OT: Guys, talk me off the metaphorical ledge here...

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Every where you look on these boards, its littered with trolls, people who laugh at misfortune of others, wish ill on family and friends, post/comment completely absurd things just to spite and create vitrol, and just seek to hate anonymously without consequence.

Doesn't anyone else get exhausted of this? Maybe I'm just soft for the internet. But I feel like 99% of the shit that some people say here for the obvious above reasons wouldn't be said to a stranger/person at work or at a public place. Isn't it getting worse than ever?

Why should I continue posting on HF? Why try and actually discuss hockey with anyone who doesn't agree with you these days cause apparently having a ratinoal discussion with two dissenting opinions is more of a unicorn here than a horse?

Just feeling really lost and hopeless on here atm

*this is in no way a shot at mods either cause I don't know how you can police/read half the shit that's said here and know you actually don't have grounds to remove it for whatever reason.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Every where you look on these boards, its littered with trolls, people who laugh at misfortune of others, wish ill on family and friends, post/comment completely absurd things just to spite and create vitrol, and just seek to hate anonymously without consequence.

Doesn't anyone else get exhausted of this? Maybe I'm just soft for the internet. But I feel like 99% of the shit that some people say here for the obvious above reasons wouldn't be said to a stranger/person at work or at a public place. Isn't it getting worse than ever?

Why should I continue posting on HF? Why try and actually discuss hockey with anyone who doesn't agree with you these days cause apparently having a ratinoal discussion with two dissenting opinions is more of a unicorn here than a horse?

*this is in no way a shot at mods either cause I don't know how you can police/read half the shit that's said here and know you actually don't have grounds to remove it for whatever reason.

Use the ignore button. fixed lol
You'll get lost in the threads but definitely better experience since its almost always the same shitheads

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
If you don't like it on the main boards, just hang out here.

I personally love the back and forth, but I'm also a degenerate that has been in flame wars on forums since the 90s.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Is this about personal attacks between posters? Or like making fun of Tavares owing millions in taxes? :). Or saying Ceci actually sucks at defending (he does!)

The personal stuff I seem to be avoiding for the most part. Some people definitely seemed cool just straight up insulting posters for opinions, but I guess I have built up an ignore list.

Maybe be quicker with the ignore function. There are more than enough posters here that keep things light and stick to opinions about hockey to fill your forum time. There is really nothing you will miss ignoring anyone that gets personal and insulting to other posters.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

lol what a ridiculous post.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
These boards have taken a serious downward spiral over the last 10 years and the last 3 or 4 in particular. It used to be a place where you could legitimately have a reasonable, nuanced discussion and even insiders like Bob McKenzie had accounts. The days of Guy Flaming talking prospects, LMHF posting player analysis post game, Lowetide and PDO discussing analytics are long gone. Nowadays it's full of hot takes and trolls. Hate to see it.

Definitely agree with you OP. Though I will note a lot of this pertains to the mains more than anything

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

We have lost a few good posters over the past few months and I see more leaving. There is a harsh double standards on this site now and I can see my days coming to an end. I lurked for many years before actually joining and am now thinking going back to lurking.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Why do you think I have over 300+ people ignored/blocked? It makes it much more peaceful when you block everyone you can't stand.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
These boards have taken a serious downward spiral over the last 10 years and the last 3 or 4 in particular. It used to be a place where you could legitimately have a reasonable, nuanced discussion and even insiders like Bob McKenzie had accounts. The days of Guy Flaming talking prospects, LMHF posting player analysis post game, Lowetide and PDO discussing analytics are long gone. Nowadays it's full of hot takes and trolls. Hate to see it.

Definitely agree with you OP. Though I will note a lot of this pertains to the mains more than anything

this site broke me. something I thought I would never say.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
this site broke me. something I thought I would never say.
I just stopped taking it seriously. My posts now are random shit posts about bad commercials, shitting on Brett Kissel or generic BS like "f*** our opponent, go Oilers."

I used to actually care to read quality discussions but it's just way too difficult to sift through now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I avoid most of the main boards. I limit who I interact with here and who I have on ignore. All useful.

I don't get AS exhausted because I saw what Twitter, Instagram, Facebook would be the moment they started, and because I understood the teachings of Marshall Mcluhan and extrapolated out what these newer social media would begat. So that I do not participate in those, at all. and never have.

No place is ideal, no site is. But this has been my bowl of porridge for sometime and while I've been rebuked as much as most theres been a lot of good moments here and the board even kept and allowed helpful dialog to continue during pandemic. Even if some of it contentious. It was weird, but wonderful, how this place remained "speakers corner" Thank you specifically @Bryanbryoil for allowing fairly free speech while other sites did not. That was a gift I won't ever forget. When we most needed someone to talk to in times of pandemic isolation hfboards kept that avenue open,

My prescription is Take Aspirin as needed, avoid unneeded vexation, avoid most of main board discussion, avoid Canucks fans, and find people here you can connect with and confer with. My PM box is always open as well.

This is good too:

RIP to my mother who shared this with me while I was a child.

Now people can browbeat me on all the teachings I don't seem to heed. Go! ;)

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I started out on HF many moons ago, but drifted away to smaller private chat boards, as much prefer the the higher quality, lower quantity type of posting. When those went belly up, I migrated back here. I find that you just need to find your niche here, the group of posters that you enjoy 'hanging out with', and find threads that appeal to you. I don't post that often in the GDT's during the game or really ever read them, as they are just too long and are usually just rage fests, which is fine. The post game threads, and some of the other bigger threads are often dominated by 3 or 4 posters who are likely either just trolls, lonely, or just want someone to share their negativity with. It takes some getting used to seeing a lot of ghost posts, but just putting a few high volume posters on ignore makes the experience 90% better. You also have the option to check the box that says 'remove ignored content', and that way they are completely out of sight, out of mind. Also I find some of the smaller threads like the OOT thread is more for me, usually the same good guys with less of the spam posters showing up there. Likely because they don't get much reaction there, as it's a smaller base of posters. In general I come here for a quite break for some entertainment, discussion, sharing of information, etc and have learned over time now to navigate the site to maximize that and minimize the negativity.

Last edited:

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I have 210 posters on ignore and it makes things better.
Wait, why am I reading this, I thought I had you on ignore. ;)

Just learn to laugh at the hot heads and the whiners. This place becomes pretty funny. Throw the obvious trolls on ignore if their trolling gets to you.

Come for the hockey discussion, stay for the memes.
And the Bounce. This place needs more Bounce!

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I started out on HF many moons ago, but drifted away to smaller private chat boards, as much prefer the the higher quality, lower quantity type of posting. When those went belly up, I migrated back here. I find that you just need to find your niche here, the group of posters that you enjoy 'hanging out with', and find threads that appeal to you. I don't post that often in the GDT's during the game or really ever read them, as they are just too long and are usually just rage fests, which is fine. The post game threads, and some of the other bigger threads are often dominated by 3 or 4 posters who are likely either just trolls, lonely, or just want someone to share their negativity with. It takes some getting used to seeing a lot of ghost posts, but just putting a few high volume posters on ignore makes the experience 90% better. You also have the option to check the box that says 'remove ignored content', and that way they are completely out of sight, out of mind. Also I find some of the smaller threads like the OOT thread is more for me, usually the same good guys with less of the spam posters showing up there. Likely because they don't get much reaction there, as it's a smaller base of posters. In general I come here for a quite break for some entertainment, discussion, sharing of information, etc and have learned over time now to navigate the site to maximize that and minimize the negativity.

This lol. After putting a select few on ignore, page count significantly lower for PGT losses but infinitely more enjoyable lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00