Post-Game Talk: Habs 4, Leafs 3: Can't Win in Regulation Edition

Krautso

Nov 30, 2007
Except that the bad games where we've managed to luck/careyprice our way to points likely outnumber the good games where we've lost despite outplaying our opposition 5 to 1.

What is wrong with careypricing our way to points? What team with strong goaltending doesn't do that?

We want to have a great goaltender but not rely on him to contribute to wins?

Boston was able to timthomas their way to a stanley cup.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I watched it via Canadiens Express last night... love that gimmick, always useful when you miss a game...

Anyway, what I got out of it is that GALCHENYUK IS COMING. He's improved in his time off.

He's made the team a lot better.

VL55

Aug 12, 2010
Montreal
Reminds me of the time people thought this team was amazing in November during that 11 game hot streak despite the team looking really bad. The following predictable 13 win in 29 games run more indicative of the same bad play probably surprised them. Here we are again, another 10 game hot streak.

Unless you are saying that with better coaching we would be first in the league, I am quite satisfied with the current record of this squad.

Someone somewhere must be doing a decent job.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Is he talking about the Gleason penalty or the Bernier penalty? Because there was no "you could take the player's body" on Bernier. He didn't try to play it. HE TRIED TO FREEZE IT. Had Bernier rushed out and played the puck, the only penalty called would be the NHL going overprotective on goalies and giving Briere an interference for running into Bernier ;)

Carlyle is refferring to Gleason's penalty on Gionta.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
I watched it via Canadiens Express last night... love that gimmick, always useful when you miss a game...

Anyway, what I got out of it is that GALCHENYUK IS COMING. He's improved in his time off.

He's made the team a lot better.

He works way harder to get the puck instead of waiting for it. With all his talent, when he wants, he gets it. He's becoming an awesome player to watch, we have to make room for him at center for next year.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I don't know where to post that but last week-end on SRC's Culture Club, Guy Carbonneau said he really likes Nickleback.

Montreal4Life*

1st this: I’ve never been called for that, ever, I guess. I don’t even know what the rule is, how far you can actually get it and freeze it, it bounced right in front of me, that’s why I didn’t want to take a chance,†Bernier said afterward.

Sadly for the Leafs, rule 63 of the NHL rulebook couldn’t be clearer: “If the goalkeeper races out of his crease in an attempt to beat the attacking player to the puck and instead of playing the puck jumps on the puck causing a stoppage of play, this shall be a minor penalty for delay of game.â€

the this by the coach: I was under the impression that if it was 1-1000, you could take the player’s body, if the player tries to make a play on it, but obviously with the way the referee saw it, it was different.†Leafs coach Randy Carlyle said following the game

He was talking about the Gleason Interference penalty, not the delay of game

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
These lines would work I think:

Patch-DD-Briere
Galchenyuk-Pleks-Gally
Bourque-Eller-Gionta
Moen-White-Weiss

I doubt it happens because they are winning now. I don't get why Briere gets no icetime, a lot of the time he is out there something good happens lately.

Why are people STILL trying to break up the DD line when that line is saving this team more often than not.

Pleks with Chuckie and Gionta will score. The big issue is Eller's line and he is constantly hamstrung with Bourque.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Galchenyuk should be at centre next year. Another full off-season of training and getting stronger and working on ice at the position.

Come into camp next year and get his shot at taking the #1C spot with some real wingers. I feel pretty confident seeing his development and you can really tell the way he's not shying away from contact anymore and can control the boards and the middle of the ice so much more with the puck on his stick, so silky smooth as well.

It's hard not to see Malkin in the way he plays with the puck on his stick. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Evgeni because he won't be, but there are some real similarities in the way they control the flow.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Why are people STILL trying to break up the DD line when that line is saving this team more often than not.

Pleks with Chuckie and Gionta will score. The big issue is Eller's line and he is constantly hamstrung with Bourque.

Because the belief is it would turn us into a better team. Give Gallagher to Eller, and the 3rd line issue will disappear.

People love to say that we're really not a good team, but I think we are, and I think that's what saving Therrien's ass. That's the only reason we keep winning games despite playing like crap.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Sadly you might be correct in the insinuation that Pacioretty or Desharnais can't produce with different linemates. It's a shame, if they were any good enough to it'd mean the team would have much more spread out offense.

Jacques Martin had a worse group of players, less talent, no Markov, and managed to make the team better in all aspects including playoffs. By comparison, Therrien's work isn't really impressive. It's only the case when you compare it to Cunneyworth's work with a half AHL team.

Last edited:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Breaking DD's line at this point would just as stupid as it was to break the EGG line early this season... Except I don't recall fans asking Therrien to the balance the lines at the time...

PricePkPatch*

Breaking DD's line at this point would just as stupid as it was to break the EGG line early this season... Except I don't recall fans asking Therrien the balance the lines at the time...

I'd like to see Patch-DD-Galchenyuk, and send Gallagher back with Eller to help him out

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Breaking DD's line at this point would just as stupid as it was to break the EGG line early this season... Except I don't recall fans asking Therrien the balance the lines at the time...

The 3 lines were balanced with EGG. Habs were killing it 5 on 5. Granted, Murray/Parros weren't in the lineup either.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'd like to see Patch-DD-Galchenyuk, and send Gallagher back with Eller to help him out

Why not just put Galchenyuk with Eller and leave the DD line alone? They are performing well individually and finally found some chemistry as a unit of three. No point trying to jump start Eller right now. Everyone knows he has the talent, and he actually played well yesterday... But over the last couple of weeks, it wasn't Bourque's fault if he didn't produce. He simply had to take his head out of his ass.

The team was actually playing well, for one.

Their line was playing well, the team, not so much.

Even then, we're 7-1-2 over our last 10...

All I'm saying is that people need to look beyond their DD/Eller love/hate affair. I was among the people that was pissed off at DD's preferential treatment despite his terrible play early this season just as I was among the people that wanted to keep the EGG line together... But the situation is different now. DD is one of our most productive forward and Pacioretty is playing some of the best hockey of his career on his wing, and Gallagher also is playing good hockey.

Plekanec's line is doing what's expected of them as well and the team is winning... Thus no point in breaking DD's line right now.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
So... nobody has a Joker Weise pic?

:sad:

20140302-114001.jpg

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I don't know where to post that but last week-end on SRC's Culture Club, Guy Carbonneau said he really likes Nickleback.

Well playing hockey isn't exactly a getaway to listening decent music and in most cases I guess, it can lead to listening to god awful crap.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Their line was playing well, the team, not so much.

Even then, we're 7-1-2 over our last 10...

All I'm saying is that people need to look beyond their DD/Eller love/hate affair. I was among the people that was pissed off at DD's preferential treatment despite his terrible play early this season just as I was among the people that wanted to keep the EGG line together... But the situation is different now. DD is one of our most productive forward and Pacioretty is playing some of the best hockey of his career on his wing, and Gallagher also is playing good hockey.

Plekanec's line is doing what's expected of them as well and the team is winning... Thus no point in breaking DD's line right now.

It has nothing to do with hate or love of DD/Eller.

Our lines are unbalanced, the team despite what the record says isn't playing well. We consistently get outshot, outchanced, and have issues scoring. We heavily rely on special teams and goaltending. We did the same thing under Carbo and that lead us to a top place finish. But we weren't actually good. Looking at our record and saying ''hey, we're 3rd, things must be good'' is the worst way to analyse our team.
The difference is we can be a much more organized team and play way better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad