Post-Game Talk: Habs 4, Leafs 3: Can't Win in Regulation Edition

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm a big Eller fan so I'll through my 2 cents in here:

Eller definitely has to take part of the blame for not generating points. He has shown how dominant he can be when he is on, and when he is he generates a lot of chances. So even though it's fair to not call him a playmaker he has the ability to create offence and that fact that he isn't has to be put on him, but not him alone.

I think it's 50/50 when it comes to his scoring woes. Eller's weaknesses offensively are minimalized on the PP. He has more time to make a move, more support, an easier role (dig out pucks, hold onto the puck, calm things down, pass it off, get open/go to the net) than his 5on5 because:

A)He's not playing centre
B)On the PP you have to worry less about Defence

Ellers biggest weakness is confidence in his abilities and mental strength. We saw him go to a sports psycologist and it did wonders up until the Gryba hit. We saw him play well again during the EGG line's time (but obviously he wasn't leading the way so to speak; Galchy was the guy making things happen, and that's okay)

The coaching staff should know this is his weakness more than anyone, and they should take care of it by throwing him a bone every now and then on the PP, or with some better wingers for a shift. I'm not suggesting they coddle him, but they should know that leaving him to rot in a minimal role is not how you manage a talent like Eller.

I do like that Briere is with him now because Briere can pass and set him up. I think Prust or Bournival should be the LW on the line when the return.

I refuse to believe that Eller is sulking, or that he's dissatisfied. I'm sure he's frustrated but he has shown to be effective in a defensive role, and he's impressing me with how much his hitting/physical game has grown. When a player is in a rut, you either see them give up on plays, or try to do too much and get out of sync. It's pretty clear Eller is doing the latter. So at least the effort and willingness to battle is there, even if he's overhandling the puck and is out of rhythm.

Eller's a pro and he is a pretty mature guy. I believe he would be the first guy to tell you he's not playing at his best, but there comes a time when MT needs to give him opportunities (not just one shift) to be a bigger factor. The PP is the perfect place to do that IMO because he has specific skills we are lacking and the PP needs new ideas anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad