Speculation: Habs 2019-2020 - RFA/UFA Thread

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I had moderately high hopes for McShane but watching him this year the progression just hasn't been there. It's too bad cause he's got good puck skills and some upside to him but his skating really holds him back. I still agree with the pick though FWIW, you could justify taking a chance on him.

Absolutely, won't hate the pick.. those risks are the ones you want to take.

Unlike Keiran Ruscheinski picks.

Jul 6, 2016
Fonstad in the WHL is having a good season too...

Will these mid rounders play in the NHL someday ?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
We need good AHL players.

There's a limit of players you can sign. We wouldn't sign Fonstad and McShane and it wouldn't change anything.

Matt Bradley had a good season in his signing season....and we didn't sign him.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
here's how the prospects that need to be signed rank in points and ppg this season,

Hillis - 33-12-36-48
Houde - 36-17-28-45
Fonstad - 32-7-36-43
McShane - 33-15-22-37

ranked by ppg,

Hillis - 1.45
Fonstad - 1.34
Houde - 1.25
McShane - 1.12

some notes,

Hillis - needs 1 more goal to be tied for 2nd on the team, he leads the team in assists, his linemate Gogolev is 2nd with 30 and the next highest has 15. Hillis's 36 assists are 10 more then the 3rd leading scorer of the team has points (Eric Uba, 26 pts)

Fonstad - Even though he played in only 66% of Everett's games this season, he leads the team in assists with 29 in 23 games and the next two highest have 23 and 19 while playing in several more games. He has more assists then all but 3 players have points. He's 2 pts back of being tied for 2nd on the team in points. Needs to shoot more though, just 7 goals in 32 games after getting 29 last year. He's clearly more of a playmaker but still you need to pot more then 7.

Houde - Having a breakout year, leads his team in assists and points, 2nd in goals behind his linemate RHP. He has 1 more assist then the 3rd leading scorer has points (Marcotty, 27 pts)

McShane - not having the season we had hoped and he'll need to pick it up a lot if he wants an NHL contract but his numbers in context look a little better when you look at his team. He's currently 2nd on the team across the board, goals, assists and points behind overager Neumann in goals and points and another overager MacLean in assists.

You have to think Hillis is going to be signed no doubt. As for the other 3 it's tough to say.

Houde has made great improvements to his game and it has paid off, his production has taken off but we also have to step back and be weary of the 19 year old season. Just watching him play you can tell he's a lot more involved, skating with his head up making good plays and his release is excellent. His skill level is probably up there with McShane, higher than that of Hillis, Pitlick, Fonstad, Teasdale, Olofsson etc..

Fonstad's production has also taken off since the trade but the issue I have with him is his defensive game, physicality, engaging in one-on-one battles and his shot. He's only got 7 goals. He's an excellent playmaker with great vision but my feeling is he's too much of a premiter player.

McShane is an interesting player because his shot is wicked, IQ and vision is excellent and he's a great distributor but his skating and sometimes work ethic seem to be suspect. He's made significant improvement in his straight line skating stride, he's always had strong edge's, though he doesn't posses breakaway speed. He's also done a much better job of getting to the net mouth where he's been rewarded. His overall strength, specifically the lower body is still below average as he is easily knocked off the puck.

It'll be interesting to see what they do because we may also have Ylönen and Khisamutdinov coming to North America next year in addition to RHP.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You have to think Hillis is going to be signed no doubt. As for the other 3 it's tough to say.

Houde has made great improvements to his game and it has paid off, his production has taken off but we also have to step back and be weary of the 19 year old season. Just watching him play you can tell he's a lot more involved, skating with his head up making good plays and his release is excellent. His skill level is probably up there with McShane, higher than that of Hillis, Pitlick, Fonstad, Teasdale, Olofsson etc..

Fonstad's production has also taken off since the trade but the issue I have with him is his defensive game, physicality, engaging in one-on-one battles and his shot. He's only got 7 goals. He's an excellent playmaker with great vision but my feeling is he's too much of a premiter player.

McShane is an interesting player because his shot is wicked, IQ and vision is excellent and he's a great distributor but his skating and sometimes work ethic seem to be suspect. He's made significant improvement in his straight line skating stride, he's always had strong edge's, though he doesn't posses breakaway speed. He's also done a much better job of getting to the net mouth where he's been rewarded. His overall strength, specifically the lower body is still below average as he is easily knocked off the puck.

It'll be interesting to see what they do because we may also have Ylönen and Khisamutdinov coming to North America next year in addition to RHP.

Yea Hillis is signed 100%, he's just crushing it and plays the game the right way.

Houde I don't agree that he's more skilled then Hillis, I haven't seen a ton of him but I'm not a big fan. I would sign him to an AHL contract but not sure I would give him an NHL one. I know he's skilled or he wouldn't have been a top 10 pick in the Q draft but I real leery of guys that don't do much in the CHL until they are 19.

Fonstad I like but agree that he's a premiter player. I would maybe sign him as I do like the skill level but don't think he would be much more then a solid to very good AHLer as he's just so weak, so easy to push off the puck.

McShane is tough as you point out he's got that shot and the skills are legit. I've never been a big fan due to the work ethic I see on the ice and he's not quick/explosive enough. He's a tough one as I don't think I would sign him but there are enough things in his game to work with if they felt they could get it out of him.

I'm really interested to see what they do with Ylonen, I could see them bringing him over but he's got to get stronger, fill out his frame some.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

I'm really interested to see what they do with Ylonen, I could see them bringing him over but he's got to get stronger, fill out his frame some.

From a contractual standpoint, could Ylonen play in the AHL next year or is it MTL/Finland as the only two options for him?

He said last September at camp that his goal definitely was to make the roster next year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
From a contractual standpoint, could Ylonen play in the AHL next year or is it MTL/Finland as the only two options for him?

He said last September at camp that his goal definitely was to make the roster next year.

He isn't signed anywhere for next year. So as we speak, he will be free to sign here. But even if he signs somewhere, he can still sign with the Habs and have that European clause to where if he doesn't make the Habs by a certain date, he can opt to return to Europe or accept to stay in North America in Laval. It was the case with Jerabek two years ago. He had a European clause but he opted to forego it to stay in North America, even if he was in the AHL at that time.

Vejdemo had signed with Djurgardens and then signed his ELC with Montreal. So he came to North America and started in Laval. I don't know if he had a European clause (according to CapFriendly, he doesn't). But because there is an agreement between the NHL and all European leagues except for the KHL, a player can be signed to a team in Europe and an NHL team at the same time.

I personally think Ylönen will be signed and brought over. When the kid signed to stay with the Pelicans in Liiga last year, he said that he wanted to take another year to develop there and then come here. So I hope he sticks to that plan.

Reactions: Roadhouse

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
He isn't signed anywhere for next year. So as we speak, he will be free to sign here. But even if he signs somewhere, he can still sign with the Habs and have that European clause to where if he doesn't make the Habs by a certain date, he can opt to return to Europe or accept to stay in North America in Laval. It was the case with Jerabek two years ago. He had a European clause but he opted to forego it to stay in North America, even if he was in the AHL at that time.

Vejdemo had signed with Djurgardens and then signed his ELC with Montreal. So he came to North America and started in Laval. I don't know if he had a European clause (according to CapFriendly, he doesn't). But because there is an agreement between the NHL and all European leagues except for the KHL, a player can be signed to a team in Europe and an NHL team at the same time.

I personally think Ylönen will be signed and brought over. When the kid signed to stay with the Pelicans in Liiga last year, he said that he wanted to take another year to develop there and then come here. So I hope he sticks to that plan.
I totally forgot about Ylonen. Anybody following him and can give update on his play and nhl readiness?

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

:hyper:

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007

I believe Romanov will be the only rookie in 2021

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Ylonen can play anywhere outside of the CHL/USHL. So NHL, AHL, Liiga, or any other Euro league are his options most likely. I think it would be very unlikely for him to make the Habs so as long as he's ok with playing in Laval then that's where he should end up. I wouldn't mind if he ends up back in Liiga or even better left for the SHL like Leks did.

Reactions: Roadhouse

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Who all should be joining Montreal or Laval next season from the prospect list?

Romanov
Hillis
McShane?
Fonstad?
Khisamutdinov?
Ylonen?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Romanov, Hillis maybe Harris, hard to say about the others. Ylonen makes sense, maybe Fonstad gets inked.

Don't forget Fairbrother, who will be eligible to play in Laval next year. And RHP.

With the Habs owning their rights for another year, maybe it would be smart if they give both Fairbrother and RHP AHL deals next year and sign them to an ELC the year later. So they save themselves a spot on the 50 next year while also developing them for four years before their ELC is up.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Don't forget Fairbrother, who will be eligible to play in Laval next year. And RHP.

With the Habs owning their rights for another year, maybe it would be smart if they give both Fairbrother and RHP AHL deals next year and sign them to an ELC the year later. So they save themselves a spot on the 50 next year while also developing them for four years before their ELC is up.
That'd be the smart approach since it'd allow us to fit in one more CHL guy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not high on Fonstad but man... 41 pts in 28 WHL games with the Silvertips. Assuming he gets a contract but not sure... we need to be careful with our 50 contract limit.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

yea i've been saying since he was drafted that Fairbrother would be signed and in Laval next year, just forgot him in that post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad