Value of: Gustafsson and Saad to Pittsburgh

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Is his value really as a 60 point guy when he had 30 points in his previous 76 NHL games?

his 10.6 shooting % isn't sustainable so I would say nope.

he plays sheltered MPG but heck if he starts 2019-20 strong the Hawks should try to sell high on him but his value isn't as a top 10, 20 or even top 30 Dman.

Literally no one said that about the bolded

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
@wetcoast

Regardless he scored 60 points with 17 goals last year. That's his value. Trade wise. Contract extension wise. That's what both sides will point to. Right or wrong. If the hawks decided to take offers on him trade wise this offseason that's what they will point to. You can argue it and probably aren't off base but that's what his value is right now.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Literally no one said that about the bolded

@wetcoast

Regardless he scored 60 points with 17 goals last year. That's his value. Trade wise. Contract extension wise. That's what both sides will point to. Right or wrong. If the hawks decided to take offers on him trade wise this offseason that's what they will point to. You can argue it and probably aren't off base but that's what his value is right now.

So he is basically a guy who scored 60 points (which is different than a 60 point Dman) but isn't a top 30 Dman in the NHL, what is that worth exactly with him being a year away from UFA status?

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I said Hyman bring enough to the table for his salary hit and Gustafsson is expendable in Chicago and has just the one year to show.

Is it a fluke or enough to overcome his defensive problems?

I just don't see his value as a 60 point Dman, there would be way more interest in Barrie who has a much better track record.

• Sure in a no cap world given the choice, pretty sure everyone would pick Barrie. But in the Leafs real world where they are at like 92-93 in cap commitment once they sign Marner/Kapanen/Johnsson to their extensions, a guys like GUS at 4.3 million per less a year is WAY more of a fit then Barrie and add in potentially taking Horton's deal off their books and the value of Gus should be pretty apparent. Again, in that scenario the Leafs have Marleau and his 6.25 coming off the books to try to extend Gus and reup Muzzin next Summer.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
@wetcoast

Argue all you want, the great thing is we don't have to agree on him. But regardless he is a 60 point dman. Played there all year long.
Plays both sides also.
Like I keep saying you don't have to like the ask or value of. But that's
what the hawks will ask for.
Once again doesn't mean they will get it. Have a good one.

Reactions: LDF and JLarucci23

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Not sure what they would want from Pittsburgh. They might be looking for a young goaltender, depending on they feel about Delia. Otherwise, probably a cost controlled forward who can contribute now. Don't think Kessel is a fit since they have to re-sign The Cat and Strome next year.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hard to see a trade involving these players. Crosby and Malkin are obviously out of the question, what else is there? A big no to Kessel, as I would rather have Gus and Saad, Guentzel? Don't see PIT doing that.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Hard to see a trade involving these players. Crosby and Malkin are obviously out of the question, what else is there? A big no to Kessel, as I would rather have Gus and Saad, Guentzel? Don't see PIT doing that.
you are right and what they do have, i guess it would not be cost effective to trade for.

forwards ~~~ PATRIC HÖRNQVIST or NICK BJUGSTAD or

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
In all honesty Pittsburgh has nothing of value to offer in return.

Gustafson if moved , I could see a scenario of a trade between Toronto and Chicago

Either for kap or Nylander.

Aiming unrealistically high for someone who's only had one productive season and who's 27 years old.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Toronto will be in a much better spot for cap next Summer once every major piece they need to sign gets resolved this Summer (Marner/Kapanen/Johnsson). If you move Kapanen and Horton for Gus and sort out the rest of the extensions, next Summer you lose Marleau and have 6.25 (plus whatever the cap goes up) to deal with extending Gus &/or Muzzin. Leafs need a D (either resign Gardiner or replace him) which Gus fits the bill dirt cheap this Summer when they have a major cap hurdle to figure out.

While there's value in not being deep into LTIR space in regards to how the cap is calculated... Toronto doesn't exactly need to move Horton. They're a very rich franchise, and paying him his 3.6m in salary next season certainly isn't going to break their bank or be much of a driver to make a bad trade value wise for someone with as short a resume as Gustafsson. Especially when Horton only has the 19/20 season left on his contract.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
JC loves Gus.

Highly doubt he goes anywhere and is extended by the Hawks.

The guy turned around the PP by himself with his "look for a shot, nope, pass to Kane" strategy and it paid off big time.

If anyone is interested in Gus, you are prolly giving up something of value

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad