Post-Game Talk: Habs beat NY Islanders 3-1 | Lars Eller making a very late push for the Art Ross

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Agree 100%. I don't the mind "Da system" so much since the players seem to be buying in and results are there. But the PP... something has to change.

Same opinion.

PP was one of habs strengh 15 month a good and 5 vs 5 was more then bad. At less now we are good at 5 vs 5 and PK.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Better game last night. It's important for this team to find its groove before the playoffs. We all know what happened when the 2012-2013 Habs finished the season awfully and got destroyed in the first period by the lowly Senators.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What league are you watching?

Crawford, Rinne, Dubnyk and a ton of other goalies have been playing out of their minds to win games.
All of those teams are playing better hockey than we are and not all of those teams have a better roster than we do.
we get your point lg....unfortunately for you, price is part of our roster....we are playing to our strengths....we play in the best league in the world...you cannot say that simply having a unreal goalie makes us a top team...
I don't see how sitting back and letting the goalie win games is playing to any kind of strength. Moreover, I don't see how I've said that having an unreal goalie alone makes us a top team.

I think we've got a good roster that isn't playing well but is being carried by its goalie to a ridiculous extent.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
But It was a joke! aARrrr... nobody understands me.

Seriously, if they managed to fix the PP before the playoffs, the Firetherrien church/bandwagon will be close to empty in no time.

Sorry!

You picked an apt word there. Church. And no it won't close. Try explaining God did not create man on the 6th day to fundamentally religious people. Well, you'll find that will be easier than trying to explain to the bashers of the current management no we got a good thing here why do you want to blow it up?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
And if they don't, the MT Idolatry Express will find a new, fabricated narrative to push, I'm sure.

There is no MT idolatry except in your obstinate mind.

I have things I don't like about Therrien. Things I would like to discuss - DISCUSS NOT OBSESS ABOUT - but I can't because this forum has become one big cluster fuk obsession about Therrien, Bergevin, DD and the real idol, Carey Price.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sorry!

You picked an apt word there. Church. And no it won't close. Try explaining God did not create man on the 6th day to fundamentally religious people. Well, you'll find that will be easier than trying to explain to the bashers of the current management no we got a good thing here why do you want to blow it up?
You have things backwards here.

There have been a lot of very good posts that people have put up over the past two seasons explaining why this club isn't playing well. We've seen all kinds of stats, analysis, third party articles and posts on the subject. There's all kinds of supporting evidence to support the theory that this coach is hurting the team.

On the flipside, I haven't seen much to support Therrien that goes beyond "look at the record" type reasoning. The data doesn't support him. The eye test doesn't support him. TV analysts, reporters and bloggers are all openly questioning how this team has done as well as it has. I have seen arguments for him that get rebutted and then the argument shift to something else. It goes from "we're playing well" to "well, we're not playing well but we're rebuilding..."

Forget about the posters and focus on the arguments at hand. WHY is this guy a good coach in your view? What specifically has he done to warrant being given credit for our record? Why should we credit him when the numbers point to our team being at best a playoff bubble team with average goaltending?

I have things I don't like about Therrien. Things I would like to discuss - DISCUSS NOT OBSESS ABOUT - but I can't because this forum has become one big cluster fuk obsession about Therrien, Bergevin, DD and the real idol, Carey Price.
By all means discuss it. Leave the personal stuff out. And if this is too much for you to handle without being upset over, leave the thread and avoid conversations on Therrien altogether.

Last edited:

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
CAKQxKXUIAA6Cnz.jpg

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY

Nonsense. LG already pointed out, but to hammer the point home, let me point out that one side of this debate has an argument grounded on a vast array of quantifiable metrics, the very same side you then compare to a religion / faith. Please explain to me how arguments based on measurable data like SF/SA, GF, GA, sv%, Corsi, Fenwick, and a host of others is akin to a faith?

After that, you can explain how the opposing side, largely based on such impartial scientific observations as "Math is for Excel spreadsheet nerds" and "You've never played the game if you disagree with me" is a more fact-based / scientifically rigorous methodology. I'm debating even mentioning the fact that one of the pro-Therrien schools' most vocal proponents literally used a made up a narrative ("we take a tone of penalties and score a lot of shorties and play a rough-in-your-face style") as the cornerstone of his position...

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Nonsense. LG already pointed out, but to hammer the point home, let me point out that one side of this debate has an argument grounded on a vast array of quantifiable metrics, the very same side you then compare to a religion / faith. Please explain to me how arguments based on measurable data like SF/SA, GF, GA, sv%, Corsi, Fenwick, and a host of others is akin to a faith?

Correct me if I'm wrong but last time I looked they awarded the Stanley Cup on games won - best of seven. Did they change the rules since last night? Are they really awarding the cup on Corsis Fenwicks and thingamagigs.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Correct me if I'm wrong but last time I looked they awarded the Stanley Cup on games won - best of seven. Did they change the rules since last night? Are they really awarding the cup on Corsis Fenwicks and thingamagigs.

Well no one has ever said that they award cups based on Fenwick and Corsi. However, teams with high Fenwick and Corsi have a greater chance of winning the cup than teams that don't. The correlation between both has been fairly strong.

ourobouros

Sep 29, 2009
Well no one has ever said that they award cups based on Fenwick and Corsi. However, teams with high Fenwick and Corsi have a greater chance of winning the cup than teams that don't. The correlation between both has been fairly strong.

Correlation between winning 4 games in the Stanley cup final and winning the cup is stronger.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY

The Habs have won the Cup this season, have they?

I'm also unclear on how "Best of Seven is how you win the Cup" means that statistics are irrelevant...care to elaborate?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The Habs have won the Cup this season, have they?

I'm also unclear on how "Best of Seven is how you win the Cup" means that statistics are irrelevant...care to elaborate?

Never said stats are irrelevant. I maintain stats don't tell the whole story and sometimes they don't even tell the right story. Case in point: Habs tied for first in the league with 14 games remaining.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Do you know what the odds are of winning the lottery?

And yet, here we are, with literally tons of people who do just that!

Ergo, anyone who doesn't plan their financial future based on winning the lottery has egg all over their face.

Is that a joke? Okay, Therrien won the hockey lottery. He has a horse shoe up his yin yang.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad