News Article: Habs almost signed Zdeno Chara...

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
A 35+ player should shut the f*ck up and take a 1-year deal, he didn’t want to and screwed himself in the process. Signing gimpy knees to more than 1-year deal would’ve been an exercise in stupidity.
Yeah the alternative worked real well for us.

Here's Weber's PP scoring rates as a Hab.
upload_2020-12-31_16-44-51.png

Wonder what could have possibly caused such a drop off after 16-17, it's one of the great mysteries of the world.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Report: There was mutual interest in Zdeno Chara signing with the Montreal Canadiens

Don't know if this is already talked about, if so please feel free to link to active thread.

But Renaud Lavoie says that there was mutual interest between Habs management and Chara to sign with us.

What do you guys think?

At 43 is he still effective?

As a #6 Dman would you take him.

Would he be a good fit in Montreal.

Can he keep up with today's younger, faster league?

Do you think he would help the Habs?

Chiarot - Weber
Chara - Petry
Edmundson - Romanov

That's a heavy and very physical D right there.

Discuss the what if.
Two beasts with him and Weber!

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Chara has lost three steps..and was slow to begin with. His main advantage was strengths and reach...but you go to get there or catch someone.

He's done. Over. Finished. Kaput.

However.....

He would bring the DingDong Centre Bullies to fruition and a real circus. For maybe 3 games. That's how long the experiment would last since he would be a black hole for our speed and transition game. I can see Julien looking up at the press box, cursing Bbinz.....and nailing Chara's butt to the bench.

Chara signed for his own vanity and I'm not sure why the Caps did it. it's certainly not a hockey move.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Chara, Lucic, Shaw, Prust, Marchand, DeAngelo, etc.

There are certain pieces of shit that you just don't wanna see in the sweater.. we got rid of two, don't need to add more.

Pieces of shit? Why? In Chara's case? A 6'9'' tough player defending his teamates that if he would have not restrained himself could have killed tons of players but didn't? Yeah, that check on Patch was insanely stupid and dangerous. He also could have killed Emelin 1000 times if he wanted. Not going to say that I wanted him.....but unless it's a personal thing like, for example, Voynov.....or a multiple offender on the ice like Cooke, I want to win. Period.

The Expos had terrific teams with coke addicts and terrible human beings. Not saying I'd accept everybody, but thinking we'd win with people whose favorite hobby is flower arrangement, won't make you win.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would take Chara in an instant.
CJ knows him well.

Would be a great mentor for Romanov.

I don't know if you are serious...but if you are.....

How? Teach him to clutch and grab? Speed? What exactly would Chara teach Romanov?

Pairing the two would be a huge step backward. Chara lack of speed would be a black hole for anyone paired with him. Romanov would have to carry the breakout while Chara lumbered up, 10 steps behind him. About the only thing would be that Chara would back Romanov after a hit, but that means, we now have no defense since one is regaining his balance and the other one is trying to keeping his balance, lumbering back.

Romanov's real teachers are Weber/Petry. Possibly playing with one by seasons end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad