Speculation: Guys you may have hoped were gone.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
There are a number of players that some of us thought might be bought out, but they're still around on our books. Where do you see these guys next season?

Shawn Horcoff - 2 year 5.5M cap hit
Ales Hemsky - 1 year 5M cap hit
Eric Belanger - 1 year 1.75M cap hit
Ryan Smyth - 1 year 2.25M cap hit

Horcoff At first I thought he'd get bought out and then when I heard that Mac-T gave him permission to talk to other teams that gave me the idea that there's no way he's getting bought out this season. I imagine he'll be our third line center next season. Talk about depressing. Imagine he'd get bought out after next season. 3M compliance buyout for a 5.5M cap hit. can't afford to blow all of that cap spae on him, right?

Hemsky Didn't think he'd get bought out. Kinda under the impression that he'll get traded. hopefully for a third line winger. Might have to pay for some of his salary, but that doesn't matter because his contract is up at the end of the year. Will be surprised if he's in an Oil uniform next season. If he's still with us I can't imagine having him with Horcoff on the third line. Whoever we have on the left wing for that line will feel very out of place.

Belanger I suspect that he'll get waived at the beginning of the season. I really hope that he isn't our forth line center. He was a part of the problem last year IMO.

Smyth Played his best minutes at center and had far too many lousy games. Would be surprised if he got bought out. I think that the team is hoping that he'll just retire at the end of next season so that they can move on.

Your thoughts?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
There are a number of players that some of us thought might be bought out, but they're still around on our books. Where do you see these guys next season?

Shawn Horcoff - 2 year 5.5M cap hit
Ales Hemsky - 1 year 5M cap hit
Eric Belanger - 1 year 1.75M cap hit
Ryan Smyth - 1 year 2.25M cap hit

Horcoff At first I thought he'd get bought out and then when I heard that Mac-T gave him permission to talk to other teams that gave me the idea that there's no way he's getting bought out this season. I imagine he'll be our third line center next season. Talk about depressing. Imagine he'd get bought out after next season. 3M compliance buyout for a 5.5M cap hit. can't afford to blow all of that cap spae on him, right?

Hemsky Didn't think he'd get bought out. Kinda under the impression that he'll get traded. hopefully for a third line winger. Might have to pay for some of his salary, but that doesn't matter because his contract is up at the end of the year. Will be surprised if he's in an Oil uniform next season. If he's still with us I can't imagine having him with Horcoff on the third line. Whoever we have on the left wing for that line will feel very out of place.

Belanger I suspect that he'll get waived at the beginning of the season. I really hope that he isn't our forth line center. He was a part of the problem last year IMO.

Smyth Played his best minutes at center and had far too many lousy games. Would be surprised if he got bought out. I think that the team is hoping that he'll just retire at the end of next season so that they can move on.

Your thoughts?

Honestly, the only I hoped to see go was Belanger.

But then MacT laid out his plan, talked of his bold moves. I started warming up to the idea of turfing Hemsky and Horcoff

As much as Smyth has been useless, he's still a guy who can lead in the dressing room and play 4th line minutes, I don't totally mind him staying.

100% of me wants Belanger waived tomorrow.
90% of me wants Horcoff bought out tomorrow, 10% wants him to stay.
80/20 on Hemsky (100 if Horcoff goes)
60/40 on Smyth with full understanding he's staying

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
time to ditch these guys already the kids arent getting any younger. Who woulda thought MacT would have a hard time getting rid of them after he publicly states he wants them gone?

I see two buyouts, one on horcoff and one on hemsky. I see Smyth sitting in the pressbox and Belanger the only one with 4th line C trade value of any sort.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Eager is likely the only one they'd have to buyout, possibly Belanger.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
I always expected Horcoff and Hemsky to be moved in the 1-2 weeks after free agency starts period.

Why would teams take these guys for assets till they see what they can get in free agency.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Eager is also more likely to be able to fit under the system Eakins will employ, Eager struggled in Krugers system whatever it was and i dont think that is 100% on the player. I fuly expect Eager to be good next season.

Sloth Slothersons*

I wish everyone outside of Hall/RNH/Yakupov/Eberle/J.Schultz/Smid

were gone

Petry and Gagner can stay too I suppose. Paajarvi maybe.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If be fine with Hemsky as the 3rd line RW until the trade deadline. Horcoff and Belanger need to go. Eager I'd give another shot and if he falters just send him back to OKC. Smyth we're stuck with.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
In my opinion, the OP has listed 3 pieces of organizational deadwood, and 1 player - Hemsky - who could be traded if the team agrees to retain a significant percentage of his salary.

Smyth will be back for sure, and Horcoff will likely be back.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Ryan Smyth: Worst player on our team game in game out and probably the worst player in the NHL nuff said. Everything written about the other players here applies to him as well.
Shawn Horcoff: The embodiment of all that is wrong with our team with the lack of effort, compete, and accountability.
Ryan Smyth: One of the most immobile players in the NHL and couldn't win a puck battle to save his life.
Eric Belanger: Soft and an offensive black hole who makes everyone else on the ice worse, literally does not bring anything to this team except faceoffs.
Ryan Smyth: Has probably the lowest IceQ in the NHL, has no clue where to go to get open, has no clue when to make a pass, and kills every offensive opportunity by sending the weakest slapshot in the NHL from 30 feet out into the goalie's chest.
Ales Hemsky: The laziest player I've ever seen and we need to get rid of him before his toxicity spreads to the kids. Last one on and first one off at every practice and decides to only show up for 10 games a year, floating about the red line doing nothing the rest.
Ryan Smyth: Despite killing every offensive chance we have, he might actually cost the team more games defensively than offensively. A consistent feature near the top of the league in giveaways and dumb, selfish, unnecessary penalties.
Ryan Whitney: Team cancer extraordinaire, who like Horcoff/Hemsky/Smyth looks for excuses for his poor play instead of holding himself accountable and improving.

Oh did I mention Ryan Smyth? Seriously I think it's at the point where we should boo him into retirement.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Hemsky will be traded for some B assets.

Horcoff, with a nmc he may not be dealt. If he does get traded we'll eat most of his contract. The fact that this guy was not bought out is just another in a long list of either buddy moves by the owner or massive overvaluation of the player.

Belanger? Well the Oilers don't like him anymore so expect him to be sent to the minors.

ithxan

Dec 21, 2010
Ryan Smyth: Worst player on our team game in game out and probably the worst player in the NHL nuff said. Everything written about the other players here applies to him as well.
Shawn Horcoff: The embodiment of all that is wrong with our team with the lack of effort, compete, and accountability.
Ryan Smyth: One of the most immobile players in the NHL and couldn't win a puck battle to save his life.
Eric Belanger: Soft and an offensive black hole who makes everyone else on the ice worse, literally does not bring anything to this team except faceoffs.
Ryan Smyth: Has probably the lowest IceQ in the NHL, has no clue where to go to get open, has no clue when to make a pass, and kills every offensive opportunity by sending the weakest slapshot in the NHL from 30 feet out into the goalie's chest.
Ales Hemsky: The laziest player I've ever seen and we need to get rid of him before his toxicity spreads to the kids. Last one on and first one off at every practice and decides to only show up for 10 games a year, floating about the red line doing nothing the rest.
Ryan Smyth: Despite killing every offensive chance we have, he might actually cost the team more games defensively than offensively. A consistent feature near the top of the league in giveaways and dumb, selfish, unnecessary penalties.
Ryan Whitney: Team cancer extraordinaire, who like Horcoff/Hemsky/Smyth looks for excuses for his poor play instead of holding himself accountable and improving.

Oh did I mention Ryan Smyth? Seriously I think it's at the point where we should boo him into retirement.

You are the Fox News of Edmonton Oilers opinions. GTFO.

MetaOil1993

Jun 22, 2012
Edmonton
I hope they get rid of Belanger I want him gone! Wouldn't care if they used a regular buyout on him since no one will want himnfor free on waivers.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
I am not totally opposed to keeping Hemsky, If we can get something decent that helps the team then sure trade him.
But what is the point of just getting rid of him for scraps? he is still a useful hockey player, is he the player he was? no but still better than alot of Players i hear him being traded for.

Horcoff and belanger how ever i want no part of. please get rid of them

Smyth is here this season whether you like it or not, and honestly on the 4th line playing limited minutes this is not the worst thing, He is not the worst player in the NHL like some people claim. But i emphasize that he needs to stay on the 4th line no matter what

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I am not totally opposed to keeping Hemsky, If we can get something decent that helps the team then sure trade him.
But what is the point of just getting rid of him for scraps? he is still a useful hockey player, is he the player he was? no but still better than alot of Players i hear him being traded for.

Horcoff and belanger how ever i want no part of. please get rid of them

Smyth is here this season whether you like it or not, and honestly on the 4th line playing limited minutes this is not the worst thing, He is not the worst player in the NHL like some people claim. But i emphasize that he needs to stay on the 4th line no matter what

Smyth was bad, but the severity of that was magnified by Krueger's incompetence last season. If Eakins has half a brain and keeps Smyth in a better position (i.e. doesn't use him to defend a 1 goal lead against the other teams top line) then it shouldn't be quite as bad.

But I still think it would be easy to find an upgrade for the fourth line.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
I want to have Whitney and Belanger replaced with someone capable.

I don't care if Horcoff stays because to be honest he is a good player, its just his contract that isn't good relatively.

I wanted the turnover machine Hemsky dumped to whoever was desperate enough for offense, and as a replacement I wanted a prime age vet brought back

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I think you guys are misinterpreting what MacT is saying when he says, "Horcoff and Hemsky are available for trades".

He could either be talking to other GM's or the players themselves(or both).

If hes talking to the players then it could just be a little GM motivation.

I don't see any reason to skid Hemsky or Horcofff this year.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Smyth was bad, but the severity of that was magnified by Krueger's incompetence last season. If Eakins has half a brain and keeps Smyth in a better position (i.e. doesn't use him to defend a 1 goal lead against the other teams top line) then it shouldn't be quite as bad.

But I still think it would be easy to find an upgrade for the fourth line.

I don't think Smyth is going anywhere. Do you think the Oilers really want to revisit it the trading of Smyth?

If Ryan thinks hes done then he will retire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad