Speculation: Guys you may have hoped were gone.

Skm

May 30, 2008
Edmonton
Honestly not sure how MacT can publicly say that Horcoff needs a fresh start and then bring him back into the locker room at the start of next year. Especially as the captain.

Lets hope he will be able to facilitate a trade this summer, because is it too late to buy him out? Is the deadline to place players on compliance buyout waivers today?

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Honestly not sure how MacT can publicly say that Horcoff needs a fresh start and then bring him back into the locker room at the start of next year. Especially as the captain.

Lets hope he will be able to facilitate a trade this summer, because is it too late to buy him out? Is the deadline to place players on compliance buyout waivers today?

This is what I'm thinking too. Look how bad the Luongo situation is in Vancouver. Now that they traded Schneider after publicly stating Luongo was leaving they have to find a way to kiss and make up. I really don't want that with Horcoff, especially since a buyout isn't at all out of the question. They need to do something soon.

McNutty780

Apr 12, 2011
I would be ecstatic if all 4 of those plugs were off the team.

But I can't see Mac T finding a suitable replacement that make our team better, not worse.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB

Well the one twist seems to be that Horcoff and his agent are out actively pursuing a destination for him. I imagine it's with the directive "if you can find someone to take you for free so we don't have to buy you out, we'll make it happen".

So when Horcoff comes back, it won't be MacT's fault, Horcoff can take responsibility for his situation.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Well the one twist seems to be that Horcoff and his agent are out actively pursuing a destination for him. I imagine it's with the directive "if you can find someone to take you for free so we don't have to buy you out, we'll make it happen".

So when Horcoff comes back, it won't be MacT's fault, Horcoff can take responsibility for his situation.

LOL yeah, not the gms fault for decisions made by the GM.

The convo should have been like this. 'Shawn, we re giving you a couple weeks to find a destination and situation for yourself that is acceptable to us, if you don't find one we are buying you out.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
Just to note, this was also part of the statement MacTavish made about Horcoff/Hemsky:

"Would we welcome those players back if the right circumstance presented itself? Absolutely," added MacTavish. "But I think in talking to both those players, I think the best situation would be to move on."

So as I've said elsewhere, the door is not completely closed on these guys. This isn't a Souray situation. Clearly the desire is to move them, but I don't think the organization is as categorical about that decision as a lot of fans seem to be or seem to think they are.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Just to note, this was also part of the statement MacTavish made about Horcoff/Hemsky:

So as I've said elsewhere, the door is not completely closed on these guys. This isn't a Souray situation. Clearly the desire is to move them, but I don't think the organization is as categorical about that decision as a lot of fans seem to be or seem to think they are.

It will be a 100% epic gm fail if both don't get moved after what he said.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
It will be a 100% epic gm fail if both don't get moved after what he said.

Yes, it may be, but:

a) people should not consider their return to be 100% impossible. It was never stated as such

b) people should definitely realize that a buyout of either guy was always unlikely on MacT's statements

c) people should realize that no timeline for when they would be moved during the offseason was promised. the "deadline", if there is one, based on MacT's statements is training camp. If you have a different deadline, that's one you've created, not one MacT ever "promised"

Ace35

Jul 17, 2007
What if we traded Horcoff for Bertuzzi. Maybe tweak (keep some salary) if necessary.

Gets rid of Horcoff. Bertuzzi only has 1 year at $2mil. He can play 3rd line LW or bump up to 2nd line on occassion. He's a vetran big body who's always played on winning teams.

See ya
Ace

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Ales Hemsky: The laziest player I've ever seen and we need to get rid of him before his toxicity spreads to the kids. Last one on and first one off at every practice and decides to only show up for 10 games a year, floating about the red line doing nothing the rest.

:shakehead

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Gentlemen, all this fussing over Eric Belanger simply must stop: what is the 2nd last name on the following list?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=99026

I really hope tsn made a mistake and this Belanger was an ordinary-course buyout and not a compliance buyout.

It makes no sense to use a compliance buyout on him. Then again, maybe MacT had mentally committed to using a compliance buyout on Horcoff until Nill agreed to that deal. :laugh:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I really hope tsn made a mistake and this Belanger was an ordinary-course buyout and not a compliance buyout.

It makes no sense to use a compliance buyout on him. Then again, maybe MacT had mentally committed to using a compliance buyout on Horcoff until Nill agreed to that deal. :laugh:

I think we'll need to save one next year for David Clarkson

No Good Names Left

Jan 30, 2007
You knew Horcoff and Hemsky weren't getting bought out when Mact said we aren't in a position to get rid of these guys for free.

You know Smytty not getting bought out, just based on principle.

Belanger was hit or miss...There was an inkling when Mact said we needed to get bottom 6 guys that are competitive at both ends of the rink. Makes me think we aren't signing Smithson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad