Proposal: Habs/Avs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I cant believe some Avs fans would actually be ok with trading Byram for 32 years old goalie on 10mln per year contract
Crazy stuff
If you look hard enough you'll find crazy fans in all fanbases. It's just unfortunate when they post proposals on the main board.

Reactions: Spilot23

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
How can you tell a 28 years old goalie is starter when he never was a starter ?

I'll go off the fact he overtook Holtby for a portion of his last season in Washington and than pretty much carried us to the playoffs last season and was stellar in the playoffs aswell. He's shown he can be a starter, and now that he is we will see what kind of starter he really is, to say he's a 1B makes no sense as we've yet to see what he can bring in a 55-60 game workload.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Price has a high but not terrible contract for what he is and that is a top tier goalie in the nhl. Bobrovsky and Vasileski have similar contracts. Grubs May be the biggest reason we miss the playoffs next year( if we do) and I don’t think we would have that concern with Price in net.
regardless of the deal, if avs get Price, they're instant cup contenders

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The Habs could retain some % to even things out. I don't think MB will ever trade Price but at some point Price is likely going to get tired of the rebuild/retool that's been going on. The Habs appear to be focused on the future and they have wasted too many of prime years of Price. He's already voiced this off-season how he wants the team to do more to make the playoffs so another miss and he could want out. After this upcoming season he'll be owed about 54M over 6 years.

But the Habs need to see what they have in Primeau before they can consider this trade so maybe by the deadline or next off-season as the Habs could eat his 8.75M bonus in July so that would leave him being owed 45M over 6 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsAddict

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
AVS: Carey Price

Habs: Bowen Byram
Phillip Grubauer
2020 first round pick

hockey can’t start soon enough. Just a little fun. Shades of the Roy trade. Bringing in Price puts the avs right in contention for at least the next 3 - 5 years. Canadians get a good young goalie, a number 1 d man that they need and a first round pick. What say you?
Or the just keep Grubauer and not give you the one of the top 3 rated D prospects in the league, or lose the flexibility to retain talent.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The team that overvalues their own ALWAYS dismisses any trade.

Try this for a change...what does it do for you?

Can the addition of Price push a team to the top?

Can the subtraction of Price push a team to the bottom?

In this case, the answer is yes to both so there is no way there would be even the smallest possibility of it happening.

Price has kept the Habs from becoming bottom feeders. He's that good. If you take him out now, the Hab's are still not good enough to make the playoffs without him. On that basis alone, a big fat no. I don't really care about the money he makes given that in a few years, post TV contract, it's going to be an "affordable" contract. And yes, in 3-4 years he will take a lesser role.

Last but not least.....anyone who doesn't think Price is a top goalie, well, good for you. Those NHL 2005 games are waiting for your management and hockey knowledge.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Habs could retain some % to even things out. I don't think MB will ever trade Price but at some point Price is likely going to get tired of the rebuild/retool that's been going on. The Habs appear to be focused on the future and they have wasted too many of prime years of Price. He's already voiced his off-season how he wants the team to do more to make the playoffs so another miss and he could want out. After this upcoming season he'll be owed about 54M over 6 years.

But the Habs need to see what they have in Primeau before they can consider this trade so maybe by the deadline in next off-season as the Habs could eat his 8.75M bonus in July so that would leave him being owed 45M over 6 years.

Two minutes in the penalty box for....way too much common sense and logic........:thumbd:

Reactions: montreal

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Can the subtraction of Price push a team to the bottom?

That would be actually be good thing in my opinion. Sounds better than being stuck in mediocrity. But i undestand it's always hard decision to make.

In this case, the answer is yes to both so there is no way there would be even the smallest possibility of it happening.

I mean this is logic behind most deadline trades. So its happening constantly.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
no chance the avs trade Byram. I could see something around Girard is about 2-3 years

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
"A lot of guys play a lot of years and don’t get a chance to win. I don’t want to be one of those guys." - Carey Price

Not sure the Avs really need Price over Grubauer. It would be a slight improvement, but at what cost?

That said, Bergevin does a disservice to Carey if he intends to keep him on the team. Habs are years away from contention and I fear they won't be contenders until Carey is past his prime. His potential is being wasted by inept management.

Unfortunately, his contract is an albatross and most contending teams cannot afford him. That combined with a drop in playing quality means he will probably remain a Hab unless we retain salary.

I'd love to see him moved to a contending team and see what he can do with some real talent in front of him. I think the Avs say no to this deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckinFilet06

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
If you look hard enough you'll find crazy fans in all fanbases. It's just unfortunate when they post proposals on the main board.
Jesus, you act like this is gospel. The avs have a realistic shot at winning a cup this year and with Price the odds go up, exponentially. We know he can handle a big work load and is elite in doing so. The same can’t be said about Grubauer. I’d say most gms in the league would give up at least Byram and Grubauer for a goalie like Price. A great goalie can win you a cup, an average goalie can lose you one.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I agree Byram goes nowhere. The base of the trade is good though.

Grubauer
2020 1st (probably late 20's with Price being an Avs)
Zadorov

Would be an acceptable deal for me as a Habs fan.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
One thing for sure, Price sure instantly turns the Avs into top 3 favorites to win the cup in this scenario but Bynam and Grubauer are enough IMO without a pick

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
if the habs got offered grubauer, the top dman in the 2019 draft and a 1st for price and his 10.5 mil contract, they would take it in a flash. Grubaeur has a career 2.39GAA/.921sv%. the difference between him and price isn't bowen and a 1st

News flash: Montreal would not. It’s all fun and games to have draft picks and top prospects but if your starting goalie is a guy who hasn’t proved he can be a #1 and your back up is someone who had a piss poor year last year then no, it’s not a good deal.

The goal is to win hockey games, get into the playoff and fight for a chance to win the Stanley cup. This trade leaves us with the biggest hole a team could possibly have. The Blues last year is a prime example of what a good goalie can do to a team. From dead last to winning the SC.

It’s like saying Toronto would trade Andersen for Makar and a 2nd round pick because Makar’s a beast and value favor Toronto. Value & top prospects ain’t worth shit if you have an unbalanced lineup.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
News flash: Montreal would not. It’s all fun and games to have draft picks and top prospects but if your starting goalie is a guy who hasn’t proved he can be a #1 and your back up is someone who had a piss poor year last year then no, it’s not a good deal.

The goal is to win hockey games, get into the playoff and fight for a chance to win the Stanley cup. This trade leaves us with the biggest hole a team could possibly have. The Blues last year is a prime example of what a good goalie can do to a team. From dead last to winning the SC.

It’s like saying Toronto would trade Andersen for Makar and a 2nd round pick because Makar’s a beast and value favor Toronto. Value & top prospects ain’t worth **** if you have an unbalanced lineup.

Toronto and Montreal are in very different positions right now.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
And if Montreal wants to be in the same position as Toronto one day (contenders) they need to keep their superstar goalie.

The thought would be that they may make longer than ~3 years to get there, and are you going to want to try to win a cup with a $10m 35+ yo goalie.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The thought would be that they may make longer than ~3 years to get there, and are you going to want to try to win a cup with a $10m 35+ yo goalie.

But is it really the case? They had the 13th best team last season. They have top 5-7 prospect pool in the league depending on who you talk to. The offensive core is literally 26 and under. We got depth on all position but LHD.

It may just be me, but I feel that we can become contenders in 2-3 years and I really don’t have an issue with Price-Weber being our veterans with the young core players we have.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
But is it really the case? They had the 13th best team last season. They have top 5-7 prospect pool in the league depending on who you talk to. The offensive core is literally 26 and under. We got depth on all position but LHD.

It may just be me, but I feel that we can become contenders in 2-3 years and I really don’t have an issue with Price-Weber being our veterans with the young core players we have.

So the best case is that you’re starting your cup contending years with a 34 year old goalie taking up over 10% of the cap? That doesn’t sound great.

Reactions: Patagonia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad