Blue Jays Discussion: Guys are getting hurt, but Grichuk is mashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You don't know what you have in Alford any more than you know what you have in Fisher. They're the same thing.

Maybe, although Fisher has more potential power I think. And if you're going to experiment with toolsy players with big holes in their swing, the guy with more power is probably a better bet.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I think you already know what you have with Alford, more or less. He is a non-tender candidate at this point. I agree with playing Fisher and Espinal.

I'm not saying you play Biggio in the OF every game. Just the odd game if you have to because of positional matchups.

I dont know if you do know what you have in Alford yet. He had 30 PAs in 2019 and 21 in 2018, if do know that you have nothing in him then i would non tender him and give someone like Wall a chance.

With no options this is the year im playing him as much as i possibly can. I personally didnt think Tellez would make the team so i would have had Gurriel in LF, Grichuk in RF and one of Alford and Fisher in CF with Hernedez DHing and Vladdy and Shaw at the corners. Tellez playing makes it a little more difficult to play Fisher/Alford. Tellez's approach has impressed me thus far i might say.

I just dont like playing Biggio in the OF where is defense is terrible to give 15 ABs to Panik at 2B with his 41 wRC+ and no long term future with the club or Espinal 11 ABs who's value come from playing SS but looks out matched at the plate.

Biggio has his troubles at 2B too where he needs to work on building reps with his double play partner in Bo. Im a strong believer in playing players at the position they are most comfortable with, learn and develop comfort-ability there and let your bench players move around when you need them. With the expanded roster we dont need to have guys be that versatile which can take away from their value as much as it can add if they cant play those positions well. Especially considering most of the team is very young, they arent really comfortable in their "home" positions as yet.

Reactions: Kurtz and Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I dont know if you do know what you have in Alford yet. He had 30 PAs in 2019 and 21 in 2018, if do know that you have nothing in him then i would non tender him and give someone like Wall a chance.

With no options this is the year im playing him as much as i possibly can. I personally didnt think Tellez would make the team so i would have had Gurriel in LF, Grichuk in RF and one of Alford and Fisher in CF with Hernedez DHing and Vladdy and Shaw at the corners. Tellez playing makes it a little more difficult to play Fisher/Alford. Tellez's approach has impressed me thus far i might say.

I just dont like playing Biggio in the OF where is defense is terrible to giver 15 AB to Panik at 2B with his 41 wRC+ and no long term future with the club or Espinal 11 ABs who's value come from playing SS but looks out matched at the plate.

Biggio has his troubles at 2B too where he needs to work on building reps with his double play partner in Bo. Im a strong believer in playing players at the position they are most comfortable with, learn and develop comfort-ability there and let your bench players move around when you need them. With the expanded roster we dont need to have guys be that versatile which can take away from their value as much as it can add if they cant play those positions well.

Fair. I'm probably guilty of writing Alford off but I just don't see much there.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Fair. I'm probably guilty of writing Alford off but I just don't see much there.

I dont blame you, you hasnt showed much promise but in a season like this, cant hurt to play him in my eyes especially facing a lefty when the alternative is Fisher or Biggio in RF with Panik/Espinal at 2B.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Urshela continuing his fantastic 2019 with an even better 2020 (yes small sample size), but if he keeps this up, this is going to hurt for us.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Lewis, Robert lead Rookie Power Rankings

3. Nate Pearson, RHP, Blue Jays (No. 1/MLB No. 8)
After being assigned to Toronto’s Opening Day taxi squad, Pearson was called up for his big league debut on July 29 and delivered five scoreless innings of two-hit ball against the reigning World Series champion Nationals. He struck out five and walked two, throwing 48 of 75 pitches for strikes. The 6-foot-6 righty’s premium, front-of-the-rotation stuff was on full display in the outing, as he dialed up his heater to 99 mph, snapped off some truly nasty sliders and effectively worked in his curveball and changeup. It was everything. He’s slated to make his next start on Tuesday in a road matchup against the Braves.

6. Jordan Romano, RHP, Blue Jays (No. 30)
A former starter and Rule 5 pick who assumed a bullpen role upon being returned to the Blue Jays, Romano pitched to mixed results (7.63 ERA) while making 17 appearances out of Toronto’s bullpen in 2019 but has been nearly untouchable early this season thanks to an uptick in velocity and a more refined pitch mix. He posted six strikeouts and two walks and has yet to give up a hit in four relief appearances, one of which netted the right-hander his first career win.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Honestly, we need a clean up hitter bad. I think pitching depth is there with guys coming up but we need a clean up middle of the order bat.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Urshela continuing his fantastic 2019 with an even better 2020 (yes small sample size), but if he keeps this up, this is going to hurt for us.
Eh how much did Bautista becoming a top hitter in baseball hurt Pittsburgh? I mean it sucks obviously to have a guy that was awful move on and have something click but it is baseball it happens.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Eh how much did Bautista becoming a top hitter in baseball hurt Pittsburgh? I mean it sucks obviously to have a guy that was awful move on and have something click but it is baseball it happens.

Also let's not ignore the fact Pittsburgh was far from the only team to discard Bautista. Baltimore, KC and Tampa all tossed him away without even a second thought.

Far from the norm.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Also let's not ignore the fact Pittsburgh was far from the only team to discard Bautista. Baltimore, KC and Tampa all tossed him away without even a second thought.

Far from the norm.
Bautista was a far better hitter his two years before his big breakout then Urshella was the two years before he broke out last year. Obviously situations like Bautista and Gio are rare which is why I don't think you can blame teams that give up on guys that are absolutely awful for them and just happen to click on another stop along the way. It just kind of happens sometimes.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Fried left that shit hanging over the plate.

No offense to Alford but Fried is lucky that wasn't a bat with a bit more pop.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I'm actually a little surprised (and impressed) that there hasn't been much "Fire Shapiro!" type response about Urshela. I'm glad most people seem to recognize that NO ONE saw this coming.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
A difficult but a play a 3B can make 9/10 but we have a 2B playing 3B... just baffles my mind. Stop playing players at positions they dont know how to play.

Reactions: Discoverer

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
A difficult but a play a 3B can make 9/10 but we have a 2B playing 3B... just baffles my mind. Stop playing players at positions they dont know how to play.

Yeah, Drury looks really good at 3B and if he's there it's an easy double play.

And as I write this, Panik gets eaten up by another grounder.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Yeah, Drury looks really good at 3B and if he's there it's an easy double play.

And as I write this, Panik gets eaten up by another grounder.

Just baffling. I dont know why Panik is playing so much.

Puzzling that we used two pitchers in Kay and Waguespack that can go multiple innings tonight. Would think we would save one in case Ryu or Pearson have a rough start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad