Post-Game Talk: Habs beat Kraken 4-2, PowerHorse scores!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's funny but not surprising how winning brings a team together. Success is the best medicine. Tanking for extended periods is catastrophic -- look at Buffalo.
I hate the idea of tanking.....................and I don't think the habs did that, but putting themelves in a good spot to come out of this in the next year or two.......
So hard to be patient....the draft capital and talent we have on the back end, albeit young, will net us something good.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's not a decline. He looks like the same Josh Anderson as in the previous seasons. He still has the same shot, skating, physicality, etc, and is generating many scoring chances. The difference this season is he's been very unlucky and his confidence dropped after not scoring for so long.
He's not as physical looks a bit timid and doesn't look as bullish strong
Not as hard to handle when he is on front of net which is less than before

We should start worrying about 'his decline' when he stops having and creating scoring chances. The goals will come. Until then, Anderson's effort is manifest for everyone to see. And on a particularly small team, his size brings an important asset when we play heavier teams. And the Kings are looming.
He's playing much smaller than he has in the past
Can tell that becuase he much less noticable

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It's crazy the first time we tried a new look PP with Slafkovsky on left Circle instead of Suzuki who was placed down low and Super bumper extraordinaire Monahan becoming more than just a screener

We Score lol

We actually might have something there, I've always been jealous of the Tampa PP where they have 2 One Timer threats opposite each other with a great bumper disrupting the middle

It was about time we tried something like it, unfortunately Suzuki planted at the left circle and staying there was proving troublesome for the entire PP (not THE reason the PP struggles but an inadvertent small one perhaps)

Now, I cant wait for the day Matheson on that new PP is replaced by the one and only Lane Hutson.
Then we'll really have something

JT3

May 27, 2013
It's crazy the first time we tried a new look PP with Slafkovsky on left Circle instead of Suzuki who was placed down low and Super bumper extraordinaire Monahan becoming more than just a screener

We Score lol

We actually might have something there, I've always been jealous of the Tampa PP where they have 2 One Timer threats opposite each other with a great bumper disrupting the middle

It was about time we tried something like it, unfortunately Suzuki planted at the left circle and staying there was proving troublesome for the entire PP (not THE reason the PP struggles but an inadvertent small one perhaps)

Now, I cant wait for the day Matheson on that new PP is replaced by the one and only Lane Hutson.
Then we'll really have something
I commented somewhere earlier in the season that it was ridiculous that our PP1 had literally no bumper play. Anybody playing in that spot was basically just a useless body standing in the middle of the PK diamond. With Slaf on the half-wall we still have a pretty good playmaker but also a one-timer option as you said. And Suzuki down low can create havoc with his shiftiness and find the lanes to Monahan in the bumper who can actually capitalize there. Small sample size, but I think the setup has some potential. Hopefully we give it a try for a bit.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
The improvements are encouraging and fans should be happy to watch Slaf playing well.
If he had scored a goal last night but was a complete non factor would that be better than the many shifts where he looked strong along the boards, drew a penalty that led to the winning goal? It isn't always about stats. Slaf is becoming a pain to play against and he doesn't have man strength yet.
It’s not only about stats. Slaf looks better, engaged, active stick. Encouraging, finally. He can be a devastating asset to a line or a roster. Absolutely. We can see the hints of it.

Just leave me be with my grumpy self I suppose, because I don’t see cause to celebrate. Relief yes, celebration no. But I post too much and I understand it pisses a lot of you off. Truthfully, I don’t mind pissing Habs fans off just as long as I am not “trolling”. This fanbase is… a lot to handle when you’re on the receiving end of its groupthink hivemind voodoo. I won’t change my position: there is no triumph until he becomes a consistent producer. Celebrate his growth, but he hasn’t arrived. Far far far from it. If it’s a five year project, then so be it, but popping the champagne bottle now as he’s getting lapped by second round picks is embarrassing in my opinion.

And I’m sorry you guys have to read my pessimistic takes that distract from your exuberance. I am. But most of you are cheering on to LOSE. Tanking is the most cynical thing that can be. It’s disgraceful. And tanking to pick up a guy who can’t score is simply bananas.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Redux91 and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It’s not only about stats. Slaf looks better, engaged, active stick. Encouraging, finally. He can be a devastating asset to a line or a roster. Absolutely. We can see the hints of it.

Just leave me be with my grumpy self I suppose, because I don’t see cause to celebrate. Relief yes, celebration no. But I post too much and I understand it pisses a lot of you off. Truthfully, I don’t mind pissing Habs fans off just as long as I am not “trolling”. This fanbase is… a lot to handle when you’re on the receiving end of its groupthink hivemind voodoo. I won’t change my position: there is no triumph until he becomes a consistent producer. Celebrate his growth, but he hasn’t arrived. Far far far from it. If it’s a five year project, then so be it, but popping the champagne bottle now as he’s getting lapped by second round picks is embarrassing in my opinion.

And I’m sorry you guys have to read my pessimistic takes that distract from your exuberance. I am. But most of you are cheering on to LOSE. Tanking is the most cynical thing that can be. It’s disgraceful. And tanking to pick up a guy who can’t score is simply bananas.
Good post and for the record...I think losing is never an option. Always play to win. Instilling a loser mindset gives you 12 years of no playoffs (Buffalo is working on making it 13).
Sometimes all we have are "little victories" such as Slaf's progression.

Reactions: morhilane

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
The improvements are encouraging and fans should be happy to watch Slaf playing well.
If he had scored a goal last night but was a complete non factor would that be better than the many shifts where he looked strong along the boards, drew a penalty that led to the winning goal? It isn't always about stats. Slaf is becoming a pain to play against and he doesn't have man strength yet.
I agree with you but stats are stats for a reason. They paint reasonable picture. Not complete though because he’s been mishandled from day one. Just my option. The kid hasn’t done anything wrong when it comes to that

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Good post and for the record...I think losing is never an option. Always play to win. Instilling a loser mindset gives you 12 years of no playoffs (Buffalo is working on making it 13).
Sometimes all we have are "little victories" such as Slaf's progression.
Yes but there's a strategy in deliberately losing games to possibly land top-tier players. It's a gamble, no doubt, and that's not debatable. While do not want to revisit the argument that tanking is just one aspect of a rebuild — which also needs solid asset and cap management, along with player development — it's important to stress this point again. Also, resorting to tanking in the short term doesn't mean embracing a losing culture; it's more like using a tactic, among others, for long-term gains. I get why you chose Buffalo as an example of what not to do, and others have pointed to Edmonton for the same reason. However, if a decade-plus of a losing culture due to constant tanking is one side of the coin, the other side shows that merely filling gaps in talent can lead to prolonged mediocrity, just like the Habs have experienced for over 30 years, - and themz are my 2 pennies!

Reactions: Tyson

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Everyone one loves a Donkey. But I think on a count of last night he needs to be upgraded back to PowerDonkey.
woh, woh, if you do that, what nickname are you going to give him after he scores when there's a goalie defending the net? I kid Josh, I love Anderson - he plays hard, he actually wants to be in MTL, and more often than not, he is money against the make-believes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad