Injury Report: Gustav Nyquist

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I thought he just took a high stick. That guy is made of glass.

No elbow to the chops, should have been called and he was rightly fuming. He gets hurt but made of glass is probably a step too far, especially with Helm doing what he has been doing for two years running. I don't really make comments on guys being made of glass when it comes to concussion, there is virtually nothing they can do to help that situation.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Darren Helm gets injured, but it's expected with his style.. I wouldn't say he's made of glass either.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
So he's a less defensive and slightly slower Filppula basically? Well the Wings version of Filppula, not the Tamp Bay version.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He has, but he's just a rookie. Rookies are gonna slump, especially undersized ones. Gus has looked physically outmatched lately.

I think you're basing that opinion too much on the last game where he played 23 minutes after back to back games, and was playing one of the most physical teams there is.

As a whole, I don't think he's been getting outmatched physically lately. Last game I thought he was, and I thought it was due large in part to fatigue, and playing against LA.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think he plays like Filppula at all. Gus's game right now is about forechecking like a beast and winning battles. Filppula never did that.

I actually think he's very simar to Filppula. Good skater, good passer, good stick handler. Similar size. Good two way player.

They are both pass first players, and don't shoot enough, and play too much on the perimeter at times.

Honestly Id say they are very similar.

Edit: I'm talking about Filppula playing wing, not center. FYI.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So he's a less defensive and slightly slower Filppula basically? Well the Wings version of Filppula, not the Tamp Bay version.

Well Filppula is done developing, Nyquist is not.

Also I'm not sure Filppula is any faster than Nyquist.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I actually think he's very simar to Filppula. Good skater, good passer, good stick handler. Similar size. Good two way player.

They are both pass first players, and don't shoot enough, and play too much on the perimeter at times.

Honestly Id say they are very similar.

Edit: I'm talking about Filppula playing wing, not center. FYI.

Gotta disagree here. While Nyquist isn't a shoot first guy, he certainly isn't a pass first guy either. That's one of the things that impressed him about me early on. He's also not afraid to take a one-timer. He's fourth on the team in shots per game behind Zetternberg, Datsyuk, and Franzen. (He also ranks around 85 in forwards for shots per game, which suggests he'd be top 3-4 among forwards on any team in the league, not just the Wings).

He also doesn't play too much on the perimeter. If anything, he plays too much in traffic for a small rookie that still needs to learn how to protect the puck against bigger guys.

I think everyone on this board needs to chill out with respect to Tatar, Nyquist, and Smith. They've been around forever, but that doesn't mean they have tons of NHL experience. Everyone is nitpicking these guys to death as though they need to vastly change their game when in reality, the only thing these guys need is to keep logging minutes.

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
There's nothing wrong with comparing Gus to Filppula. Filppula is a damn fine player. They are very similar, which isn't a bad thing, I wish we still had Flip.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think you're basing that opinion too much on the last game where he played 23 minutes after back to back games, and was playing one of the most physical teams there is.

As a whole, I don't think he's been getting outmatched physically lately. Last game I thought he was, and I thought it was due large in part to fatigue, and playing against LA.
I think that game was the first time I'd seen him outmatched in terms of fatigue, but he's regularly outmatched in terms of strength. I actually think he plays in traffic a little too much for the sort of player he is right now. For instance, he regularly plays in the slot on powerplays and goes to the net at even strength, but he doesn't have the capability right now to make big plays there. He can't move coverage because he can't move the defensemen, really.

Him being used in that way (I assume it's Babcock telling him to do it) is actually one of my pet peeves. He'd be far more useful on the wall on the PP, and at ES it should be Abby or somebody else in front of the net.

I still don't think Gus is all that similar to Filppula, though, in the sense that you could never confuse the two if they were on the same team. Filppula is much more two-way minded and faster than Gus, but lacks a bit of Gus's ability to start and stop. I also don't think Fil ever battled as hard as Gus does. Plus, Gus doesn't seem to have that annoying habit of breaking the zone and losing the puck on the half wall over and over again...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There's nothing wrong with comparing Gus to Filppula. Filppula is a damn fine player. They are very similar, which isn't a bad thing, I wish we still had Flip.

Filppula scored 36 (19+17) points in 78 games at age what Nyquist is now.
0.461 points per game.

Nyquist has scored 10 (5+5) points in 21 games at this season.
0.476 points per game.

They are were near of each other.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
Since we do not have a stickied Injury Report thread and with half the damn roster tabled, any updates on Helm, Alfie, Franzen, Datsyuk, Ericsson? We know Weiss had surgery and is out until Feb.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Since we do not have a stickied Injury Report thread and with half the damn roster tabled, any updates on Helm, Alfie, Franzen, Datsyuk, Ericsson? We know Weiss had surgery and is out until Feb.

None are expected to play today. There really hasn't been much said.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 22h
Babcock said none of the injured forwards (Datsyuk, Franzen, Helm and Alfredsson) will play tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad