Post-Game Talk: Habs beat the BJs and their cannon in Columbus

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
I just think he continues to get better and we may regret trading a really good goalie down the road.
its possible some goalies peak later could be the case with Monty thats why i said it depends on the return

If Oilers offer that 1st round pick then you take it and run but those chances are pretty slim

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
its possible some goalies peak later could be the case with Monty thats why i said it depends on the return

If Oilers offer that 1st round pick then you take it and run but those chances are pretty slim
A first round pick guarantees nothing. If the Oilers make the playoffs and go on a run you are looking at a pick around 25th or so.
You willing to trade an up and coming NHL goalie hitting his prime for a late 1st round pick?

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
A first round pick guarantees nothing. If the Oilers make the playoffs and go on a run you are looking at a pick around 25th or so.
You willing to trade an up and coming NHL goalie hitting his prime for a late 1st round pick?
EDM are currently sitting at 28 theres more chances that pick ends up a lottery pick then a late one but even for a late pick i easily trade it for Monteambeault hes had some nice games but hes 26 and has yet to prove he could be a #1 for a full season

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
EDM are currently sitting at 28 theres more chances that pick ends up a lottery pick then a late one but even for a late pick i easily trade it for Monteambeault hes had some nice games but hes 26 and has yet to prove he could be a #1 for a full season

Edmonton's first would be lottery protected.

But maybe you think a deferal to 2025 could lead to another lottery pick.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Woof! that was an unimpressive win, Monty was but that's pretty much it. Guess it's a win in some sense as Columbus only managed to shoot of that cannon twice in 60 minutes,wish I was able to say that but sadly no.lol
And up next are a bunch of pissed off cats,not gonna be pretty.lol

Went down like @OldCraig71 and woke up to this what happened

View attachment 775442
That's how you want your team to play defense,foolproof!lol.

• Haha
Reactions: FloJack

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

If McDavid stays healthy, that first rounder is probably going to be in the 20s range when all is said and done.

The big problem with the 3 goalie system is that you can't see how a goalie will react when they are asked to run with the ball, and that is an important part of the evaluation process imo.

All we know is at this point is that Monty is a decent NHL option, but is he a #1, #1a, #1b, or #2? I don't think we can tell yeta with a strong degree of confidence. My best guess at this point is that he's at least a 1b.

I remember Monty had a big run of games in his first season here, and it was a disaster for a while but I think he was carrying an injury too and trying to play through it.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Johnny Hockey
9.75 million cap hit for 6 more years has 3G 8A in 24 games. Ouch

Feel bad for Pascal Vincent

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
AC new guard, seeing the big picture.

Denis Gauthier saying that the Habs need to accumulate draft picks — there are still no elite-level players on the roster.

There's 3 common ways to get elite players:

1. Finish at the bottom of the league and draft them.
2. Trade futures for elite players that want out of their current team or are pending UFA's that won't want to re-sign with their current team, and then re-sign them to your team. (Example: Mark Stone, Jack Eichel).
3. Build a good team, create cap space, and attract UFA's (Example: Pietrangelo, Chara, Hossa)

I think we'll have the assets to get an Eichel or Stone. We'll see if one becomes available and HuGo pull the trigger. But note, we aren't getting those players with the Anderson + Dvo + harris type of proposals people wanted to land Dubois with. We're going to have to give up good young pieces.

Lindstrom is more decent than I had anticipated

He might get a good look in the top 4, because Kovacivic has been making so many mistakes that he should be back on the bottom pair if he can't cut down on them.

Reactions: Tyson and rik schau

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi

2. Trade futures for elite players that want out of their current team or are pending UFA's that won't want to re-sign with their current team, and then re-sign them to your team. (Example: Mark Stone, Jack Eichel).
3. Build a good team, create cap space, and attract UFA's (Example: Pietrangelo, Chara, Hossa)

I think we'll have the assets to get an Eichel or Stone. We'll see if one becomes available and HuGo pull the trigger. But note, we aren't getting those players with the Anderson + Dvo + harris type of proposals people wanted to land Dubois with. We're going to have to give up good young pieces.
I hope you're right about making moves as it's all been passive to date.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I hope you're right about making moves as it's all been passive to date.
I think we'll have to wait 2 or 3 years to trade for a 28/29 year old star player.

I would have liked Debrincat this summer at the price he went for - plus it was a package also for Patrick Kane for free in the end.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Senators acquired Erik Brannstrom, Oscar Lindberg and 2 round pick (Sokolov) for Stone - Sokolov is in year 3 w AHL affiliate Belleville

VGK really gave up squat, because they knew Sens hands were tied - Stone would only sign extension w VGK because of locale + GM (who was Stones junior coach / GM)

Eichel limited his destinations as well, but Buf did well holding out for Tuch

Reactions: Fuonki

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I think we'll have to wait 2 or 3 years to trade for a 28/29 year old star player.

I would have liked Debrincat this summer at the price he went for - plus it was a package also for Patrick Kane for free in the end.
That's a lot more years of futility. Who will be the GM then? Hughes contract is 5 season is it not.
I like Debrincat also but how many tiny players can you have.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Debrincat wanted to be traded closer to home
- a US Midwest team

That’s the issue talented players don’t ask to be traded to Cdn markets

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Debrincat wanted to be traded closer to home
- a US Midwest team

That’s the issue talented players don’t ask to be traded to Cdn markets
I still think Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal won't have problems getting enough stars. I suspect the problem with Ottawa was more the small market. Ottawa is not for everyone.

Senators acquired Erik Brannstrom, Oscar Lindberg and 2 round pick (Sokolov) for Stone - Sokolov is in year 3 w AHL affiliate Belleville

VGK really gave up squat, because they knew Sens hands were tied - Stone would only sign extension w VGK because of locale + GM (who was Stones junior coach / GM)

Eichel limited his destinations as well, but Buf did well holding out for Tuch

But Vegas also traded Suzuki, Tatar and a 2nd for Pacioretty. So overall they gave up a lot of futures to try to build a winner with prime stars, and they succeeded. Without trading for vets, they don't win the cup.

Plus they did really well in the UFA market. First attracting a big fish like Pietrangelo, then the Chandler Stephenson was just a really smart signing.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I still think Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal won't have problems getting enough stars. I suspect the problem with Ottawa was more the small market. Ottawa is not for everyone.

But Vegas also traded Suzuki, Tatar and a 2nd for Pacioretty. So overall they gave up a lot of futures to try to build a winner with prime stars, and they succeeded. Without trading for vets, they don't win the cup.
Except for Tavares, I can't think of one single elite ufa in his prime ala Pietrangelo or Panarin that signed in Canada in the last 30 years. You might be able to sign solid players to fill out your lineup, but stars are out of the question.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Except for Tavares, I can't think of one single elite ufa in his prime ala Pietrangelo or Panarin that signed in Canada in the last 30 years. You might be able to sign solid players to fill out your lineup, but stars are out of the question.
there just haven't been that many stars in the mold of Tavares, Pietrangelo, and Panarin that actually hit the market.

If Vancouver and Montreal become cup contenders, they can land a big fish.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
JT Miller signed an extension as did Huberdeau, Schiefele, Hellebucyk, Kadri.
I think living in Canada these days is much more appealing to hockey players these days then living in some of these crime riddled US cities.

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
JT Miller signed an extension as did Huberdeau, Schiefele, Hellebucyk, Kadri.
I think living in Canada these days is much more appealing to hockey players these days then living in some of these crime riddled US cities.
Which US hockey based cities aren't crime riddled?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad