Salary Cap: Habs 2020-2021 - Offseason (Cap - RFA/UFA) Thread

How many from that list will be back and playing next year ?

• Total voters

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I think the Habs will be fine next offseason, hopefully they save some cap space to sign some cheap free agents who are just looking to find a team.

My worry is the next offseason when they have to sign both Suzuki and Romanov to deals.

In the 22/23 season I see the cap being at a max of $82.5 million. Right now the Habs have 10 players signed at a total of $57 million. If they resign KK, Danault, and Tatar to a total of $15 million. That leaves them about $10.5 million for 10 players including Suzuki and Romanov. Yeah they’ll get more space with the loss of a player to the expansion draft, but still it will be tight if they decide to resign both Tatar and Danault.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
with the Habs off for a few days it's KK's turn for the paper move to the taxi squad along with Perry.

With Armia likely close to a return, something has to give as we need cap space badly as a couple injuries and we will be f***ed.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
If push comes to shove you make a deal with Seattle to take Byron. Maybe give them a 2nd or 3rd. It’s not a big deal and I’m not worried.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If push comes to shove you make a deal with Seattle to take Byron. Maybe give them a 2nd or 3rd. It’s not a big deal and I’m not worried.

That would be a mistake to pay that much. I'm pretty sure you could get a pick from Ottawa instead. He's an Ottawa boy and they might lose almost all their vets to FA this offseason. At worst retain like 500k, way better than give a 2nd.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
today is Evans turn to the paper taxi. Though without doing the math, they should hit KK, Romanov, Suzuki double to the times to Evans since they would save more cap,

KK- 925K
Romanov - 894,167
Suzuki - 863,333
Evans - 750K

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
That would be a mistake to pay that much. I'm pretty sure you could get a pick from Ottawa instead. He's an Ottawa boy and they might lose almost all their vets to FA this offseason. At worst retain like 500k, way better than give a 2nd.

If that's possible, I'd do that (move Byron to Ottawa instead).

I'd make a deal with Seattle to take Chiarot instead, once the Byron deal is done. I'd try to package Armia for a rental at the deadline this year. Players like Lehkonen (which we can always re-sign for around 2.75M) will always be a trade asset in the future, easily moved, if necessary. Kulak's contract comes to an end after next season as well.

Byron, Chiarot and Armia represent a combined Cap hit of 9.5M. Add 2M for the Alzner buyout being less and 1,475M for Allen's extension contract at only 2.875M, plus the rumoured 1M rise in the Cap from the NHL and you suddenly have 13.975M to play with.

The Forward group looks like:

Drouin (5.5M) - Suzuki (1.3M) - Anderson (5.5M) = 12.3M
Tatar (?) - Danault (?) - Gallagher (6.5M) = 6.5M +? + ?
Toffoli (4.25M) - Kotkaniemi (?) - Caufield (1.35M) = 5.6M + ?
Poehling (?) - Evans (750K) - (Lehkonen (2.75M) = 3.5M + ?

Edmundson (3.5M) - Petry (6.25M) = 9.75M
Romanov (1.1M) - Weber (7.857M) = 8.957M
Kulak (1.85M) - Mystery D from Mete, Fleury, Brook, Norlinder, Harris, Struble or Guhle (925K) = 2.775M

Price (10.5M)
Allen (2.875M)

20-Man roster = 62.757M, with Tatar, Danault, Kotkaniemi and Poehling to sign.

19.743M to avare these players, a larger roster size and an injury reserve.

IMO, Danault and tatar get re-signed for 11M total, however you split that money. 8.743M after those two, with a 1M bridge for Poehling so, 7.743M left over. How much is a 4-yr bridge to Kotkaniemi worth, leaving him RFA for one more year? 4.5M? 5M? He's not PLD yet so, 5M should be more than fair and definitely not create any future animosity so, 2.743M for depth players on a 23-man roster (2.25M for three league minimum salaries and 518K for the injury reserve. By relegating players, down to a 21-ma roster, to the farm team between games, we should save another Million throughout the season

There's 1.5M to save for the following season with a 21-man roster, plus the 518K already for the injury reserve so, 18K over 2M.

There's the rumoured 1M increase in the Cap, bringing us to 3.18M. That's enough to give 4M to Romanov.

For Suzuki, we need around 4.7M to give him a longe term bridge at 5.5M so, we must move Lehkonen and Allen for 5.6275M. That leaves just shy of 1M for two replacements and there's no money fr the injury reserve. There's the extra 1.125M for the Alzner buyout being saved so, around 2.12M for the two replacements and the injury reserve and no room to pare down the roster size for more savings afterwards. 880K for Primeau to replace Allen and 880K for Ylonen to replace Lehkonen so, 360K, only, left fr the injury reserve.

Tight but, maybe it's 5M for Suzuki that seals the deal and we are closer to 860K for the injury reserve or, it was 4.5M the previous year for KK and 5M that year for Suzuki and we are now at 1.36M for the injury reserve!

All doable...

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
If that's possible, I'd do that (move Byron to Ottawa instead).

I'd make a deal with Seattle to take Chiarot instead, once the Byron deal is done. I'd try to package Armia for a rental at the deadline this year.
Rental for a rental. Sounds like a solid plan.

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021

TLTW- I've been curious lately how things will play out moving into next season. I know we are only early into the 2021 season, but the habs do have an awesome team right now. How much will Kotkaniemi command , hes a RFA after this season.. Brendan Gallagher's extension and raise kicks in next season, and it's been reported Philip Danault has denied a 30 million dollar contract over a 6 year period. If he thinks he is worth more than 5 million , how much is he expecting? 6? 5.5? I think its too much, personally. Also Tomas Tatar is a free agent as well. Which leads me to believe one of the two will not be a Hab next season.
What do you guys think the options are?

Reactions: sandviper

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
He might have thought he is worth more before the pandemic had a huge reduction on salaries, but no way in hell he is now.

Reactions: HockeyJunkie87

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021
He might have thought he is worth more before the pandemic had a huge reduction on salaries, but no way in hell he is now.
Yeah I honestly think he shot himself in the foot by not signing the contract. Just my opinion ofcourse.. Guys in the league like Brayden Point, Ryan Oreilly making 6 mil a season. No way in hell Danault is worth that much. He's a good shut down center, that can play a 2c.3c role, that can fill in on the top line when necessary but I think he is overvaluing himself.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Tatar wants to test the market and Dano is asking for too much.

Both will be gone and instead of hoping we can beat one of the top teams (when we have difficulty beating Ottawa) we should sell them for young players.

On another note, since when are posters allowed to plug their YT channel on HF?

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Tatar wants to test the market and Dano is asking for too much.

Both will be gone and instead of hoping we can beat one of the top teams (when we have difficulty beating Ottawa) we should sell them for young players.

On another note, since when are posters allowed to plug their YT channel on HF?
I agree with you for Tatar but not Danault.

Tatar should go for futures at the deadline. That will open a spot on the top 6 for Caufield this year or next. But it all depends on the return on Tatar. If it’s nothing more than a 2nd round or something like that, I keep him for the run and let him walk as UFA.

As for Danault, you need to keep him. Our Depth at center is a big force for us and you need to keep him until KK is ready for top 6 role. For me, the strategy with Danault should be resigning him at 5-5,5 for 5 years. You keep him until KK finishes his 2 years bridge contract and then trade him. In 3 years, the cap should start going up again, making Danault’s contract acceptable for other teams.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I would sign them for probably less than they would get on the market so I don't mind if they leave. I love Tatar but he's way too streaky and disappears when it matters. He's not a playoffs warrior at all, you don't pay players 5M$ a year to disappear when it matters the most.
For 16M$/4yrs, I sign Danault, not one cent more. He's still a good shutdown 3rd line C. If he leaves though we would miss mrb1p bashing on him days in days out.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

TLTW- I've been curious lately how things will play out moving into next season. I know we are only early into the 2021 season, but the habs do have an awesome team right now. How much will Kotkaniemi command , hes a RFA after this season.. Brendan Gallagher's extension and raise kicks in next season, and it's been reported Philip Danault has denied a 30 million dollar contract over a 6 year period. If he thinks he is worth more than 5 million , how much is he expecting? 6? 5.5? I think its too much, personally. Also Tomas Tatar is a free agent as well. Which leads me to believe one of the two will not be a Hab next season.
What do you guys think the options are?

Good work as usual.

Kotkaniemi I think won't command as much as we may fear since statistically, he hasn't gone next level yet (though still 3/4 of the season to go). Anyhow, no doubt he stays, but if I were to guess, he will be bridged. Luke Kunin has somewhat similar numbers and got a $2.3m bridge deal. I think Kotkaniemi will be close, maybe $2.5 to $2.8 since his numbers are a little better.

I'd be completely stunned if Danault makes more than $5.5, anywhere. Flat cap for the near future isn't going to help his cause if he wants a long term deal. He may make $6m if he's ok with a 2-3 year deal, but no way he's getting a $36m deal over 5 to 6 years.

Tatar may stay if his ask is Toffoli type of money. Toffoli is making $4.25m, averaged 20g/42p in his last 3 seasons. Tatar averaged 22g/51p last 3 seasons. If we can get him for $4.5m, I'd keep him.

Lehkonen I think stays. Given his assigned role and current/past statistics, can't see him making more than $2.8.

Armia I think is on the way out, as is Mete.

So, let's just assume KK and Lehks is $2.8m, Tatar is $4.5, that puts us at $10.1. We are around $15.5m cap free in 21-22, so even giving Danault $5m puts us in a tough spot to fill out roster spots. Granted, we may lose a player at expansion, but the way I see it, out of Tatar, Armia and Danault, only one is coming back.

Reactions: HockeyJunkie87

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021
Good work as usual.

Kotkaniemi I think won't command as much as we may fear since statistically, he hasn't gone next level yet (though still 3/4 of the season to go). Anyhow, no doubt he stays, but if I were to guess, he will be bridged. Luke Kunin has somewhat similar numbers and got a $2.3m bridge deal. I think Kotkaniemi will be close, maybe $2.5 to $2.8 since his numbers are a little better.

I'd be completely stunned if Danault makes more than $5.5, anywhere. Flat cap for the near future isn't going to help his cause if he wants a long term deal. He may make $6m if he's ok with a 2-3 year deal, but no way he's getting a $36m deal over 5 to 6 years.

Tatar may stay if his ask is Toffoli type of money. Toffoli is making $4.25m, averaged 20g/42p in his last 3 seasons. Tatar averaged 22g/51p last 3 seasons. If we can get him for $4.5m, I'd keep him.

Lehkonen I think stays. Given his assigned role and current/past statistics, can't see him making more than $2.8.

So, let's just assume KK and Lehks is $2.8m, Tatar is $4.5, that puts us at $10.1. We are around $15.5m cap free in 21-22, so even giving Danault $5m puts us in a tough spot to fill out roster spots. Granted, we may lose a player at expansion, but the way I see it, out of Tatar, Armia and Danault, only one is coming back.
Very nice Observations sandviper , It'll be interesting to see how this pans out

Reactions: sandviper

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Good work as usual.

Unless they're willing to sign team friendly deals, these players will have to wait until after the expansion draft to get an offer. Even then, I think there are no less than 5 guys we can sign to stopgap deals that can do what Phil does. Tuna can be replaced internally. Armia is interesting. At the right price he is a great bottom six guy, one of the best.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
No way i'd resign Danault or Tatar...too much money on guys that are nice complimentary pieces but nothing more.

Rather use the savings and go after Landeskog / Hall if their respective teams can't afford them or simply wait it out and capitalize on teams needing to cut payroll, of which there will be many.

The Habs are in a great position cap wise if they choose to spend wisely and not box themselves in on redundant players like Tatar and Danault or Armia.

Reactions: Hins77

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Yeah I honestly think he shot himself in the foot by not signing the contract. Just my opinion ofcourse.. Guys in the league like Brayden Point, Ryan Oreilly making 6 mil a season. No way in hell Danault is worth that much. He's a good shut down center, that can play a 2c.3c role, that can fill in on the top line when necessary but I think he is overvaluing himself.
I get the point you’re trying to make but O’reilly is on a 7.5 mil cap hit with a heavily bonus structured salary and Point on a 3 year 6.75 mil cap hit that still keeps him an RFA when done. There not at 6 and far from the rumored 6 year 5 mil cap hit danault refused. Point is going to make bank when his contract is done and OReilly already is

Reactions: Simarino

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
No way i'd resign Danault or Tatar...too much money on guys that are nice complimentary pieces but nothing more.

Rather use the savings and go after Landeskog / Hall if their respective teams can't afford them or simply wait it out and capitalize on teams needing to cut payroll, of which there will be many.

The Habs are in a great position cap wise if they choose to spend wisely and not box themselves in on redundant players like Tatar and Danault or Armia.
Totally. You put the right finger on it. Boxing themselve. Lol. I dont want to see the club like the next preds of nashville. Imo. Danault and tatar are complementary piece. The cap space is really important like we see this year. Tatar isnt on his prime anymore. Signing him for 3/4 years will be a big mistake. I rather like to sign better player on ufa market than keeping them

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
We need to keep Danault and Armia or this team goes back to being a bubble team. We can't afford to lose their grit and Armia's size- we need more of that as it is if we want to beat the Colorados, etc. Wish we would have gone after Saad and dumped Drouin... With the pandemic affecting salaries, maybe Tatar will take a cheaper deal or a one year deal so he can keep putting up numbers on our top line and cash in when the market is back to normal. His /60 numbers are among the league leaders for several years now and he fits great on that line. Give Danault 5.5m and be done with it. The fans don't understand the kind of player he is- he's a very good skater, strong on his pins, elite on the draw, as a facilitator, as a defender against the best players in the league, on the boards, and is a very good playmaker too. He's not the perfect #1, but so what, that's why he's only getting 5.5. He's more of an ROR lite. which also has great value. He's a Quebec guy and he plays hard and wants to be here- he just wants fair value...why on earth are (some) fans turning on him?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aces on the road

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad