Guide to Draft Guides?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So the draft guides are starting to come out.
Hockey News Cost $7:34
The Hockey News subscription
Final 2020 NHL draft rankings: these go to 120 - TheHockeyNews

Recrutes: - Great value at $20 Canadian. PDF emailed. Easy to read.
Recrutes | Recrutes 2020 NHL Draft Guide

Pronman: Must be a subscriber ($ubscription)
Pronman's 2020 NHL Draft Board: Top 122 prospects

McKeen's is cheap. Like $10 US or something if you're not a subscriber. PDF download.
Subscribe

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic. Great look at the top 50. ($ubscription)
Wheeler: Final ranking for the 2020 NHL Draft's top 100...

Future Considerations:
2020 NHL Draft Guide $24.99 CDN

Last Word on Hockey. Free I think.
2020 NHL Entry Draft Headquarters - Last Word on Hockey

DraftPro $11.29 Canadian. PDF/ 153 pages. Top 217
DRAFTPRO – 2020 NHL DRAFT GUIDE – DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY

EP Rinkside (members)
EXCLUSIVE: EliteProspects 2020 NHL Entry Draft Ranking Version 4.0

HockeyProspect $49.99 - HF Boards coupon for $5.00 off. CODE: HFBB20
NOW AVAILABLE!!! 2020 NHL Draft Black Book | HockeyProspect.com

Top 80. Cam Robinson. Dobber Prospects. Free.
Robinson: “Final” 2020 NHL Draft Rankings (June 2020)

The 2020 NHL Draft Report is here! - The Draft Analyst
Here's what you get for $5: 1. Top 300 rankings 2. Profiles on 326 first-year eligibles and Top-50 overagers 3. 31 NHL team previews with tons of data and analysis 4. Updated draft order based on current NHL postseason 5. Top-62 mock draft with brief player descriptions 6. Top-32 for 2021 with brief player descriptions.

Any others published yet?

Last edited:

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Pre-order your Draft Prospects Hockey 2020 NHL Draft Guide and read the previously released 2020 Preview Magazine today as an instant download absolutely free. #2020NHLDraft #DraftPro
DRAFTPRO – 2020 NHL DRAFT GUIDE (PRE-ORDER TODAY) – DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
IMG_20200511_233436.jpg

The comprehensive Draft Prospects Hockey 2020 NHL Draft guide, that is produced by our staff of ten hard working evaluators from around the globe, will be well worth the price ($9.99) and should be released in the next couple weeks, well ahead of the NHL Draft lottery (phase 1) that takes place on June 26.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Pre-order your Draft Prospects Hockey 2020 NHL Draft Guide and read the previously released 2020 Preview Magazine today as an instant download absolutely free. #2020NHLDraft #DraftPro
DRAFTPRO – 2020 NHL DRAFT GUIDE (PRE-ORDER TODAY) – DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
View attachment 347806

The comprehensive Draft Prospects Hockey 2020 NHL Draft guide, that is produced by our staff of ten hard working evaluators from around the globe, will be well worth the price ($9.99) and should be released in the next couple weeks, well ahead of the NHL Draft lottery (phase 1) that takes place on June 26.

Looking forward to it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
@Larry Fisher who posts here usually has really in depth prospect work.

One of the few THN writers who I’d qualify as must read.

Pronman for the Athletic is really good. The guy who does the draft guide “Black Book” I think it’s called, I think he posts here as @Mark Edwards has good material too.

Reactions: MarcAttack and MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
which guides are the most reliable? Iv been a subscriber to McKeens for a year now and its been pretty cool. but I dont like going into a draft based off 1 guide.

That's a good question.
I've got McKeen's. I'm sort of hit and miss on McKeen's. Sometime's it comes off as Hf freebie fanboy.
I have Recruites. It's OK. It's cheap.
I'm going to get Steve Kournianos, but he's a bit too high on too many guys.
Add Pronman and Wheeler, and that's a decent start.
I feel like I've got an idea of the kinds of players i want to look out for.

Anyone get Red Line Report? Woodlief used to be King.
Does ISS put out content?
Hockey Prospect's "Black Book" is supposed to be really good, but I've never bought it yet. A lot pricier than most.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
That's a good question.
I've got McKeen's. I'm sort of hit and miss on McKeen's. Sometime's it comes off as Hf freebie fanboy.
I have Recruites. It's OK. It's cheap.
I'm going to get Steve Kournianos, but he's a bit too high on too many guys.
Add Pronman and Wheeler, and that's a decent start.
I feel like I've got an idea of the kinds of players i want to look out for.

Does ISS put out content?
Hockey Prospect's "Black Book" is supposed to be really good, but I've never bought it yet. A lot pricier than most.
I might check out the Black Book. I like McKeens alot because it breaks down players in Skate, Shot, Skill, Smarts and Physical. so its easy to find what ur looking for in a player. I dunno if ISS puts out anything I think they mostly just do top 31. not sure though I only really see them on eliteprospects

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

still king. red line is excellent. i particularly like that when they're against the grain,
they don't care. courage of conviction. the profiles are very detailed as well.

Reactions: MBH

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
I might check out the Black Book. I like McKeens alot because it breaks down players in Skate, Shot, Skill, Smarts and Physical. so its easy to find what ur looking for in a player. I dunno if ISS puts out anything I think they mostly just do top 31. not sure though I only really see them on eliteprospects

I think the people from McKeens do their best. If you stick to the profiles it's okay. However, there seem to be flaws in their rankings. For example, they didn't seem to really consider their QMJHL scout's opinion. They have a "hidden gem" mentioned by him who's not even an honorable mention in their rankings. Also, most of the Q prospects have been pushed down the list. A couple of leagues have had their prospects pushed "up", probably because they have more vocal "scouts".

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
All of the guides have places where they go against the grain, or group think on HF. But all have some value.

Most people seem to like Black Book and Red Line the best. I have subscribed to Black Book the past two years and will again. They offer a ton of content. It isn't cheap, but if you are willing to spend $50 - $55 it is worth it.

I have never subscribed to Red Line Report but have seen samples. Kyle does go out on a limb and has the courage of his convictions. He can also be rather funny in his write ups. You used to be able to read him at USA Today occasionally, but I don't know if he still does that. I have not subscribed to Red Line due to its cost/content ratio compared to Black Book.

I also subscribe to McKeen's and have for years. I like their content throughout the year, good write ups on prospects that keep you going until the guides start to come out. Their draft guide is very good for the money. Brock Otten posts here and it is really nice that he does.

I subscribe to the Hockey News, which used to be the only place I could get a draft guide from. It gets panned, but I look forward to it each year and it is reasonable and worth it.

I subscribe to The Athletic and thus get both Pronman and Wheeler. I like reading both, even when they make me scratch my head (Pronman can have that effect on you), but they do a lot of work without a team to help them.

I also subscribe to ESPN + and get Chris Peters that way. He is just another source. Worth a read and it comes with the subscription.

I used to subscribe to Future Considerations. They used to be really good with lots of content for a small fee. The fee has gotten larger, though not bad. I chose to direct my funds to Black Book and Future Considerations was the cost saving casualty. I did like it, and recommend it is Black Book is out of your range.

The Draft Analyst is worth a look, Steve comes on here all of the time and I enjoy his work, even when I don't agree with him. I believe everything on his site is free. It is well worth a look, and his podcast is worth listening to.

I won't buy Recruites. I am personally not a fan of Grant for personal reasons, and I'll leave it there. His guide may be great for all I know.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I think the people from McKeens do their best. If you stick to the profiles it's okay. However, there seem to be flaws in their rankings. For example, they didn't seem to really consider their QMJHL scout's opinion. They have a "hidden gem" mentioned by him who's not even an honorable mention in their rankings. Also, most of the Q prospects have been pushed down the list. A couple of leagues have had their prospects pushed "up", probably because they have more vocal "scouts".
yeah it feels like they are a little CHL biased in that one. it's okay I know my targets I pick in the top3 or top 5. Almost a lock for top 3. and got 20, then 57 so unless I trade up. I know my targets we shall see who is available when we get there. but yes it does feel they dropped the ball a tiny bit. but either way McKeen's guides are impressive.
I also noticed a player Im very high on not even make his list. but is in the HM section.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
All of the guides have places where they go against the grain, or group think on HF. But all have some value.

Most people seem to like Black Book and Red Line the best. I have subscribed to Black Book the past two years and will again. They offer a ton of content. It isn't cheap, but if you are willing to spend $50 - $55 it is worth it.

I have never subscribed to Red Line Report but have seen samples. Kyle does go out on a limb and has the courage of his convictions. He can also be rather funny in his write ups. You used to be able to read him at USA Today occasionally, but I don't know if he still does that. I have not subscribed to Red Line due to its cost/content ratio compared to Black Book.

I also subscribe to McKeen's and have for years. I like their content throughout the year, good write ups on prospects that keep you going until the guides start to come out. Their draft guide is very good for the money. Brock Otten posts here and it is really nice that he does.

I subscribe to the Hockey News, which used to be the only place I could get a draft guide from. It gets panned, but I look forward to it each year and it is reasonable and worth it.

I subscribe to The Athletic and thus get both Pronman and Wheeler. I like reading both, even when they make me scratch my head (Pronman can have that effect on you), but they do a lot of work without a team to help them.

I also subscribe to ESPN + and get Chris Peters that way. He is just another source. Worth a read and it comes with the subscription.

I used to subscribe to Future Considerations. They used to be really good with lots of content for a small fee. The fee has gotten larger, though not bad. I chose to direct my funds to Black Book and Future Considerations was the cost saving casualty. I did like it, and recommend it is Black Book is out of your range.

The Draft Analyst is worth a look, Steve comes on here all of the time and I enjoy his work, even when I don't agree with him. I believe everything on his site is free. It is well worth a look, and his podcast is worth listening to.

I won't buy Recruites. I am personally not a fan of Grant for personal reasons, and I'll leave it there. His guide may be great for all I know.
Blackbook is 50$ christ. I dunno if Ill drop that. I assume thats USD too. being Canadian thats pretty pricey for info I pretty much found over the past 6 months or however long its been.
I'd love to read it just I dunno if its worth 50 imo. I may have to check it out since you highly recommended it to me.
Maybe Ill get a buddy in my league to chip in.
Do you know if the blackbook only allows so many users to use the same account? dont wanna buy then get banned for sharing it lol

Reactions: The Sweetness

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
any idea when this is coming out? would be cool if one of their people could mention
a release date.

Nope. I have seen a few ask on Twitter, and have asked myself without answer. Normally it is ~June 7th, but I believe they are happy to have a little extra time to touch things up this year.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Black Book is IMO by far the best resource and well worth the money. It's not even close.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm lucky to have a great team of people with me.

The Black Book has become the "bible" of NHL Draft guides -

NHL Draft Black Book | HockeyProspect.com

Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks for saving some $ to grab ours. I appreciate it.

Blackbook is 50$ christ. I dunno if Ill drop that. I assume thats USD too. being Canadian thats pretty pricey for info I pretty much found over the past 6 months or however long its been.
I'd love to read it just I dunno if its worth 50 imo. I may have to check it out since you highly recommended it to me.
Maybe Ill get a buddy in my league to chip in.
Do you know if the blackbook only allows so many users to use the same account? dont wanna buy then get banned for sharing it lol

Canadian funds for PDF - US funds for print because it's on amazon.com (eventually .ca but it's extra pricey because amazon likes to to take their cut)

Sorry but unfortunately we allow one user - we can't exist if everyone shares. Travelling to see games is very costly $.

Nope. I have seen a few ask on Twitter, and have asked myself without answer. Normally it is ~June 7th, but I believe they are happy to have a little extra time to touch things up this year.

We relaxed slightly on our long days when the fall draft was announced. I'm currently trying to get a feel for where we are at as far as % complete. I hope to have an idea when we can finish the book and release it sometime soon. We are indeed going to take advantage of the extra time to do some editing this year. We are usually so rushed that there is little time to do some basic edits. Don't worry, I'm not planning on an October release. :laugh:

I'll make sure to post back here when I have a better idea of a release date. Any HockeyProspect.com members who might have their account expire between our usual release date (June 7th area) and this years actual release date will have their membership extended so they won't have any issues.

I'm pretty confident the 2020 edition will be worth the wait. We did post a sample profile writeup (without the player ratings etc..) last week. Tristen Robins. There are probably in the range of 50 profiles of that length or longer plus many more which are not quite as lengthy. I've sent a couple top 31 player profiles to some NHL scouts and I was very happy with their feedback.

As always, we'll give an HF coupon for a small discount on our pdf that I'll post here on HF when we eventually release.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Has anyone seen the hockey news guidebook yet? For the record I got the Recrutes online subscription a couple of weeks ago. There has yet to be an update. The top 70 list is from January.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
FYI there won’t be a Hockey News guidebook this year because of covid. You can download the app however

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
I know www.draftprospectshockey.com is the new kid on the block but I think we have just as much right to be mentioned with these other scouting outfits.

Draft Prospects Hockey is in year two and our upcoming draft guide will be can't miss draft material for anyone who wants a complete, comprehensive rundown of the talent available each year. To pre-order the guide and receive a complimentary copy of our 2020 preview magazine release last fall go here: DRAFTPRO – 2020 NHL DRAFT GUIDE (PRE-ORDER TODAY) – DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY

Just as a little background I started Future Considerations in 2008 with Aaron Vickers and was in charge of all the scouting - directing the team and writting all the scouting reports during my 10 years with that group. This new company has ten very talented scouts located around the globe and attending games regularly.

We also introduced a mock draft simulator recently that has become very popular and if you have not tried it our I suggest you take a spin. draftsim

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->