Player Discussion Gustav Olofsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The one-way aspect suggests that GMCF is still looking at trade offers for our other defensemen...

Completely unrelated. He was going to get a one way deal anyway. He's waiver eligible now and there was no chance in hell they were going to even attempt sending him through waivers.

One-way has more to do with money than waiver eligibility. It is absolutely related.

It helps to read the post being responded to. Completely unrelated to any chances of a trade of a defenseman.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I think that's Plan B, but I still think Plan A is replacing Scandella with Olofsson.

Isn't Folin an UFA on July 1st, and can negotiate with other teams right now?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just thinking it's kind of weird that Folin hasn't been signed yet.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Isn't Folin an UFA on July 1st, and can negotiate with other teams right now?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just thinking it's kind of weird that Folin hasn't been signed yet.

They didn't qualify him because they wanted Folin on a 2 way contract, he is arbitration eligible and likely would have been awarded a 1 way contract in arbitration, so that's why they didn't qualify him.

They qualify, he elects arbitration and gets a 1 way deal.

Instead, they'll let him go as a UFA and shop for someone else.

Russo explained it all in his blog.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
They didn't qualify him because they wanted Folin on a 2 way contract, he is arbitration eligible and likely would have been awarded a 1 way contract in arbitration, so that's why they didn't qualify him.

They qualify, he elects arbitration and gets a 1 way deal.

Instead, they'll let him go as a UFA and shop for someone else.

Russo explained it all in his blog.
Fair enough, thanks.

Double

Feb 14, 2008
File TaLoN as a dude you can take at face value because he clearly knows that of which he speaks.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
What's his story? I just watched his 'Becoming Wild' and he was raised in America (CO).

Was his dad in the NHL? Any reason why he was raised here?

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Nah I think it said he moved here when he was a kid, hence why he speaks perfect English. I'm just curious why his parents moved him and his brothers here so early

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I watched the video. He lived in Austria, played as a kid in NA hockey and Sweden. So he got around. So he didn't move to Colorado to play hockey, that's for sure.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seems to be playing OK? Don't notice him too much, which is probably a good thing. Coaching staff must be happy, as Reilly can't get a sniff of ice time.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Seems to be playing OK? Don't notice him too much, which is probably a good thing. Coaching staff must be happy, as Reilly can't get a sniff of ice time.
I've felt for a few games now that a tacit decision has been made regarding Olofsson and Reilly: Olofsson will be staying and Reilly will be traded. I can see next year's blueline looking something like:

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Olofsson - Murphy/Prosser

Prosser/Murphy

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

He's actually low key kind of crushing it advanced stats-wise. Mostly on the D side of the game. His 55 xGF% is nestled right in between Spurgeon's 57% and Suter's 54%. He's suppressing shots like a mad-man, with 55 CA/60, by far the best rate on the team. His 24.65 SCA/60 narrowly edges out Spurgeon and is the best on the team. Spurgeon narrowly edges him on high danger chances against.

He's got relatively favorable usage compared to the team, but still sub 50% O zone starts.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't have a problem with his game. It's not great, but he's not getting killed in any areas. Lots of room to improve. I'd like to see him put some muscle on his frame this offseason. He looks like a beanpole on the ice still.

I'd like to see the Wild keep him over Reilly on the bottom pair. Olofsson/Murphy could be a quality bottom pair.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If one of Reilly or Olofsson could do a good job of playing RD then they'd both get more TOI.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If one of Reilly or Olofsson could do a good job of playing RD then they'd both get more TOI.

I'd rather have Murphy playing RD than either Reilly/Olofsson. I feel more comfortable with Olofsson playing over Reilly most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad