Blue Jays Discussion: Guys are getting hurt, but Grichuk is mashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
This is hindsight, but it is kinda telling that the Rays themselves chose to hire a 37 year old in Kevin Cash, who only had 2 years of experience as a bullpen coach in Cleveland as their manager over Montoyo, who had over 10 years experience in their organization and was tremendously successful at every level of the minor-leagues.

It's also interesting that the Jays went in the opposite direction of recent manager hires, where the focus was on younger, former players (Baldelli, Boone, Kapler, Cora, Beltran, Cash, etc) with perhaps a fresher and different perspective to the game.

Obviously following the trend does not mean it is the best decision, but maybe there is something there that teams have picked up on.
Maybe Russell Martin would be a good fit as manager. Montoyo should be fired after this year assuming we don't make the playoffs.

Reactions: Kurtz

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Martin doesn't have any experience as a bench coach in any capacity. Pass.

I agree there's probably a trend there but even then, most of those guys Epictetus listed had some form of experience;

Baldelli: 3 years as a bench coach for the Rays before Minnesota hired him (another Cash disciple)

Boone: was hired straight out of ESPN's booth

Kapler: Scattered experience as a bench coach for international play/A ball

Cora: Was a bench coach for Houston for like a year or two

Beltran: No managerial experience but lots of people seem to think he was essentially a second manager in the dugout.

Cash: 2 years as a bullpen coach for Cleveland.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to champion a fossil like Showalter or Yost, but i'd rather have a guy that at least has a smidgen of experience before throwing them into the manager role. Especially a guy who is pretty well liked like Martin.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I hate the fact Yost gets so much credit for that Royals team. His team was so well built to beat teams on fundamentals. They had shitloads of speed, a bunch of very good contact hitters and a bullpen so stingy if the Royals went into the 6th inning with a lead they were basically like "lol you lose."

What did Yost do besides call for bunts all postseason?

Bat Alcides Escobar and his sterling sub-.300 OBP leadoff because Gritangibles.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Vladdy does need to tighten up his game in several aspects but Montoyo singling him and Bichette out is so god damn stupid. Vlad is 21 and Bo is 22. I get their pedigree is stupidly high but it doesn't mean either is incapable of making the odd mistake.

I find it hilarious he's throwing his players under the bus when he makes multiple boneheaded decisions on a game to game basis.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Maybe Russell Martin would be a good fit as manager. Montoyo should be fired after this year assuming we don't make the playoffs.

Yea, Russ will probably be a very effective manager at some point.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Vladdy does need to tighten up his game in several aspects but Montoyo singling him and Bichette out is so god damn stupid. Vlad is 21 and Bo is 22. I get their pedigree is stupidly high but it doesn't mean either is incapable of making the odd mistake.

I find it hilarious he's throwing his players under the bus when he makes multiple boneheaded decisions on a game to game basis.

From Montoyo's perspective it's stupid because if you piss of Bo and Vlad the team isn't getting rid of those two.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Why is Shaw batting 3rd?

I have a feeling it's less to do with Shaw (unless Montoyo is awestruck by his near HR from last game and is going to play it up as a splits-based decision as well) and more about a pointless and misguided belief that if he shuffles Vlad further down the lineup it'll "take the pressure off" him and inspire him to hit better (and maybe Gurriel is dragged along because Vlad has said he likes hitting behind Gurriel which has unfortunately tethered him to Guerrero no matter what happens)

As silly as it is, this lineup is at least marginally more defensible than Teoscar being 8th last night. Though I mean that as about as backhanded of a compliment as I can possibly make it.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Shaw can at least hit for power, or at least he could when he was with the Brewers

Surprised he didn't put Drury in the 3 spot.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Biggio
Bichette
Gurriel Jr.
Hernandez
Guerrero Jr
Grichuck
Shaw
Tellez
Jansen

that would be my lineup if it were me

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Biggio
Bichette
Gurriel Jr.
Hernandez
Guerrero Jr
Grichuck
Shaw
Tellez
Jansen

that would be my lineup if it were me

CharlieMontoyoSpeaker.jpg

"I disagree."

Reactions: Puckstuff

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The Blue Jays know what’s wrong with Vlad Guerrero. Fixing it is just a matter of time, and confidence | The Star

Guerrero’s biggest issue continues to be hitting too many balls on the ground. Like last year, he’s making hard contact but he’s not doing much with it. In 2019, Guerrero hit 50.4 per cent of balls put into play on the ground with an average launch angle of 6.7 degrees. He entered play on Saturday with a 60.6 per cent ground-ball rate and an even lower 6.5-degree launch angle. The line-drive rate dropped by four per cent while the fly-ball mark fell by almost eight year over year.

That’s not the trajectory Toronto had been hoping for after the coaching staff preached bat path and approach throughout the second half of last year. There have been glimpses, such as last August when Guerrero hit .314 with a .977 OPS in 25 games, but overall the young phenom has yet to put everything together for an extended stretch.

In layman’s terms, Guerrero is hitting the top of the baseball far too often. Guerrero has used the barrel of his bat 6.1 per cent of the time in 2020 vs. 7.7 per cent from a year ago. He’s frequently driving the ball into the ground by hitting the upper part of the baseball 48.5 per cent of the time, compared to 39.7 per cent in 2019.

The most troubling part, especially following an off-season when the club claimed Guerrero rededicated himself to a strict diet and fitness routine, is the numbers are trending in the wrong direction. It would be ill-advised to bet against a guy with as much natural talent as Guerrero, but last year’s advanced stats left a lot of room for improvement. Fundamental changes were needed not only to his workout schedule and diet, but his swing. So far, the adjustments have yet to take hold.

Opposing pitchers have used a pretty similar approach to Guerrero since his arrival in the big leagues. Last year, Guerrero saw 55.7 per cent fastballs, 33.7 per cent breaking balls (curveball, slider, etc.) and 10.6 per cent off-speed pitches (changeup, splitter, etc.). This year there has been 64.5 per cent fastballs, 23.7 per cent breaking balls and 11.8 per cent off-speed.

There are differences between the two years, but not big ones. Instead, it’s what Guerrero is doing with those pitches that stands out. Through 11 games this season, Guerrero was batting just .208 with a .292 slugging percentage, no home runs and two doubles on fastballs. Compare that to last year when he was batting .306 with a .476 slugging percentage and 21 extra-base hits on the same pitch.

Guerrero’s performance over the last year is even more disappointing when his numbers are put alongside those of his star peers. Atlanta Braves outfielder Ronald Acuna Jr. broke into the league at 20 years old and posted 4.2 wins above replacement value in his first year. By year two, his WAR soared to 5.7 after 41 homers, 101 RBIs with 37 stolen bases.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario

I don't think Martin is officially retired yet. I remember hearing he received some offers from teams to play but decided to sit out for family reasons. So maybe he tries to play next year and if no to playing, he may choose to step away from the game for a bit and spend with time with family before returning in any coaching capacity. I think he's got two young kids. But if he does jump straight into coaching, it becomes a question of is he better served in some kind of baseball related role first, whether it'd be broadcasting or part of a coaching staff.

In my view, he just doesn't line up with the Jays timeline.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't know... putting Teoscar down to the 8 spot was unbelievably stupid and the justification for it was even worse, but complaining about yesterday's lineup seems like nitpicking. If you move Shaw down two spots (behind Teoscar and Gurriel) then it's perfectly fine.

As for moving Vlad down a bit to "get him going" or "take the pressure off" or whatever, every manager does that kind of stuff. Gibby did it all the time, and I loved his in-game management.

The only Montoyo-related issue I had with yesterday's game was going to Font instead of straight to Kay. Other than that there shouldn't be much to complain about, and I think most of the complaints are based on the built up frustration of all the dumb things Montoyo has done so far this year.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I like to keep in ind it's 12 games into a delayed season with a much shortened training camp, only a couple of exhibition games, and all games have been on the road .. Not to mention a 4-day break because one series was postponed

Criticism on the young guys like Vlad is a bit harsh IMO

Reactions: hockeywiz542

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
The one thing I thought would be a joke is out strong point.. the bullpen. Minus Font it’s been incredible

The offense on the other hand.. utter junk.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
A Swing and a Belt with Dan Shulman | Buffalo Bound

August 7, 2020

So you’re trying to put together a baseball team for a season in which you think your team has a chance to compete; really make some noise. Just one problem… you don’t have a place to play.

COVID-19 border restrictions have forced the Blue Jays out of Canada, so their temporary home will be their AAA affiliate’s field in Buffalo. How well can it work out? And can you turn it into a competitive advantage? Jays GM Ross Atkins joins the show to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad