Gus Nyquist, Vladislav Gavrikov, and Joonas Korpisalo appreciation thread

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Gus Nyquist seemed like a Blue Jacket from the moment he got here. He wasn't flashy, he wasn't boisterous, he wasn't "elite", but he was extremely solid. Not only on the ice, but off the ice as well. His production was worthy of the contract he signed and he will go down as one of the better CBJ free agent signings. It's a shame two seasons got cut short (or entirely wiped out) due to injury, but he was a good Jacket and seemed like a good genuine guy as well. I wish him luck in Minny.

Korpi was another great soldier. Never heard a peep from him when I am sure it was frustrating sitting behind Bob for years. Then Elvis came in and became everyones favorite. Did Korpi complain? Nope, at least not publicly. Players always talked about how nice he was and how he always put the work in. The results this year speak for themselves. I am glad he rebounded, I am glad the organization gave him chances to rebound, and I am glad he's moving on to have a chance at the #1 job he deserves. I will be rooting for him.

Its a shame Gavvy is gone. That's a piece I thought was going to be a core member of the team. In those Behind the Battle episodes, he always made me laugh and smile. Seemed like a very happy go lucky guy and an infectious personality. On the ice, he was a warrior. Shot blocker and willing to get his nose dirty in front of the net. While he wasn't overly skilled or overly physical, he did the work necessary to win battles and get points. Its a shame this is the direction it went, I thought he was going to be a cornerstone here not only for our D but for our young group of Russian guys coming in. I hope we can maybe re-kindle this relationship in the UFA market although I know its not going to happen.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
^^ Well said.

To add on Korpi, I think this last contract he signed worked out extremely well for both sides in the end. Korpi was rewarded by allowing him to redeem himself and earning a playoff chance. We fans got to say goodbye to a good soldier ending on a high note. Team got a relatively good return back for believing in him one more time.

Korpi's situation to me is something that is easy to understand for everybody involved, decisions and things that happened in earlier years. I wanted to keep him next year and onwards but it would've required moving parts that are nigh unmovable (Elvis) or keeping up three goalies which would be an unorthodox decision, so this move makes the most sense and I get it. I hope Korpi goes on a tear with the Kings (but not too far).

Reactions: Viqsi and koteka

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Anybody watching the LA Kings tonight and Gavy’s premier? I know I am.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
How did he look? Too late for me so only looked at the stat line, looked ok other than the penalty and they got a win (which... I was rooting against, Montreal could've used those points :D).

Edit: In the Kings GDT they are complimenting him and are becoming happy about the trade. Seems like Gavy blocked some shots late to protect the lead etc, normal Gavy stuff. That's good then.

Last edited:

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
How did he look? Too late for me so only looked at the stat line, looked ok other than the penalty and they got a win (which... I was rooting against, Montreal could've used those points :D).

Edit: In the Kings GDT they are complimenting him and are becoming happy about the trade. Seems like Gavy blocked some shots late to protect the lead etc, normal Gavy stuff. That's good then.
He looked like classic Gavy and broke up a breakaway. He was on their PK and the Television Crew kept saying sign this guy.

I wish we did

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I wonder if Gavi wanted 8 years and will sign as UFA for 7 or 6 years. Six years I think we should've done it. I can't imagine Gavi asking only for 4.5M with regards to what Guddy got though. I guess something like 6x6M would start to sting at some point... I guess we'll find out a bit more when he signs with L.A. or in the offseason.

Reactions: tunnelvision

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wonder if Gavi wanted 8 years and will sign as UFA for 7 or 6 years. Six years I think we should've done it. I can't imagine Gavi asking only for 4.5M with regards to what Guddy got though. I guess something like 6x6M would start to sting at some point... I guess we'll find out a bit more when he signs with L.A. or in the offseason.

7 or 8 year deals are really rare for middle of the lineup players, so I don't think that would be the genuine ask if the player was interested in staying.

And if he was asking for $6m then I don't see how the Jackets would be close on money, as they reportedly were.

But maybe the ask was like $5.25 x 6 or something like that, and that wouldn't be a quick yes even for someone like me who is relatively high on Gavi.

It depends partly how he plays in the playoffs - this year's performance with the Jackets was not a great sell - but I expect to see something like $4.75m x 6 with LA or Florida.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Anybody want to go to the game tonight. I have 2 tickets to the game. Family emergency and can’t attend the game.

BTW - they are free tickets

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
From the rumors they weren't far apart on money, just term.

So I'm imagining Gavi asking for like $4.5m x 6 and Jarmo offering like $4m x 4.
If Gavi was asking that and Jarmo rejected it that’d be disappointing. I suspect they were closer to $5M (obviously just guessing) and I don’t think Gavi will get any more than that in FA after watching the trade market for him play out. It’d be interesting to see if there’s a chance they could kiss and make up in the off season.

Reactions: majormajor

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Screenshot_20230304_132759_Twitter.jpg

I think this would explain why he didn't sign an extension here. Good for Jarmo to still get a first, kinda, for him

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
After playing 8 games for LAK with a .937% SV Korpi has a top10 save percentage now as tracked by NHL.com with a .917% for the season. That's really impressive, as was posting .913% with the Jackets. What a great comeback year for him.

Fire Legace!! Ruined his game.

Pretty good numbers for a guy that was considered as a poor NHL backup or AHL level goalie, by many people, just a year or so ago.

Terrible evaluations and decisions regarding the CBJ goalie situation the last few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad