Recalled/Assigned: Gustav Olofsson

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Thought he looked excellent last season when he was recalled... Smart, composed, and made some nice passes.

As I mentioned in a different thread, I think he'll leap-frog Reilly on the totem pole soon.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought he always had game, but his body wouldn't cooperate. Wonder if he can play RD?

He, Brodin, and Folin can form a posse and go kick some Finnish ass in the dressing room!

Just no touching of the hair, and face.

Important not to expect too much from him at first. He is going to make mistakes. My hope is that he can play NHL level D, and not be a complete bozo with the puck.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I thought he always had game, but his body wouldn't cooperate. Wonder if he can play RD?

He, Brodin, and Folin can form a posse and go kick some Finnish ass in the dressing room!

Just no touching of the hair, and face.

Important not to expect too much from him at first. He is going to make mistakes. My hope is that he can play NHL level D, and not be a complete bozo with the puck.

Think it will be Brodin playing RD with Olofsson. He and Dumba do not work.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Think it will be Brodin playing RD with Olofsson. He and Dumba do not work.

Agreed. Weird that it doesn't because they seem to have complimentary skills and are buds off the ice. I truly think that Suter is the best partner for Dumba. We know that S & S will be fine together.

Swedish Twin Towers, then?

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Thought he looked excellent last season when he was recalled... Smart, composed, and made some nice passes.

As I mentioned in a different thread, I think he'll leap-frog Reilly on the totem pole soon.

This is what I'm expecting as well. I'm fairly disappointed in Reilly this season, I was expecting him to be good enough to stay in the NHL roster.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Part of the reason that Reilly has gone down is because he can be sent down w/o going through waivers. I don't think he has been all that bad, just he and Dumba together is kind of iffy, though kind of fun, also. I would bet that both Reilly and Wild are ready for full time NHL duty by this time next year, if not sooner.

Whether or not we have a spot for them is another issue.

Last edited:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Part of the reason that Reilly has gone down is because he can be sent down w/o going through waivers. I don't think he has been all that bad, just he and Dumba together is kind of iffy, though kind of fun, also.

Yeah, you may be right.

Also, luckily we have a ridiculously deep defense.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
This is what I'm expecting as well. I'm fairly disappointed in Reilly this season, I was expecting him to be good enough to stay in the NHL roster.

I think reilly has been better than Dumba and Prosser for sure, and maybe Folin(who I think has had a pretty good season vs preseason expectations).

He's just a victim of the numbers game and his waiver exemption.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I suspect we'll see Ollofsson for awhile in hopes of keeping them both waiver exempt through next season. Reilly would burn through his exemption in no time if we use him whenever we were down a man. Gustav is in no danger of burning his exemption.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is Olofsson eligible for the expansion draft? This is his fourth year in the Iowa roster, but he only played a total of 8 games in the first two years....don't know if there is a minimum amount of games that need to be played before it's considered a season.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I suspect we'll see Ollofsson for awhile in hopes of keeping them both waiver exempt through next season. Reilly would burn through his exemption in no time if we use him whenever we were down a man. Gustav is in no danger of burning his exemption.

They are both on the final year of their ELC's. The ELC is what makes them waivers exempt, same reason they'll been calling Bertschy up so much.

Graovac (5 NHL games prior to the season start) had to pass through waivers at the end of camp because he's not on an ELC anymore. Dumba last season could have been sent to Iowa after game 81 without waivers and had 150 NHL games played.

A two-way contract needs waivers to be sent to the AHL, but the salary is different. Schroeder gets $650k ($3,611 per day) when he's in the NHL, but only $275k ($1,528 per day) in the AHL. The AHL salary means nothing for the NHL club's cap hit, but it is the real money Schroeder gets payed.

A one-way contract means the player gets payed the same no matter if he's NHL or AHL.

The NHL cap hit only comes into play for players making over $950k. Hypothetically, Haula ($1m/year) gets sent to Iowa (clears waivers). He'd have a $50k cap hit to the NHL club. Glass for the NYR, and Bickell for the Hawks last year are instances of this actually happening.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Is Olofsson eligible for the expansion draft? This is his fourth year in the Iowa roster, but he only played a total of 8 games in the first two years....don't know if there is a minimum amount of games that need to be played before it's considered a season.

According to Capfriendly he's in the 3rd year of his ELC, so I think he'd be considered a 3rd year professional and would not be exempt.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
They are both on the final year of their ELC's. The ELC is what makes them waivers exempt, same reason they'll been calling Bertschy up so much.

Graovac (5 NHL games prior to the season start) had to pass through waivers at the end of camp because he's not on an ELC anymore. Dumba last season could have been sent to Iowa after game 81 without waivers and had 150 NHL games played.

A two-way contract needs waivers to be sent to the AHL, but the salary is different. Schroeder gets $650k ($3,611 per day) when he's in the NHL, but only $275k ($1,528 per day) in the AHL. The AHL salary means nothing for the NHL club's cap hit, but it is the real money Schroeder gets payed.

A one-way contract means the player gets payed the same no matter if he's NHL or AHL.

The NHL cap hit only comes into play for players making over $950k. Hypothetically, Haula ($1m/year) gets sent to Iowa (clears waivers). He'd have a $50k cap hit to the NHL club. Glass for the NYR, and Bickell for the Hawks last year are instances of this actually happening.

ELC doesn't technically have anything to do with if they are waiver exempt or not. You can be waiver exempt and not on an ELC anymore. If you sign an ELC at 18 you are no longer exempt after 160 NHL games, or 5 years from signing the contract, whichever comes first. You could sign an ELC (3 years), spend all 3 years in the AHL, and still be waiver-exempt on your next contract due to not having enough years or games.

Graovac signed a contract at 20, so for him it was 3 years or 160 games until he wasn't waiver-exempt. His ELC expiring just happened to coincide with the end of his waiver eligibility.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

According the the cap friendly expansion tool he's eligible to be taken. He is officially in his 3rd pro season, injuries have really skewed his games played. It's a lot like NCAA sports eligibility (I guess), where a guy could play 1 down (in football) in a season and it burns that year's eligibility.

The games played comes into effect for the players eligible for a contract slide (Draisaitl). The whole process there is confusing and I don't understand it enough to make heads or tails.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
ELC doesn't technically have anything to do with if they are waiver exempt or not. You can be waiver exempt and not on an ELC anymore. If you sign an ELC at 18 you are no longer exempt after 160 NHL games, or 5 years from signing the contract, whichever comes first. You could sign an ELC (3 years), spend all 3 years in the AHL, and still be waiver-exempt on your next contract due to not having enough years or games.

Graovac signed a contract at 20, so for him it was 3 years or 160 games until he wasn't waiver-exempt. His ELC expiring just happened to coincide with the end of his waiver eligibility.

You're correct, I was mistaken on a couple things. The rules with Jr's, loans, and AHL mess me up for 18/19 yo. :cry:

Once Reilly hits 70 NHL games (he's at 38) played he's not waiver exempt anymore.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

This again...

ELC is absolutely irrelevant to whether or not someone requires waivers. You can be on a one way deal and be exempt(admittedly this would be rare) or an ELC and require them. They are completely different sections of the CBA.

Here is a good 101 on Waivers. Neither will eclipse years of experience by next season, Reilly has a shot to hit 70 or 80 games (I dont feel like checking his Bday, but it's one of those) and making him require waivers.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

He's for sure eligible, and if we weren't needing to expose so many good defensemen, he would be attractive Vegas due to his waiver exemption. Few quality players will be available that have that exemption and legit NHL future. And only 23 of the 30 players they need to select can make the NHL team.

I keep thinking Fletcher may try send him to Vegas in exchange for them taking Zucker/Granlund. They'd get a quality D prospect for their system(which they need to build from scratch), and a top 9 forward while we keep our NHL d core together.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, in the unlikely scenario that Olofsson comes up and is playing well enough to allow us to trade two Dmen for forward help, we will still be in danger of losing him, AND having no defensive depth behind him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He's for sure eligible, and if we weren't needing to expose so many good defensemen, he would be attractive Vegas due to his waiver exemption. Few quality players will be available that have that exemption and legit NHL future. And only 23 of the 30 players they need to select can make the NHL team.

I keep thinking Fletcher may try send him to Vegas in exchange for them taking Zucker/Granlund. They'd get a quality D prospect for their system(which they need to build from scratch), and a top 9 forward while we keep our NHL d core together.

I think there are too many red flags with Olofsson being injured the last couple of years for Vegas to want to take a chance with him over the other players Minny could add as a bribe.

It would be different if he were on a team, like the Sabres, who have can protect everyone with any value. He might end up being the outright pick from there.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
So, in the unlikely scenario that Olofsson comes up and is playing well enough to allow us to trade two Dmen for forward help, we will still be in danger of losing him, AND having no defensive depth behind him.

... But will we REALLY, though?

I'd be surprised if Vegas even mentions Olofsson's name during closed door meetings. He's not even on the radar compared to the other players we're leaving exposed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad