Salary Cap: Habs 2020-2021 - Offseason (Cap - RFA/UFA) Thread

How many from that list will be back and playing next year ?

• Total voters

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
WTF? Really? That's your recap on the whole he's not even ready for the AHL thing...
I said maybe. Next year he should. Neither here nor there though, point is he shouldn't be looked at as Tatar's replacement as of next season.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
today is Evans turn to the paper taxi. Though without doing the math, they should hit KK, Romanov, Suzuki double to the times to Evans since they would save more cap,

KK- 925K
Romanov - 894,167
Suzuki - 863,333
Evans - 750K
They need to have a minimum of 20 guys on the roster, and I am not sure Perry counts as he is an emergency recall. If he doesn't count, moving two guys to the taxi squad would put them at 19.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
,750 with half the points vs a weak nucks team, in a weak division. Tatar and Dano are complimentary players.

Even contenders sell sometimes, it's nothing new, it just depends on the players and situation.

What is Tatar going to serve in the playoffs? Is Dano that much important or can we replace him with someone from a team looking for an upgrade on C (2nd for 3c) and not end-up empty handed? Not looking at alternatives instead of losing assets for nothing is a surefire way to make it more difficult in the upcoming years.

Losing one of them for nothing is not the end of the world, but doing it for both does not bode well for our asset base in the future. We need to recycle assets to insure perenity, or else we'll still end-up going through another drop in performance.

The "win now" mentality is held-up on very thin samples and is mainly centered around what the Habs ownership has been peddling for so long; hope.

If they sell Danault and Tatar, it will be to free cap space to buy replacements, potentially for a higher price.

I would be very surprised if we end the TDL weaker than we are. Unless of course we have a major collapse and end up on the outside looking in, but the chances of that happening in this division are very small. I would be surprised if we don't end up at worst 2nd.

I think there are more chances we go all-in for these playoffs and trade futures for upgrades now than actually selling our FA we don't intend to re-sign this summer. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tatar, Danault and Armia (Frolik and Perry too I guess) walk away on July 1st.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised to see Tatar, Danault and Armia (Frolik and Perry too I guess) walk away on July 1st.
I am not nervous at all about that scenario. There is little money available on the market from other teams and I believe we might get them back at cheaper than expected.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I am not nervous at all about that scenario. There is little money available on the market from other teams and I believe we might get them back at cheaper than expected.

If Tatar/Danault want money, they can get more with a team like Detroit than they would here. They have Glendening, Staal, Helm and Filppula all coming off their contract so they will have a ton of money to spend. Some other teams could also have space forming this summer like New Jersey.

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
What does this team do with Danualt and Tatar? Do we lose them both for nothing at the end of the season?

Though I am indifferent on both players.... would be poor asset management to lose while not getting any return. And we have no centre in the system to replace Danault (as inept offensively as he is)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What does this team do with Danualt and Tatar? Do we lose them both for nothing at the end of the season?

Though I am indifferent on both players.... would be poor asset management to lose while not getting any return. And we have no centre in the system to replace Danault (as inept offensively as he is)

hard to say between that and the expansion draft, clearly some touch choices ahead for MB.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Yes. You can’t trade them for futures because you need them to compete, but neither are worth long term contracts. Caufield replaces Tatar but not sure who replaces Danault at this point. Maybe they can sign a pylon.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
moves for today, KK back to the Habs (paper), Byron to the taxi, Frolik to Laval.

So currently we have Byron, Perry, Lindgren on the taxi squad so Verbeek or someone else will have to go there today.

With 20 players on the NHL roster, we are projected to have just under 1.5M in cap space, currently over 2M until someone is recalled before Saturday's game.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
will post the lineup once it's listed. Could see Demchenko in net, hopefully Hillis makes his debut. I read that Fleury has a minor injury and that's why he's on the taxi squad with Belzile, Lindgren and Frolik.
They should be adding Byron again today to the Taxi Squad. Does Corey Perry now have to go through waivers again to be placed back on Taxi Squad? Or did at least one of his games qualify as an Emergency Recall? And does that even matter?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They should be adding Byron again today to the Taxi Squad. Does Corey Perry now have to go through waivers again to be placed back on Taxi Squad? Or did at least one of his games qualify as an Emergency Recall? And does that even matter?

Perry has to go through waivers again to be placed on the taxi squad.

I initially thought that emergency recall doesn't count on the 10. But then I learned that they do count against the 10.

I believe the only thing an emergency recall doesn't count on is the 30-day counter.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

yes Byron went to the taxi squad yesterday with Evans. adam answered you on Perry, don't think it really matters as he's cleared waivers already but you never know as timing can be a big part of it as if a team suddenly has an injury and thinks he's a better, cheaper option.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
As much as I hoped it'd happen, Suzuki/KK/Romanov won't be too much trouble to re-sign. They aren't near Barzal/Aho/etc level to actually be concerned IMO.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

I like this idea.

I can’t see Bettman and the owners ever agreeing to it. Also with the 50/50 revenue split, allowing teams to go beyond the cap (unless they lower it) would put a lot more money in the escrow balance.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So with Fairbrother signed to his ELC, the other players whose rights expire in June are:

- RHP (currently on an AHL deal)
- Ikonen
- LeGuerrier
- Ruscheinski

The only one of these we can say with confidence will be signed to an ELC will be RHP. It would be a 2-Year ELC since he's 22.

Will be interesting to see if LeGuerrier will get some games in before he heads back to the OHL similar to how Fairbrother got some games in before heading to Everett (and earned himself a contract).

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So with Fairbrother signed to his ELC, the other players whose rights expire in June are:

- RHP (currently on an AHL deal)
- Ikonen
- LeGuerrier
- Ruscheinski

The only one of these we can say with confidence will be signed to an ELC will be RHP. It would be a 2-Year ELC since he's 22.

Will be interesting to see if LeGuerrier will get some games in before he heads back to the OHL similar to how Fairbrother got some games in before heading to Everett (and earned himself a contract).

Rucheinski rights could be extended if he commits to an NCAA team I believe. Not that it would really matter. :laugh:

Reactions: Adam Michaels

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
95% Danault is gone...

To be replaced by who...? A young Poehling who just had 3 great games after an abysmal year and then have your first 3 centers under 22 and not exactly tearing it up? Let him earn the spot. As long as Danault doesn't get that 5x6 contract, he's an experienced center the Habs badly need. Even if it's on the 3rd line.

What is the last team dominating with 3 centers under 22yo? Pittsburgh with Crosby, Malkin and Staal?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
To be replaced by who...? A young Poehling who just had 3 great games after an abysmal year and then have your first 3 centers under 22 and not exactly tearing it up? Let him earn the spot. As long as Danault doesn't get that 5x6 contract, he's an experienced center the Habs badly need. Even if it's on the 3rd line.

What is the last team dominating with 3 centers under 22yo? Pittsburgh with Crosby, Malkin and Staal?
Nothing is given and Poehling is better than he was a year ago (Bouchard is amazing) and also to be fair it should be a duel between Poehling and Vejdemo. Eventually yes it would not surpise me to see Danault sign elsewhere he has not helped his cause last summer with his comments and his play this year don't suggest the habs overpaying him to keep him.

I think Poehling/Vejdemo would replace Danault and Caufield would replace Tatar.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
Nothing is given and Poehling is better than he was a year ago (Bouchard is amazing) and also to be fair it should be a duel between Poehling and Vejdemo. Eventually yes it would not surpise me to see Danault sign elsewhere he has not helped his cause last summer with his comments and his play this year don't suggest the habs overpaying him to keep him.

I think Poehling/Vejdemo would replace Danault and Caufield would replace Tatar.

Don't know about Vejdemo, I clearly see him as a 4C, nothing more. As for Poehling, as good as he is, I don't see the Habs going on the next season with 3 very young centers as their 1-2-3. If Danault doesn't re-sign, I think the Habs trade for or hire an experienced middle-6 C in the offseason to ease Poeling on the wing while he proves he can sustain the NHL play. I know it's patching but I'm tired of seeing them rushing young prospects and failing them.

As for Caufield, if he dominates the AHL, I'm all for giving him a spot at the end of the season or the beginning of the next one.

As you can see, I'm a big fan of dominating before getting promoted.

Reactions: Addik04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad