Value of: Gustafsson and Saad to Pittsburgh

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would Gustafsson and/or Saad be available and what would be the cost to acquire? With the Hawks drafting a boatload of D prospects in the first 2 rounds of the last 3 drafts, I imagine Gustafsson would be a possibility. I vaguely recall ideas based around Kessel for Saad+ thrown around, but I imagine Gustafsson is way too big of a plus on top of Saad with the season he had.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
In all honesty Pittsburgh has nothing of value to offer in return.

Gustafson if moved , I could see a scenario of a trade between Toronto and Chicago

Either for kap or Nylander.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Can't see Gus getting kap or nylander one for one. Hawks would have to add something more.

Hawks could also take the last year of Marleau or Horton's contract (and put that cap space in their back pocket to pay Strome/DCat's extensions next Summer). in which case you could probably extract a decent pick out of the Leafs.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hawks could also take the last year of Marleau or Horton's contract (and put that cap space in their back pocket to pay Strome/DCat's extensions next Summer).

I think the biggest problem is that Gustafsson is a UFA after next year and he'll likely be commanding a big contract based on his season last year. That's why I can't imagine he'd bring back a younger, cost controlled guy like Nylander or Kapanen.

I'd personally be trying to do something around Saad and Gustafsson for Kessel and futures. Or maybe Chicago would like Maatta? The Penguins can afford to re-sign Gustafsson because Schultz's contract will be expiring after next year, so giving Gustafsson a comparable contract to Schultz is doable from their POV.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Hawks could also take the last year of Marleau or Horton's contract (and put that cap space in their back pocket to pay
Strome/DCat's extensions next Summer). in which case you could probably extract a decent pick out
of the Leafs.

Maybe if the hawks see themselves as being a borderline playoff team next year. But I don't see them taking Horton or marleau(who can still play) back. With $16 or $17 million in cap space I expect them to be active in the market place.
But who knows if it ends making sense asset wise or lowering the ask on a Toronto forward the hawks like. Maybe it can be worked out.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Kessel at that cost is a definite nope our goal differential and team defense was bad enough already. He is redundant on a team that has Kane, Cat, and Strome in their top 6. Throw in age, contract, underlying numbers, playstyle and the sheer fact that both teams need forwards who play a complete game Kessel is better fit to go to AZ or Carolina who dont have as much scoring help upfront.

Gustafsson meanwhile likely doesnt get moved until one of Boqvist, Jokiharju, etc supplant him and make him expendable and his salary only being 1.2 million for another season he would fetch a lot at the TDL for teams looking for offense on the back end.

I'm not so sure about that.

Nothing in value that is overly realistic.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Saad at 6 million a year would be hard to move.

Gustafsson has a great contract for next year but I don't think he is a #1 Damn.

The Hawks should try to sell high on him but who will bite as he is a UFA after next season?

Not sure either is a real fit in Pittsburgh which is a team that needs to build up its prospect pool, like 3 years ago.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
@wetcoast

Saad at that number would not be hard to move at all. He was back to normal this year numbers wise while being moved up and down the lineup. Still a good 2 way power winger.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I think the biggest problem is that Gustafsson is a UFA after next year and he'll likely be commanding a big contract based on his season last year. That's why I can't imagine he'd bring back a younger, cost controlled guy like Nylander or Kapanen.

I'd personally be trying to do something around Saad and Gustafsson for Kessel and futures. Or maybe Chicago would like Maatta? The Penguins can afford to re-sign Gustafsson because Schultz's contract will be expiring after next year, so giving Gustafsson a comparable contract to Schultz is doable from their POV.

Toronto will be in a much better spot for cap next Summer once every major piece they need to sign gets resolved this Summer (Marner/Kapanen/Johnsson). If you move Kapanen and Horton for Gus and sort out the rest of the extensions, next Summer you lose Marleau and have 6.25 (plus whatever the cap goes up) to deal with extending Gus &/or Muzzin. Leafs need a D (either resign Gardiner or replace him) which Gus fits the bill dirt cheap this Summer when they have a major cap hurdle to figure out.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Saad at 6 million a year would be hard to move.

Gustafsson has a great contract for next year but I don't think he is a #1 Damn.

The Hawks should try to sell high on him but who will bite as he is a UFA after next season?

Not sure either is a real fit in Pittsburgh which is a team that needs to build up its prospect pool, like 3 years ago.

A team that needs D and doesn't have internal options coming on ELC's will bite on Gus. The Hawks very likely won't pay what Gus will command next Summer because they will have several promising ELC guys that need lineup spots by then. A team like Toronto has the need for a competent NHL D and needs one beyond next year (where they happen to have some money coming off the books to resign a guy they like). Gus with the forward grouping of the Leafs would make for a filthy powerplay.

I agree Gus is not a top pairing guy, but I don't think it is a stretch to call him a top 4 who will help a PP massively.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
A team that needs D and doesn't have internal options coming on ELC's will bite on Gus. The Hawks very likely won't pay what Gus will command next Summer because they will have several promising ELC guys that need lineup spots by then. A team like Toronto has the need for a competent NHL D and needs one beyond next year (where they happen to have some money coming off the books to resign a guy they like). Gus with the forward grouping of the Leafs would make for a filthy powerplay.

I agree Gus is not a top pairing guy, but I don't think it is a stretch to call him a top 4 who will help a PP massively.

Still what is that worth in a trade, maybe a 3rd line guy like Zach Hyman?

I doubt the Leafs would trade Hyman straight up for Gus since his contract is really great value.

If the Black Hawks don't resign him and he is available that will bring his value down don't you think?

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Still what is that worth in a trade, maybe a 3rd line guy like Zach Hyman?

I doubt the Leafs would trade Hyman straight up for Gus since his contract is really great value.

If the Black Hawks don't resign him and he is available that will bring his value down don't you think?

Name the last 60pt Dman traded for a 3rd liner. Gustafsson had the 5th most points among dmen at even strength saying he isnt even worth Hyman is straight up comical

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Toronto will be in a much better spot for cap next Summer once every major piece they need to sign gets resolved this Summer (Marner/Kapanen/Johnsson). If you move Kapanen and Horton for Gus and sort out the rest of the extensions, next Summer you lose Marleau and have 6.25 (plus whatever the cap goes up) to deal with extending Gus &/or Muzzin. Leafs need a D (either resign Gardiner or replace him) which Gus fits the bill dirt cheap this Summer when they have a major cap hurdle to figure out.

My comment was me saying that I don't think Toronto would move Kapanen or Nylander for Gustafsson, not that they wouldn't be interested in Gustafsson. I could definitely see the fit there, I just don't think the Hawks would get that caliber of asset with Gustafsson's contract status.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Name the last 60pt Dman traded for a 3rd liner. Gustafsson had the 5th most points among dmen at even strength saying he isnt even worth Hyman is straight up comical

Name me the last guy who went from 16 to 60 points in his age 26 year?

Heck he wasn't even a full time NHLer last year, he isn't a solid point producer (he never showed that rate in the AHL or Sweden) and the market would reflect that.

If the Hawks could get Hyman on that deal they should make the trade, especially with Jokiharju, Boqvist and Beaudin in the system.

Reactions: Riptide and LDF

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Heck he wasn't even a full time NHLer last year, he isn't a solid point producer (he never showed that rate in the AHL or Sweden) and the market would reflect that.

If the Hawks could get Hyman on that deal they should make the trade, especially with Jokiharju, Boqvist and Beaudin in the system.

You have a very overinflated opinion on Hyman if you really think that a player who has been useless away from Matthews is worth Gus lmao . Gustafsson was in the minors because of Q's archaic methods and his ability to never play a Dmen to their strengths (see Leddy, Campbell, Kempny, Daley) in his last few years on the team. He was great in his first season ever in 2016 but Q never gave him an extended chance again after game 7 in St.Louis.

There is a reason even Keith had quite the bounceback year the moment Q was let go. The moment Goose actually got ice time he started producing he ended the 2017-2018 season on a tear as well when he was called up. Hyman is utterly useless away from Matthews and a trade of Gustafsson for Hyman is ridiculously lopsided in Toronto's favor they would be able to do a hell of a lot better than that return.

Last edited:

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Heck he wasn't even a
full time NHLer last year, he isn't a solid point producer (he never showed that rate in the AHL or
Sweden) and the market would reflect that.

If the Hawks could get Hyman on that deal they should make the trade, especially with Jokiharju,
Boqvist and Beaudin in the system.

He was full time last year. Played 79 games. Did he explode on the scene this year yes offensively and became alright on defense. Is he a fit for Toronto? Probably not if your looking for of a shutdown player.
Hawks don't do the trade straight up for hyman. Fine player and Toronto shouldn't be looking to trade anyway.

Reactions: LDF

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You have a very overinflated opinion on Hyman if you really think that a player who has been useless away from Matthews is worth Gus lmao . Gustafsson was in the minors because of Q's archaic methods and his ability to never play a Dmen to their strengths (see Leddy, Campbell, Kempny, Daley) in his last few years on the team. There is a reason even Keith had quite the bounceback year the moment Q was let go. The moment Goose actually got ice time he started producing he ended the 2018 season on a tear as well. Hyman is utterly useless away from Matthews and a trade of Gustafsson for Hyman is ridiculously lopsided in Toronto's favor they would be able to do a hell of a lot better than that return.

I said Hyman bring enough to the table for his salary hit and Gustafsson is expendable in Chicago and has just the one year to show.

Is it a fluke or enough to overcome his defensive problems?

I just don't see his value as a 60 point Dman, there would be way more interest in Barrie who has a much better track record.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He was full time last year. Played 79 games. Did he explode on the scene this year yes offensively and became alright on defense. Is he a fit for Toronto? Probably not if your looking for of a shutdown player.
Hawks don't do the trade straight up for hyman. Fine player and Toronto shouldn't be looking to trade anyway.

To clarify I meant the 17-18 season, last year was his first full time NHL season and you are right I doubt The Leafs trade Hyman with his cap hit.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i will like to add, he was finally given a chance to show what he has.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I said Hyman bring enough to the table for his salary hit and Gustafsson is expendable in Chicago and has just the one year to show.

Is it a fluke or enough to overcome his defensive problems?

I just don't see his value as a 60 point Dman, there would be way more interest in Barrie who has a much better track record.
in ref to his statistically production, that is why different than comparing to his defensive ability.

can't compare the 2.

ref the bold i can see that in this, you are a huge detractor of what many org love an huge offensive weapon on the backliine.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
You might not see his value as a 60 point dman but that's what he is as of right now. If the hawks decided to trade him the ask wouldn't be for a nice middle 6 winger. It would be for more. Whether they get it or not who knows.
Gus isn't a fit for Toronto so no reason to continue the talk of it.
Just my opinion.

Reactions: LDF

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You might not see his value as a 60 point dman but that's what he is as of right now. If the hawks decided to trade him the ask wouldn't be for a nice middle 6 winger. It would be for more. Whether they get it or not who knows.
Gus isn't a fit for Toronto so no reason to continue the talk of it.
Just my opinion.

Is his value really as a 60 point guy when he had 30 points in his previous 76 NHL games?

his 10.6 shooting % isn't sustainable so I would say nope.

he plays sheltered MPG but heck if he starts 2019-20 strong the Hawks should try to sell high on him but his value isn't as a top 10, 20 or even top 30 Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad