympics... this is interesting..' Then they proceed to limit his exposure the next 5 games after he has a great outing? Is it a serious conversation when Marty and Burrows pencil in Armia/Dadanov on special teams instead of Slav? 6'3 240lb kid that oozes offense and vision , or two useless turds that can't hit the net or make a pass? Tough call

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Would the coaching staff ever sit back and think.. 'when we give the kid more responsibility he seems to perform.. almost like he did in the Olympics... this is interesting..' Then they proceed to limit his exposure the next 5 games after he has a great outing? Is it a serious conversation when Marty and Burrows pencil in Armia/Dadanov on special teams instead of Slav? 6'3 240lb kid that oozes offense and vision , or two useless turds that can't hit the net or make a pass? Tough call
My theories so far are that

1- forced to showcase the vets though they barely have a pulse at this point
2- Is taking the sloooooooow route and probably made it a point before the season started.

I’m the fool tuning in and paying his subscription to watch Dadonov turn over the puck 50 times a game, that one I have no theory for

(edit - how the 1st unit in OT could possibly think staying on the ice for almost 4 of them is cool I have no theory for either - looking at you there Captain - Slaf needed to be there)

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91 and Habs

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Yes they are. I watched years of draft and I saw many good goalies between round 2 to 5 who are starters in the league. Just for example the best draft choice of 2010 was Vassiliev who was picked 19th OA. Jonathan Quick was picked on 3rd round, etc.

But the Wideman example is a bit extreme, lol.
Did you see a save he made the other night? He is a natural.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The game was a "Calgary broadcast", not a "national" one. Play by play was done by Rick Ball, Calgary's regular PBP announcer on SN broadcasts. Hrudey is the colour man on Calgary broadcasts. I don't know who the host was, but I'm guessing it too was the normal host on Calgary broadcasts.

If you're going to say this about Hrudey, then you should make a similar comment about the TSN broadcast crew for Habs games: Byran Mudryk (MAJOR Habs homer), Mike Johnson and Dave Poulin (BOTH will lean towards the Habs when they do Habs games. If they do other teams' games, they'll lean in THAT direction. It's their job). Same applies to Sergio Momesso the few times he has done colour. The PBP announcer - for Habs games - I find most objective and enjoyable is John Bartlett
No, it was a national broadcast using Calgary's regional PBP team.

The studio panel was the regular weeknight crew for SN national telecasts.

I don't think hrudey is that bad. You expect some bias with him but if you really want to see someone who gets worked up about the Habs, it's John Garrett. He just can't help himself.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
My theories so far are that

1- forced to showcase the vets though they barely have a pulse at this point
2- Is taking the sloooooooow route and probably made it a point before the season started.

I’m the fool tuning in and paying his subscription to watch Dadonov turn over the puck 50 times a game, that one I have no theory for

(edit - how the 1st unit in OT could possibly think staying on the ice for almost 4 of them is cool I have no theory for either - looking at you there Captain - Slaf needed to be there)
The "forced showcase" is the only possible reason my brain can come up with everytime I try to contemplate why we see the decisions we keep seeing.
And as much flak as Marty is getting
It makes more and more sense that the management and coaching staff are in agreement to play the people they would like to get rid of as much as possible
OTHERWISE we could be in serious trouble coaching wise lol

But honestly, there's a GREAT chance it's showcasing lol
So I've been nice with Marty, for now

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
No, it was a national broadcast using Calgary's regional PBP team.

The studio panel was the regular weeknight crew for SN national telecasts.

I don't think hrudey is that bad. You expect some bias with him but if you really want to see someone who gets worked up about the Habs, it's John Garrett. He just can't help himself.

So true, Garrett's anti Hab bias is blatant and is gross to watch/listen to.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The "forced showcase" is the only possible reason my brain can come up with everytime I try to contemplate why we see the decisions we keep seeing.
It makes more and more sense that the management and coaching staff are in agreement to play the people they would like to get rid of as much as possible

There's some showcasing here, 100% for sure.
MSL did it last year and have to do it this year too.....these players in the way of Slafkovski will still be there next year and in some case even 2 years from now, they won't magically disappear.

We're in the process of building a new team....but we still need to get rid of part of the old one!

Reactions: Redux91 and cphabs

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018

I think that's definitely it. When reporters asked Marty last night why Armia was on the powerplay his answer was so cagey, "he has qualities that make him good for the powerplay" Really? Like what? Then he says he has him on the penalty kill too because his skillset allows him to make key contributions to the team. He's BS'ing so there's clearly another agenda.

Reactions: Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad