Guide to Draft Guides?

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
As an aside, I don't understand using page numbers or word counts as an indicator of value for money. Less can often be more, and being concise is a skill, while padding your word count with stats and context is not.

I agree fully. I like the Black Book but for many profiles, I wish they would be more concise and to the point. Sometimes they ramble a bit too much.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Our plan was to release our 2020 NHL Draft Black Book ahead of Bob releasing his rankings on TSN next Monday. It looks like we will be able to pull this off. I'll post updates if something changes.

This season we have attempted to go even more in depth with the top 50 (ish) prospects - we want the reader to know what we saw (even using game examples) and why he's ranked where he is. We try to break down the player in parts. Not quite as much detail for most the later round guys and "no drafts" but that probably won't shock anyone who has purchased before.

I'll post a coupon code when we release.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
I agree fully. I like the Black Book but for many profiles, I wish they would be more concise and to the point. Sometimes they ramble a bit too much.

The thing I get the most positive feedback on each year (especially from NHL Scouts) is the detail we give in our profiles. This year is no different. (probably moreso in fact)

Everyone has their own personal tastes and I totally respect yours, but I can't see myself changing what has made us successful.

That said, I will agree with you that we have had some profiles that may have rambled on - it's going to happen now and then with multiple writers ( and talent levels) and limited time.

Cheers.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
FWIW, I think I have almost every resource known to man for the 2020 draft. But Black Book is the Holy Grail to me and I will take their added detail all day long. Excited to see it next week.

Reactions: archimet and ps241

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
The thing I get the most positive feedback on each year (especially from NHL Scouts) is the detail we give in our profiles. This year is no different. (probably moreso in fact)

Everyone has their own personal tastes and I totally respect yours, but I can't see myself changing what has made us successful.

That said, I will agree with you that we have had some profiles that may have rambled on - it's going to happen now and then with multiple writers ( and talent levels) and limited time.

Cheers.

Just to let you know it was not a diss. I do like your product and my general feedback would be positive as well.

I fully understand how hard it is to produce that much work, as I do have to write my fair number of texts in a totally different setting each year, with limited time as well. It must not be easy to be at the same time a decent scout and a good writer, in the sense of being able to keep the same level of details and color but at the same time to express it in a more concise way.

As to what I wrote, I was just expressing pretty much the only gripe I have about the Black Book (hence a wish). I respect your work, but in a normal year sometimes it's hard to get it all in between your release and the draft due to the size of the book. :)

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Just to let you know it was not a diss. I do like your product and my general feedback would be positive as well.

I fully understand how hard it is to produce that much work, as I do have to write my fair number of texts in a totally different setting each year, with limited time as well. It must not be easy to be at the same time a decent scout and a good writer, in the sense of being able to keep the same level of details and color but at the same time to express it in a more concise way.

As to what I wrote, I was just expressing pretty much the only gripe I have about the Black Book (hence a wish). I respect your work, but in a normal year sometimes it's hard to get it all in between your release and the draft due to the size of the book. :)

I didn't take it as a diss at all. I like having feedback because it gives us a chance to take the info and possibly make us better.

We always take some time during the summer to prepare for the next season and we ask ourselves how we can make things better for both our members, non members and ourselves as well. This book causes some stress for our team and is a real grind, especially towards the end (like we feel right now) but we love scouting and this is just the one slightly crappy part of our gig.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Hey All!

Our crew at Draft Prospects Hockey has published our comprehensive 150 plus page 2020 NHL Draft Guide.

2020 profiles.jpg

Just go to the website and download at DRAFTPRO – 2020 NHL DRAFT GUIDE – DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
We will have our 2020 Black Book released before 9pm tomorrow (Friday June 19th)
Here is the 2020 HF Boards coupon for $5.00 off.

HFBB20

In case you missed it, our 2020 Black Book has been released.

HF Boards coupon for $5.00 off.

HFBB20

Here is the link to the book for those interested. Appreciate the support from those who already purchased. Might be a pretty lean fall. lol

The rankings are bold.

Maybe on a few, but not as bold as some think. I know plenty of scouts who share many of our thoughts on players.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
In case you missed it, our 2020 Black Book has been released.

HF Boards coupon for $5.00 off.

HFBB20

Here is the link to the book for those interested. Appreciate the support from those who already purchased. Might be a pretty lean fall. lol

Maybe on a few, but not as bold as some think. I know plenty of scouts who share many of our thoughts on players.

Would have got it last year, but no Paypal.
Same this year.
Oh well.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
For those awaiting the Print Edition of our 2020 NHL Draft Black Book - It's here.

Reminder that it is 590 pages rather than 763 due to maximum page count restrictions for 8.5" x 11.5" books.

Link to all the amazon links

Also for those who may not have seen the coupon code for the PDF edition.

HFBB20

Unfortunately discounts are out of my control for the print edition.

PodcastAlleyCanada

Jun 28, 2020

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Just a note that Future Considerations is 24.99 USD, which brings its price tag up quite a bit in CDN (closer to 35 CDN).

PodcastAlleyCanada

Jun 28, 2020
Craig Button and I will be discussing Yaroslav Askarov, Gunnarwolfe Fontaine, Carter Savoie and more on this week's show.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

Our 2020 NHL Draft Report will be released tomorrow. PDF download via PayPal for only $5. I'll post the link on here tomorrow.

It will have over 375 detailed scouting reports plus 31 team previews loaded with detail and analysis. There's other stuff in there as well but the prospect profiles is what you want. We covered Europe like a blanket this year.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Dobber rates players “fantasy upside”. Which I think is great for pools that you draft a player for 5 plus years in a keeper. Is there anyone else that offers a simple rating on this? Just for a 2nd opinion on dobbers numbers. Preferably free or really cheap?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
2020 NHL Draft Report is up.

The 2020 NHL Draft Report is here! - The Draft Analyst

Here's what you get for $5:

1. Top 300 rankings
2. Profiles on 326 first-year eligibles and Top-50 overagers
3. 31 NHL team previews with tons of data and analysis
4. Updated draft order based on current NHL postseason
5. Top-62 mock draft with brief player descriptions
6. Top-32 for 2021 with brief player descriptions.

It's over 300 pages and the PDF is about 7mb. If interested, purchase via the link above, which directs you to PayPal. I can do Venmo if PayPal isn't you're thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad