Blue Jays Discussion: Guys are getting hurt, but Grichuk is mashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
His command is usually very good.

I hope it’s not injury related because even his fastball looks a little slower than usual.
I wouldn't say it's normally very good. His control is normally very good, but his command is about average. In the minors he usually gets away with less than pinpoint command of the fb due to velocity.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
What would you prefer?

Jays make the 8th seed and face the Yankees in the first round?
You arent guaranteed to win a round but you make the playoffs and take a step forward.​

Or

The Jays get the 3rd overall pick?
You arent guaranteed Leiter or Rocker, possible one falls but the Jays kind of take a step back but land another potential blue chip prospect.​

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
What would you prefer?

You arent guaranteed to win a round but you make the playoffs and take a step forward.​

Or

You arent guaranteed Leiter or Rocker, possible one falls but the Jays kind of take a step back but land another potential blue chip prospect.​
Playoffs. No doubt.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Playoffs and its not remotely close

Watching the Jays playing in this stadium is giving me strong flashbacks to owner mode in MVP '05.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Normal season I go playoffs. With such a short season, I'm less concerned one way or another. 162 games getting the third pick would mean a lot of the young guys having bad year.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Dolis is on the shitlist now. Is it so hard for Montoyo to NOT put in the guy who is one mistake away from imploding?

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Dolis and Panik need to be replaced ASAP, then I’ll be happy, kind of... if it helps you can take Yamaguchi with them

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
What would you prefer?

Or

I'm ok either way.

Reactions: Kurtz

Haringoth

Aug 2, 2019
In a development year, better a game like this where everyone hits and Pearson hopefully learns something. Rather that to no one getting any offense going and Roark or whoever, who don't figure in long term being our best play.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
In a development year, better a game like this where everyone hits and Pearson hopefully learns something. Rather that to no one getting any offense going and Roark or whoever, who don't figure in long term being our best play.

Two guys I'm really interested in this year are Teoscar Hernandez and Gurriel Jr. These two guys aside from the obvious young studs have a shot to stick around beyond 2022 but it's far from guaranteed. Obviously a big difference from a .305 OBP and a .330+ OBP. If Hernandez and Gurriel Jr play well they could stick around as decent bottom of the order bats (6th-8th in the lineup) on contending Jays teams in the future but if they level out at avg .240-250 .310 OBP levels we may be able to find better options down the road. Obviously both guys are unique, Gurriel Jr. looks a little more promising because of the avg but Teo has a chance if he could just maintain a decent OBP. I wish we could have found one Gio Urshella, E.E type diamond in the rough over these years in addition to the farm

Last edited:

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yes montoyo isn't a good in game manager but the main thing we need from him and his staff is to develop the young players into long term pieces. Maybe over time he gets better in game or they simply replace him. At best they were going to be a 500ish team but for me a successful year was getting Hernandez, Gurriel and the kids to establish themselves as impact big leaguers. So far it's largely been positive there.

Can we try to sign Bichette to a 15 year contract yet?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
What would you prefer?

Or

3rd overall. The big picture matters, not the little picture.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'd prefer playoffs. but I'd prefer to not see a 9th or 10th place finish.

For me it's either go for it with the team you have and secure that last spot, or trade away every veteran with value (except Ryu) at the deadline and ensure you get one of the top-5 prospects in the draft.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I'd prefer playoffs. but I'd prefer to not see a 9th or 10th place finish.

For me it's either go for it with the team you have and secure that last spot, or trade away every veteran with value (except Ryu) at the deadline and ensure you get one of the top-5 prospects in the draft.

Do we actually have any veterans with value? Doesn't look like Giles will be back before the trade deadline, and that's pretty much it.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Do we actually have any veterans with value? Doesn't look like Giles will be back before the trade deadline, and that's pretty much it.
Shoemaker and Anderson are the plug and play expiring guys, who might have value if there’s a good offer. Giles was prize. Wonder what happens with him.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Even if he's not back in time, there may still be value there to a contender. Gives them a few months to attempt to re-sign him, and if healthy he would be the best reliever on the market.

Other than him; Roark, Shoemaker, Anderson, Thornton, and Shaw should have some value. I'd explore Bass, Dolis, Cole, Font, Alford, and Panik (lol). I don't think any of these guys have significant value, but they're all non-essential pieces going forward that I'd look to extract some value from. Let's remember that we got Hatch from the Cubs for basically nothing- kind of this FO's specialty.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The Jays are probably much closer to a playoff team (in this year's format) than they are a bottom three team.

Regardless, at this point I think I'll take the experience of a competitive team in a playoff run for the young guys over another high pick, anyway.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Even if he's not back in time, there may still be value there to a contender. Gives them a few months to attempt to re-sign him, and if healthy he would be the best reliever on the market.

Other than him; Roark, Shoemaker, Anderson, Thornton, and Shaw should have some value. I'd explore Bass, Dolis, Cole, Font, Alford, and Panik (lol). I don't think any of these guys have significant value, but they're all non-essential pieces going forward that I'd look to extract some value from. Let's remember that we got Hatch from the Cubs for basically nothing- kind of this FO's specialty.

I don't see it with Giles - remember that we couldn't get anything for him last year because he was injured at the TDL. This year it's even worse - less time left, scarier injury, and he's hitting UFA. We shouldn't expect anything there. Hell, maybe we can get him back on a one-year prove it deal next season, which would be the best outcome for us there.

Teams are going to want guys who are healthy, performing well, and have a history of being solid. From your list, that's basically just Bass (we have no reason to move Thorton, he's got 4 yrs of control).

Given that it's going to be a very strong seller's market this season, we might actually be able to get something good for Bass - but that's about it.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't see it with Giles - remember that we couldn't get anything for him last year because he was injured at the TDL. This year it's even worse - less time left, scarier injury, and he's hitting UFA. We shouldn't expect anything there. Hell, maybe we can get him back on a one-year prove it deal next season, which would be the best outcome for us there.

Teams are going to want guys who are healthy, performing well, and have a history of being solid. From your list, that's basically just Bass (we have no reason to move Thorton, he's got 4 yrs of control).

Given that it's going to be a very strong seller's market this season, we might actually be able to get something good for Bass - but that's about it.

Teams tend to pay way less for non-elite bats than they do for relief arms at the deadline, but if Shaw can bounce back to 2017-18 levels, he's a decent asset to flip.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Should be a sellers market this year with so many teams trying for the expanded playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad