Salary Cap: Habs 2020-2021 - Offseason (Cap - RFA/UFA) Thread

How many from that list will be back and playing next year ?

• Total voters

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sure, but that's a hypothetical situation (Byron being moved at a reasonable cost). I agree that would be ideal, but I don't see it as extremely likely, as cap space will be at a premium again this off-season and Byron hasn't been great this season.

There are many hypothecal situations of trades that "could" be made, but that wasn't really the point of the original post.

Ultimately, I would like to see Lekh on the 4th line and a winger with size and play-making abilities on the 3rd line with Gally and Danault. That could be Poehling, but it's a bit too early to pencil him in IMO

I think MB can move Byron.

I think the reason he didn't move him before this year is because he really likes (liked?) Byron as a player. Many of us have been clamoring to move him for years. Now that Byron is a 4th liner/healthy scratch with a 3.4M cap hit and has been put on waivers, it appears MB is finally ready to move him. Remember, MB put Perry on waivers over Byron at the beginning of the year, when putting Byron on waivers would have given us more cap relief. Now, he wouldn't do that - he values Perry more than Byron.

So now that it's actually a realistic scenario, I do think it's possible to find a non-contender like Ottawa or Detroit that has cap space that would take Byron's cap hit in exchange for us giving them a pick. Detroit took Staal's big cap hit for a 2nd. Staal only has 1 year on his deal, Byron has two more, but at a lower cap hit... The question of course is what pick(s) would it take to move him... If it means having the cap space to sign or re-sign a 55 point winger (like Tatar) to a reasonable deal, I'd be willing to use Tampa's 2nd to move Byron.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomTask26

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think he can without it costing more then it would be worth to move him. No team will want to pay him 4M next season and then 2.8M the next.

Detroit taking on Marc Staal's 5M+ deal for a 2nd gives me hope.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I think MB can move Byron.

I think the reason he didn't move him before this year is because he really likes (liked?) Byron as a player. Many of us have been clamoring to move him for years. Now that Byron is a 4th liner/healthy scratch with a 3.4M cap hit and has been put on waivers, it appears MB is finally ready to move him. Remember, MB put Perry on waivers over Byron at the beginning of the year, when putting Byron on waivers would have given us more cap relief. Now, he wouldn't do that - he values Perry more than Byron.

So now that it's actually a realistic scenario, I do think it's possible to find a non-contender like Ottawa or Detroit that has cap space that would take Byron's cap hit in exchange for us giving them a pick. Detroit took Staal's big cap hit for a 2nd. Staal only has 1 year on his deal, Byron has two more, but at a lower cap hit... The question of course is what pick(s) would it take to move him... If it means having the cap space to sign or re-sign a 55 point winger (like Tatar) to a reasonable deal, I'd be willing to use Tampa's 2nd to move Byron.

I don't think he can without it costing more then it would be worth to move him. No team will want to pay him 4M next season and then 2.8M the next.

I think Bergy knows very clearly that Byron isn't worth his contract, the problem is that the rest of the league does too. The Staal example isn't comparable IMO, Detriot needed an experienced D and it was for 1 year. 4th liners like Byron are much easier to find, plus as you mentioned the added years on Byron's contract. I'm not saying Byron is unmovable, but similar to @montreal 's post, I believe Bergy is unlikely to be willing to add enough to make it worthwhile for another team to take Byron's contract, especially a team like Ottawa where actual dollars matter more than cap hit.

I think it would be a minimum of a 2nd and good prospect to move Byron, maybe more. I guess the unknown is the off-season landscape with the XD looming. Who knows maybe Seattle likes Byron's leadership abilities, lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 26Mats

expy

Nov 2, 2010
before last game he had 2 goals in 27 games, depending on what moves they make, we are going to be very much up against the cap, he's soft and was terrible in the playoffs. we'll see how the rest of the season goes but I hope he's not back and that MB can upgrade that spot.
Speaking of soft, Drouin is one and also is making more than Tatar, unfortunately we're stuck with Drouin for another few years and we'll always have the stigma of having given up our Defensive future for Mr. Hometown Boy. It's really unfortunate that Bergevin has messed up the cap so much. Tatar is one point behind a guy who makes 700k more than him and who plays with players who are more offensively gifted than anyone Tatar has played with.

His contract is up, I'm sure we can sign him on for less than what he's making, and considering the market and comparable players, he won't really have much wiggle room for discussion.

I honestly how Bergevin doesn't get to make any more moves and make the team worse than he already has.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Speaking of soft, Drouin is one and also is making more than Tatar, unfortunately we're stuck with Drouin for another few years and we'll always have the stigma of having given up our Defensive future for Mr. Hometown Boy. It's really unfortunate that Bergevin has messed up the cap so much. Tatar is one point behind a guy who makes 700k more than him and who plays with players who are more offensively gifted than anyone Tatar has played with.

His contract is up, I'm sure we can sign him on for less than what he's making, and considering the market and comparable players, he won't really have much wiggle room for discussion.

I honestly how Bergevin doesn't get to make any more moves and make the team worse than he already has.

but i've been told in the Drouin thread that he's playing great. lol.

If we knew that the cap would be going up next year even a little, maybe they could fit him in as I assume Danault is a bigger need since Caufield likely isn't far off.

I honestly do not think a legit contender and not saying the Habs will be in the next year or two, but I don't think you can have 2 major creampuffs in Tatar and Drouin taking up so much cap/TOI. We are stuck with Drouin, as rumors were MB tried to trade him and shockingly no one was interested in a soft one way 50 ish pt winger.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I just don't get why capfriendly doesn't have Byron on the taxi squad yet. The Habs must not have release that info cause I don't see how he's not being as though he just cleared waivers and we are off a week.

I know. Sometimes they're slow to update it.

Habs don't announce all of their taxi movements, especially when they're paper transactions. I do wonder where CF get their info from when they put someone on the taxi squad. For example, Habs don't announce if they place KK or Suzuki or Evans or Romanov on the taxi squad. But there are times CF lists them on the taxi squad. Do they get internal memos from the NHL teams?

I know the AHL has a transactions page where you can get that kind of info from. We wouldn't know about the Dauphin transaction if it hadn't been for the AHL Transaction page. But the NHL doesn't have one. Or one that I'm aware of. So how do they know who the team places on the taxi squad if the team doesn't always announce it?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I know. Sometimes they're slow to update it.

Habs don't announce all of their taxi movements, especially when they're paper transactions. I do wonder where CF get their info from when they put someone on the taxi squad. For example, Habs don't announce if they place KK or Suzuki or Evans or Romanov on the taxi squad. But there are times CF lists them on the taxi squad. Do they get internal memos from the NHL teams?

I know the AHL has a transactions page where you can get that kind of info from. We wouldn't know about the Dauphin transaction if it hadn't been for the AHL Transaction page. But the NHL doesn't have one. Or one that I'm aware of. So how do they know who the team places on the taxi squad if the team doesn't always announce it?

I was wondering that too

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
This is the Habs reserve list.

RHP, Leguerrier, Ikonen, and Ruscheinski's rights will expire on June 1st. I

I don't see Ruscheinski getting a contract. Ikonen probably won't get one considering all the injuries he's had. Leguerrier could potentially get one. RHP will definitely get a contract.

upload_2021-3-26_14-24-49.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 2.18.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 2.18.40 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 2

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It will be interesting to see what MB does with this team in the off-season since only 6 current players are under contract for next year. That's a lot of possible turnover.

We know Fairbrother is incoming.

Fleury, Pezzetta are new players to the waivers list for next year, not that Pezzetta wouldn't clear. With the way he's playing I'd bring him back for sure

Poehling, Leskinen, Brook, Primeau, and of course the rookies all waiver exempt next year.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Btw do people here realize the cap purgatory this team's going to be in within the next calendar year?
How so? Tatar & Armia are gonzo, so likely is one of Chiarot, Edmundson, or Allen - with all those holes likely replaced by an ELC. If Chiarot is not gone via expansion draft, he’s entering UFA season again to be likely replaced by an ELC in 22-23

Habs will likely free up over $10M

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Btw do people here realize the cap purgatory this team's going to be in within the next calendar year?

The Habs have a lot of options. Danault, Armia, and Tatar will all be UFAs, Byron can be bought out, and one of Chiarot or Edmundson is likely to be picked up in the expansion draft.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I talk a lot about the issues with the lack of goal scorers on the team,

Blandisi - 8 in 19 games
Ylonen - 7 in 20
Teasale - 6 in 18
Poehling - 6 in 19
RHP - 5 in 20
Weal - 5 in 20
Veilleux - 4 in 11
Vejdemo - 4 in 17
Mysak - 2 in 13
5 others with 2, Brook, Leskinen, Dauphin, Belzile, Schueneman

so only 4 players with more then 5 goals and 2 of them are rookies. Granted it's not a full season but that's something that they will want to fix next year imo

Current vets are Ouellet, Weal, Veilleux and Blandisi with Belzile and Olofsson possibly becoming vets next year.

Only Ouellet has a contract for next year. With Harris going back for his senior year, I see Olofsson re-signed along with Veilleux and Belzile.

I think they will keep only one of Blandisi or Weal, whoever agree to a 2-way deal. Hopefully, they go after a scorer this summer. If we can't get Hudon back, Mayhew, Bailey, Agostino, Lettieri, L'esperance, Currie or Carr could all be decent targets. Getting Terry or Boucher back from the KHL would be great, but both made great transition (Boucher especially ending top15 in KHL) so I doubt it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Current vets are Ouellet, Weal, Veilleux and Blandisi with Belzile and Olofsson possibly becoming vets next year.

Only Ouellet has a contract for next year. With Harris going back for his senior year, I see Olofsson re-signed along with Veilleux and Belzile.

I think they will keep only one of Blandisi or Weal, whoever agree to a 2-way deal. Hopefully, they go after a scorer this summer. If we can't get Hudon back, Mayhew, Bailey, Agostino, Lettieri, L'esperance, Currie or Carr could all be decent targets. Getting Terry or Boucher back from the KHL would be great, but both made great transition (Boucher especially ending top15 in KHL) so I doubt it.

I'd rather see them keep Belzile, Blandisi and Veilleux . Olofsson if he wants to be back. Would love to get Hudon or Terry. Since we are a big money team, pay Terry on a 750K one way and then send him to Laval.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just looked up Hudon, who's rights we still own, and he's a ppg but he's also 3rd on his team in goals the 2 players in front of him have played between 10-15 more games. I wonder if he would come back now that Julien is gone. Granted I know he doesn't want to be in the NHL, f*** it and give him a 750K one way, if he can make the team next year so be it but if not he won't get picked off waivers i'm guessing. I don't think he makes 750K in the NLA though I don't know as I do know they are paid better there then most other Euro leagues.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Blandisi and Belzile are the ones I hope the most are back. Veilleux would be good to bring back. Don't really care about Baddock as long as Pezzetta is back, which I fully assume he will be.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
So where are we concerning the cap. With Price and Gallagher out, can we dress 18+2 in Toronto?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Blandisi and Belzile are the ones I hope the most are back. Veilleux would be good to bring back. Don't really care about Baddock as long as Pezzetta is back, which I fully assume he will be.

I would probably look to bring back roughly the same squad for Laval, as the team is doing so good they deserve a chance to compete for the Cup in a normal season.

Sure, Poehling, Fleury, Caufield, Leskinen might be on Montreal, but even without them they should be very competitive. We have enough space to add a contract or two for perhaps an AHL veteran that can replace Poehling/Fleury, etc if need be.

By the way, would it be possible for Paul Byron to end up in Laval nexy year? He's been waived/scratched already, and his salary is obviously too rich. Nobody will want him. Like Weal, if he gets waived next year, I could see him starting in Laval. Maybe he could lose his 4th line spot to Poehling in Montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad