Post-Game Talk: Habs beat the BJs and their cannon in Columbus

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
There's 3 common ways to get elite players:

1. Finish at the bottom of the league and draft them.
2. Trade futures for elite players that want out of their current team or are pending UFA's that won't want to re-sign with their current team, and then re-sign them to your team. (Example: Mark Stone, Jack Eichel).
3. Build a good team, create cap space, and attract UFA's (Example: Pietrangelo, Chara, Hossa)

I think we'll have the assets to get an Eichel or Stone. We'll see if one becomes available and HuGo pull the trigger. But note, we aren't getting those players with the Anderson + Dvo + harris type of proposals people wanted to land Dubois with. We're going to have to give up good young pieces.

He might get a good look in the top 4, because Kovacivic has been making so many mistakes that he should be back on the bottom pair if he can't cut down on them.
I dont know if its possible but i wish the habs were so good that they could win a cup and still not have an offensive star player. i think It would be nice and we could keep the team together longer.

When i watch the leafs in the playoffs i dont want a habs player making 20% of the cap and being useless.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
JT Miller signed an extension as did Huberdeau, Schiefele, Hellebucyk, Kadri.
I think living in Canada these days is much more appealing to hockey players these days then living in some of these crime riddled US cities.
Bold are all permanent US residents eligible for heavy bonus structured contracts minimizing IRS tax payments - all their present contracts are heavy bonus structured

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I dont know if its possible but i wish the habs were so good that they could win a cup and still not have an offensive star player. i think It would be nice and we could keep the team together longer.

When i watch the leafs in the playoffs i dont want a habs player making 20% of the cap and being useless.

For sure it will be interesting to see if the Oilers or Leafs ever win a cup with their salary structures devoting so much cap space to a few players.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
And I’m pretty sure they had a point together tonight.
Nope it was Guhle and Suzuki.

Lindstrom is more decent than I had anticipated
Yup I said that a few games ago. He is nowhere near as flawed as some would have us believe.
If he can keep Matheson focused on the D side it will help tremendously seeing Mike doesn't always pick his spots correctly.

Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Johnny Hockey
9.75 million cap hit for 6 more years has 3G 8A in 24 games. Ouch

Feel bad for Pascal Vincent
You have to wonder why he signed there?
He could have signed in a number of better situations or relativelyy similar cash.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
If McDavid stays healthy, that first rounder is probably going to be in the 20s range when all is said and done.

The big problem with the 3 goalie system is that you can't see how a goalie will react when they are asked to run with the ball, and that is an important part of the evaluation process imo.

All we know is at this point is that Monty is a decent NHL option, but is he a #1, #1a, #1b, or #2? I don't think we can tell yeta with a strong degree of confidence. My best guess at this point is that he's at least a 1b.

I remember Monty had a big run of games in his first season here, and it was a disaster for a while but I think he was carrying an injury too and trying to play through it.
I really hope they leave Monty alone, he looks big and quick, slowly becoming a true stud! I really think the Oilers will be back in the chase soon. I hope they settle on Reimer!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Nope it was Guhle and Suzuki.
Okay. As I said though, he was the catalyst on the play. Not getting a point doesn’t mean he didn’t creat the chance. And again, it’s another example of Suzuki’s numbers improving while with Gallagher.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I really hope they leave Monty alone, he looks big and quick, slowly becoming a true stud! I really think the Oilers will be back in the chase soon. I hope they settle on Reimer!
I really like Monty. All depends on what’s offered. End of the day, we’re not in win it now and we’re wasting his talents while we rebuild.

And as an added benefit, trading him would likely mean a fall in the standings and a higher pick.

JT3

May 27, 2013
Okay. As I said though, he was the catalyst on the play. Not getting a point doesn’t mean he didn’t creat the chance. And again, it’s another example of Suzuki’s numbers improving while with Gallagher.
Arpon Basu did a deep dive on Gallagher on Tuesday and pretty much every single players numbers improve when paired with Gallagher.

Screenshot 2023-11-30 150824.png

The numbers don't lie. He's playing good hockey this season. No he's not worth 6.5m and likely never will be, but he's driving play right now.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Arpon Basu did a deep dive on Gallagher on Tuesday and pretty much every single players numbers improve when paired with Gallagher.

View attachment 775646

The numbers don't lie. He's playing good hockey this season. No he's not worth 6.5m and likely never will be, but he's driving play right now.
Thank you. I saw this on Matural Stat Trick but didn’t bother copying as it’s just one poster who’s weighing in here.

But you’re right, he goes to the dirty areas and causes havoc. His benefit goes well beyond the points he scores. He’s the only real portion we have for that line right now unless MAl wants to bring back the Nick/CC combo.

Reactions: JT3

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

View attachment 775646

That is so Awesome. Thank You Arpon. Now explain to me where all the production is with that amazing XGF%? :dunno:
With 9 points what exactly is Gallagher driving?

• Haha

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That is so Awesome. Thank You Arpon. Now explain to me where all the production is with that amazing XGF%? :dunno:
With 9 points what exactly is Gallagher driving?
The production died on the stick of Tanner Pearson.

That’s why they moved Gallagher up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad