Guess the roster if MacT was still GM...

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
16th overall draft pick for Cam Talbot
Re-sign Roy

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - McDavid - Purcell
Lander - Roy - Yakupov
Hendricks - Gordon - Klinkhammer

Klefbom - Schultz
Nikitin - Fayne
Marincin - Ference

Talbot
Scrivens

ivanthebad*

1st for Talbot
Re-sign Roy 2 years 4mil
Sign Schultz 2 year 7.5mil
Offer sheet Hamilton 8 mil
Keep Nelson as coach cuz players responded to him
Hire Ryan Smyth as assist coach

Poo-RNH-Ebs
Hall-McD-Pitlick
Roy-Lander-Yak

Klef-Hamilton
Nikitin-Schultz
Ference-Fayne

Talbot
Scrivens

ivanthebad*

MacT wasn't a fan of Nelson.

You are probably right but he never dismissed him in the media afterwards and it was pretty clear Nelson got the most out of alot of players. Add that with players and fans like for him after a terrible 2 years, I really think he would kept him and hired Ryan Smyth, that we he has HIS pick in the mix. Getting rid of Nelson, he would have known his foot was one more step towards the door if he did. He is not a complete idiot.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
You are probably right but he never dismissed him in the media afterwards and it was pretty clear Nelson got the most out of alot of players. Add that with players and fans like for him after a terrible 2 years, I really think he would kept him and hired Ryan Smyth, that we he has HIS pick in the mix. Getting rid of Nelson, he would have known his foot was one more step towards the door if he did. He is not a complete idiot.
I really believe McLellan would have been coach as MacT talked to time before Chia became GM.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - McDavid - Pitlick
Purcell - Lander - Yakupov
Klinkhammer - Gordon - Hendricks

Klefbom - Schultz
Nikitin - Fayne
Musil - Ference

Brossoit
Scrivens

Coach: Dallas Eakins
Assistant: Keith Acton, Kelly Buchberger, Craig Ramsay, Esa Tikkanen

omg :laugh: takes me back to the days when the Leafs brought back Roger Nielson Mact doesn't announce new coach till 1st game where Eakins removes paper bag from over his head, and the Leafs thing comes full circle.

Last edited:

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I think Mac t would have got hamilton where chia didn't.

You have to wonder, I mean really Calgary was the only team in the mix no other teams. It could still have been just Calgary as the only team.

People forget it wasn't a bidding war which it should be amongst other teams. If Edmonton inquires possibly (that's if they do) but it's also knowing how available he was.

I guess the potential threat of a offer sheet (however again i think that was said to empathize with the bruins fans, because i personally don't think they were scared of an offer sheet), and they also knew they could trade this player easily.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
You have to wonder, I mean really Calgary was the only team in the mix no other teams. It could still have been just Calgary as the only team.

People forget it wasn't a bidding war which it should be amongst other teams. If Edmonton inquires possibly (that's if they do) but it's also knowing how available he was.

I guess the potential threat of a offer sheet (however again i think that was said to empathize with the bruins fans, because i personally don't think they were scared of an offer sheet), and they also knew they could trade this player easily.

Honestly, I wonder if Chiarelli sat out this season as a GM, Hamilton is still a Bruin.

Chiarelli likely knew exactly what Hamilton wanted as an RFA and could have held that threat over Sweeney's head, which led Sweeney to make a panic sale and gift him to Calgary.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Hall-Nugent Hopkins-Eberle
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Pitlick
Khaira-Campbell-Pakarinen
Hendricks-Gordon-Gazdic

Phaneuf-Schultz
Klefbom-Martin
Ference-Fayne

Ward
Scrivens

(penalized for being over the cap)
(Yak and Lottery pick traded for Phaneuf)

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Pretty much the same lineup plus McD, Nurse and Talbot, whom he acquired after trading the 16th oa for. Paul McLean or Nelson is coach. It would be a developmental year.

Tho, Gret99zky's comment might have some validity. U would have to think that Mcdavid would at least be receiving advice from some significant voices to refuse to go to the KLowe gongshow. It was an organization run amok.

I think you are reading too much into that. MacT was still the GM when the Oilers won the lottery. Despite the Leafs fans wet dreams he was clear from that moment that he would report to the Oilers. It was never a question.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Trades #16 and both 2nd rounders to Boston for Hamilton.
Signs Kari Ramo.
Signs Shawn Horcoff.
Trades Marincin for a 4th and keeps the pick because he doesnt want to add another contract.

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Hall-McDavid-Purcell
Lander-Horcoff-Yakupov
Hendricks-Gordon-Pitlick
Klinkhammer, Gazdic

Klefbom-Hamilton
Nikitin-Schultz
Ference-Fayne
Davidson

Ramo
Scrivens

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Trades #16 and both 2nd rounders to Boston for Hamilton.
Signs Kari Ramo.
Signs Shawn Horcoff.
Trades Marincin for a 4th and keeps the pick because he doesnt want to add another contract.

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Hall-McDavid-Purcell
Lander-Horcoff-Yakupov
Hendricks-Gordon-Pitlick
Klinkhammer, Gazdic

Klefbom-Hamilton
Nikitin-Schultz
Ference-Fayne
Davidson

Ramo
Scrivens

I think part of why Boston wanted so much from the Oilers is because they wanted to pick 13th, 14,15th and not 13, 14 and 16.

I think Boston asking for Nurse was to spite Chia ..but i do believe MacT woulda worked something out as he had no personal riff with the Bruins brass..I believe the deal woulda went down as Yakupov + 16OA + 33OA for Hamilton's rights.

Still a hefty price..but Oilers need for Hamiton far exceeded Yakupov's need

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad