Habs beat Sabres 3-2

PricePkPatch*

I hate the Bruins , but being glad that another person is injured is not cool.

I am not happy.

I'm just not sad at all. Especially with the freak show we've experienced from that team when it comes to violence.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Eriksson is a good guy. Orpik has always been a dirty player and I hate the Bruins.

Me too, also not a fan of Marchand but the neel hit was dirty as they come, even more so because he said if it happened it was on accident.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
What a difference a solid 4th-line makes! Prust, White and Moen were our best line overall.

Eller didn't play badly at all. No mistakes, no great plays either, but he didn't get enough ice time to do much.

We're winning because of our forward depth. One line gets cold, another steps up and starts scoring.

The Girgenson goal was pretty sick. The kid is good.

Quite a few Sabres fans at the Bell Centre. Nice guys, mostly embracing the failed season and laughing it off. They deserve better and will get it in a few years.

dreamingofdrouin*

off topic but does anyone know where i can watch season 2 episodes of 24 ch in english online? figured i'd get an answer quicker here than the 24 ch thread.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I guess we could only look at points without context and think that Desharnais is actually a great player. Yet playing the most sheltered role on the team, having our two best wingers and Maxpac generating puck possession and carrying pretty much all the offense on his line. Of course it's easy to look at the points and forget that Eller is used in a much more defensive situation with a much higher % of defensive zone faceoffs, playing against superior competition. But I guess none of those things factor in a player's production huh?

David Desharnais plays for the Habs. So does Eller.

They are not competing on the ice against each other. :laugh::laugh:

Carry on though......

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Another win, we'll take it. LA's going to be a tough test but at least they have a couple of days to rest and prepare.

I wouldn't look into Eller's icetime too much; they were simply the least effective line out of the 4 going tonight. Patches line didn't do anything but they've been our best of late. Plek's line with Chucky on it was buzzing and had their moments, and the 4th line played probably their best game of the season. We're winning here, let's not make this into anything. Yes, in a perfect world you'd want every player playing a decent amount of ice time and contributing but that rarely ever happens. The coach was playing the lines that he felt were going tonight to get the win, and he did. Nothing more, nothing less.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
If you haven't been paying attention, DD has 9 points in 9 games before this one and happens to play on a line with our hottest scorer. Meanwhile Eller has been mediocre at best and turning over the puck far too often. That TOI seems about right given how both players have been playing. Especially tonight given how well our 4th line played.

One wonders where this fair assignment of ice time was when Desharnais was sitting at 1 point in 10 games. Or at 1 point in 11 games. Or at 1 point in 12 games. Or at 1 point in 13 games. Or at 1 point in 14 games. Or at 1 point in 15 games. Or at 1 point in 16 games. Or at 1 point in 17 games. Or at 1 point in 18 games.

Funny how Eller (who was part of the only line that kept us in a ton of early season games), Galchenyuk (our ostensible #1 Center of the future), Briere (our "big" off-season signing), and Subban (our Norris trophy winner) are all required to earn playing time within 7 minutes of ice-time or they're benched / publically called out, while 1 player is given a free pass.

It's also curious that the first page of this thread is filled with posts about how we barely won this game (against the worst team in the League, mind you), and yet the prevailing sentiment, paradoxically, is that any critique of the team is unwarranted, simply by virtue of us winning. Maybe some people would like to make the argument that, had we managed our assets a bit better, we wouldn't have had to squeak out a win against a team with 6 wins in 30 games?

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
One wonders where this fair assignment of ice time was when Desharnais was sitting at 1 point in 10 games. Or at 1 point in 11 games. Or at 1 point in 12 games. Or at 1 point in 13 games. Or at 1 point in 14 games. Or at 1 point in 15 games. Or at 1 point in 16 games. Or at 1 point in 17 games. Or at 1 point in 18 games.

Funny how Eller (who was part of the only line that kept us in a ton of early season games), Galchenyuk (our ostensible #1 Center of the future), Briere (our "big" off-season signing), and Subban (our Norris trophy winner) are all required to earn playing time within 7 minutes of ice-time or they're benched / publically called out, while 1 player is given a free pass.

It's also curious that the first page of this thread is filled with posts about how we barely won this game (against the worst team in the League, mind you), and yet the prevailing sentiment, paradoxically, is that any critique of the team is unwarranted, simply by virtue of us winning. Maybe some people would like to make the argument that, had we managed our assets a bit better, we wouldn't have had to squeak out a win against a team with 6 wins in 30 games?
Okay, for argument's sake then, which line would you have played Briere-Eller-Bournival over tonight, given how everybody played?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Something is certainly wrong between Therrien and Brière. It is obvious he's on the outside looking in.

Briere's last 5 games..

Vs BUF - 11 shifts - 6:29 TOI
Vs BOS - 14 shifts - 9:33 TOI
Vs NJD - 19 shifts - 16:12 TOI
Vs NJD - 09 shifts - 7:45 TOI
Vs TOR - 18 shifts - 12:24 TOI

Last edited:

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
If you're going to go there, then why did DD get tons of ice time during his massive slump? There is probably no consistent method to Therrien's madness, but hey, who cares about DD and Eller right now, it's going to be swept under a rug, the team is winning.

Yep, it's all a big conspiracy - you've figured it out.

FYI, Eller on the season is averaging about 2 minutes more TOI per game than Desharnais. But don't let that blind you. The most recent game is what we should refer to to base all our criticisms. :sarcasm:

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Sigh...If you'd been following the team, you'd know DD's ice-time has progressively dwindled due to his lack of production and also Pacioretty's injury. Since the two have been healthy and re-united, they have been great, and certainly worthy of the ~16 minutes they received tonight.

As I have mentioned, Eller has on average ~2 minutes more TOI per game this season than DD. Subban is second on the team to Markov. Galchenyuk is our 3rd leading scorer. NONE of these players seem to be disadvantaged based on the ice time they have been given by the coaching staff.

PricePkPatch*

Therrien holds them to higher standards, and thus holds them accountable to these expectations?

but what do I know..

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yep, it's all a big conspiracy - you've figured it out.

FYI, Eller on the season is averaging about 2 minutes more TOI per game than Desharnais. But don't let that blind you. The most recent game is what we should refer to to base all our criticisms. :sarcasm:

Yeah, there's a massive conspiracy -- the Habs know nothing about it. Only relevant on HF. :sarcasm:

Ice time arguments are far more compelling when the team is on a losing skid. Right now, who cares.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Briere with 6:29 TOI.. I wonder how MB feels about his key 4 million dollar summer acquisition barely playing?

On AC, they were alluding to a rift between Therrien and Brière.

According to Michel Bergeron, a master of non-verbal communication :sarcasm:, you can tell how well players are getting along with their coach by observing where they choose to stand on the ice during tv time-outs.

As per the Theory Of Bergesign Language (TM), players like Brière, who place themselves far away from their coach, are exhibiting their disapproval of him. Bergeron claims that he's noticed this kind of behavior repeatedly during tv time-outs, when he was coaching. :sarcasm:

I doubt Brière is going to get much sympathy with his alleged plight at this time, but I'm sure he'll become much more relevant as soon as someone starts slipping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad