Post-Game Talk: Habs beat Laffs 2-1 - Darkest day in Weakileaks, CBC history

Status
Not open for further replies.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
If you want to settle for anything less than a cup, then be my guest.

I'm not here to tell you what should matter or not. You can make your own god damn decisions.

I'm sure Cubs fans had tons of fun during their 108 year drought.

Since when does a fan even have the choice to settle or not? Is there something I should be doing at home to help the boys win?

Newsflash pal, we are along for the ride. And part of that ride is the thousands of games in between Cup wins. If you can't enjoy hockey that isn't a Cup win well welcome to decades of being dissapointed. This isn't a 6 team NHL where the Habs get the best QC born players. Its a 30 team cap league and winning a Cup is insanely difficult. If your team wins one every 30 years you are doing well.

Toronto has been brutal for 20 freakin years. Yes, they have a bright future but I'd take a team that is competitve the past 20 years over a ******* team that just may win something in the next decade.

Habfan10

May 16, 2015
You need to read more because there are a lot of posters getting on Gallagher. He's not playing his game. You don't see him driving the net, battling in front or getting to rebounds. He's playing soft.

Pleks is still making himself useful defensively & on the p.k. Pacioretty is frustrating but is still on his way to a 60pt season. Gally? Not much there right now.

Gallagher soft? Wow, we sure like to back the bus over a player who has more heart than anybody. I get it that he is struggling right now but have you given any thought that he might be playing hurt right now? I believe his track record should speak for itself and allow us all to give him the benefit of doubt. This is his first real bad patch of not performing at his level since being a Hab. I have faith he will rebound.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
hate to be philosophic here being a hockey board discussion and all but, the past being the past nobody can change it, and the future well......nothing is more unshure than the future ...who knows what will happen in the future might as well apreciate the present :)

for sure and the amount of pain that fanbase has been thru to get those players is crazy

still it's tempting in that what if situation

Spectaculard

What am I a fruit?
Jan 25, 2007
Montreal
Since when does a fan even have the choice to settle or not? Is there something I should be doing at home to help the boys win?

Newsflash pal, we are along for the ride. And part of that ride is the thousands of games in between Cup wins. If you can't enjoy hockey that isn't a Cup win well welcome to decades of being dissapointed. This isn't a 6 team NHL where the Habs get the best QC born players. Its a 30 team cap league and winning a Cup is insanely difficult. If your team wins one every 30 years you are doing well.

Toronto has been brutal for 20 freakin years. Yes, they have a bright future but I'd take a team that is competitve the past 20 years over a ******* team that just may win something in the next decade.

If one cup in 30 years is doing well, then how would you describe Chicago's 3 in the last 6 years?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
If Desharnais and Shaw keep getting top six minutes you might as well. Therrien is going to keep it up all the way to the playoffs. Best you cut your losses with this coach. He's going to waste Price's prime.

Every single coach in the league will give guys like Shaw EVERY opportunity to succeed after their GM just gave up two 2nds for him as well as a 6 year deal 3,9M average cap hit.

Your anger comes from your lack of understanding of very simple concepts and is terribly misplaced and misguided if you're mad at MT for Shaw's ice time. Get a grip.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I guess with the Habs winning this game and MT not usually messing with a winning lineup we'll see DD back with Pacioretty yet again next game.

I'm not sure either could look any worse than what they did last night so there's that I guess.

Been reading lots of posts on HF from Leaf fans today. They really are a special breed aren't they.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I envy the Leafs because they invested in a front office and coaching staff that will get them back to respectability.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I envy the Leafs because they invested in a front office and coaching staff that will get them back to respectability.

:facepalm:

14-3-2 on the year

2, arguably 3 franchise players and a decent supporting cast

By all intents and purposes, a cup contender

Yes, would be nice to crawl back into respectability.

Some of the crap I read on here is worse than you read on the main board.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
:facepalm:

14-3-2 on the year

2, arguably 3 franchise players and a decent supporting cast

By all intents and purposes, a cup contender

Yes, would be nice to crawl back into respectability.

Some of the crap I read on here is worse than you read on the main board.

I don't think he's saying that we aren't respectable. Sounds to me like he prefers some of the management, and the hierarchy. IMO, we need a hockey guy above Bergevin. And Therrien is still a toenail tossing thug.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don't think he's saying that we aren't respectable. Sounds to me like he prefers some of the management, and the hierarchy. IMO, we need a hockey guy above Bergevin. And Therrien is still a toenail tossing thug.

I get that, its just that...this team is what a team is supposed to look like at the end of a successful rebuild. Montreal currently is what the Leafs aspire to be.

#1D
#1C
#1W and hopefully another once he decides to return from his holiday (#67)
#1 Player in the world

We're good...its a great time to be a Habs fan. Don't let toenails ruin your season. We have a couple holes to fill but we do have a great GM in charge.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I get that, its just that...this team is what a team is supposed to look like at the end of a successful rebuild. Montreal currently is what the Leafs aspire to be.

#1D
#1C
#1 Player in the world

We're good...its a great time to be a Habs fan. Don't let toenails ruin your season. We have a couple holes to fill but we do have a great GM in charge.
We have a good roster not counting Price. Would like to see a number 2 center upgrade and another top 4 blueliner but I'm sure every team would like something like that. It's not a great lineup but it's decent. Add in Price though and the lineup is a whole lot better. With him we could win a cup on any given year.

We've played mostly mediocre hockey so far but we're winning games. That's good and bad. It's bad because I think this roster isn't playing to it's potential and that concerns me. But it's good because we're able to win games even when we play mediocre hockey. Our schedule's been easy but we're winning the games we're supposed to for the most part.

Bottom line is that this team can play better than it has. And given our record that's a very good thing. I hope we can get back to playing to our potential because we can actually have a good run at a championship with Price playing the way he is.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

#1D
#1C
#1 Player in the world

I'm a bit on the high wire regarding MB. I hated to see Subban go, but Weber is tremendous and the additions of Lehkonen and Radulov are excellent. Mitchell, Danault and Byron are big wins too, IMO. Montoya is a good add. By far, Bergevin's best work over a year.

I'm not sold on this team come playoff time. We have most of the horses, but Therrien has none of my confidence and Bergevin has too many faces.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

You're assuming that all their draft picks will succeed, that they'll be no setbacks or injuries to their currant rookies. They have mediocre goaltending and are very thin at D.

Think you're watching TSN too much, drinking the Koolaid

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

I don't like them but same here, they had no choice doing what they did but it still takes guts to do it as the Leafs, rebuilding is not easy in a market like that but they made the right decision and they're going to be a hell of a team for years to come.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I don't like them but same here, they had no choice doing what they did but it still takes guts to do it as the Leafs, rebuilding is not easy in a market like that but they made the right decision and they're going to be a hell of a team for years to come.

toronto will be good...give it a couple of years

winnipeg were lucky drafting second...Laine is really really good

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Toronto still needs to find defense, which won't be easy. You have to draft them, teams aren't going to give up stud defensemen anymore, they're just too vital. There's no guarantee they'll find them anytime soon, look at Edmonton.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
You're assuming that all their draft picks will succeed, that they'll be no setbacks or injuries to their currant rookies. They have mediocre goaltending and are very thin at D.

Think you're watching TSN too much, drinking the Koolaid

Agreed. Leafs look like Oilers 2.0. But with a good coach. So no more top 3 picks for them.

And don't get me wrong. I know the Oilers might go somewhere with McDavid. But that's McDavid.

What I'm talking about is how the Oilers were supposed to be a powerhouse back in 2010 or 2011. Because they'd just drafted RNH. People around here were giving them the Cup for 2013 or 2014 (at the very least), with RNH winning the Art Ross. Then they sucked, got Yakupov, were supposed to contend, and sucked some more.

As I said, McDavid changes everything. But let's not act like the Oilers sucked for quite a while when a lot of 'experts' said they'd be contenders.

That's what I see now for the Leafs. They'll suck for at least 4 or 5 years and if no McDavid shows up, they won't get anywhere with that rebuild. Babcock will keep them out of the basement.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
That's what I see now for the Leafs. They'll suck for at least 4 or 5 years and if no McDavid shows up, they won't get anywhere with that rebuild. Babcock will keep them out of the basement.

What people don't get is that the Oilers had multiple problems in their rebuilt.

1) Couldn't draft anyone useful past the first round.
2) Missed countless top picks.
3) Edmonton is much less attractive than Toronto for FAs.
4) Politics contributing (new stadium etc.) to spending level for players.

And then Toronto:

1) Toronto already has their top Ds, they are just young.
2) They have 3 studs in Nylander, Marner and Matthews, they have not failed to draft.
3) They seem to be drafting well past their top picks.
4) They will start adding free agents!

Give them 2 years, maybe 3, and they are a playoff team.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
What people don't get is that the Oilers had multiple problems in their rebuilt.

1) Couldn't draft anyone useful past the first round.
2) Missed countless top picks.
3) Edmonton is much less attractive than Toronto for FAs.
4) Politics contributing (new stadium etc.) to spending level for players.

And then Toronto:

1) Toronto already has their top Ds, they are just young.
2) They have 3 studs in Nylander, Marner and Matthews, they have not failed to draft.
3) They seem to be drafting well past their top picks.
4) They will start adding free agents!

Give them 2 years, maybe 3, and they are a playoff team.

Sorry, but I still don't see it.

If they are a playoffs team in 2 or 3 years, you can forget about contending.

Compared to recent cup favorites, I don't see the Crosby/Malkin/Letang or the Toews/Kane/Keith or the Kopitar/Doughty/Quick in Toronto. Do they really have 3 players who can get anywhere near that level? I doubt it.

People are just raving about potential. Like they did back in 2011 or 2012 with the Oilers.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well, Marner could be Kane, and Matthews could definitely end up being something like Kopitar with slightly superior offense.

I don't see Rielly becoming Letang or Doughty or Keith, and I really don't see Andersen becoming anything close to Quick or good-MAF or even Crawford. Hence why the "playoff team" tag instead of "contender".

But that's a team that could certainly be in the playoffs as soon as next year if they can somehow get their hands on a 2nd or 3rd D-Men.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Toronto won't be a contender but they can be a playoff team in as soon as two seasons. This isn't Edmonton. They actually have competent front office staff and aren't about protecting the country club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad