Guelph Storm 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
I watched the orientation on Sunday and Katzin, if he was there only stayed for Saturday. He wasn't on the ice Sunday. The scrimmage was good, I think the Black team was stacked. even though there was some hitting it was more like a shinny hockey game.

The 1st round pick showed offensive ability but I hope he doesn't become another Merkley and leave his defense partner and goalie out to dry by joining the rush all the time.

I was impressed with Snelgrove, good height and speed, should be fun to watch. The other thing that stood out was Topp, he has lost weight, skated well and seems more mobile than last year but still bring size to the position. We definitely won't have a problem with RH defensemen, we have quite a few in the stable now.

Reactions: StormWatcher

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I watched the orientation on Sunday and Katzin, if he was there only stayed for Saturday. He wasn't on the ice Sunday. The scrimmage was good, I think the Black team was stacked. even though there was some hitting it was more like a shinny hockey game.

The 1st round pick showed offensive ability but I hope he doesn't become another Merkley and leave his defense partner and goalie out to dry by joining the rush all the time.

I was impressed with Snelgrove, good height and speed, should be fun to watch. The other thing that stood out was Topp, he has lost weight, skated well and seems more mobile than last year but still bring size to the position. We definitely won't have a problem with RH defensemen, we have quite a few in the stable now.
Rangers had the same thing happen with Hage. The rest was history. Love what the Storm did in this past draft.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013

Thanks for the insight!!!

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
guel.jpg

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Guelph Picks Vilmer Alriksson (SWE) in the Import Draft. A 2023 4th round pick of the Canucks (Scott Walker tie-in). 6'6" LW.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
Guelph Picks Vilmer Alriksson (SWE) in the Import Draft. A 2023 4th round pick of the Canucks (Scott Walker tie-in). 6'6" LW.
Lots of connections to the Canucks, Walker, Todd Harvey and Phil Golding. I think they are confident that he will come since I read a Vancouver article that the team wants him here to continue developing.

The goalie is the unknown. I was surprised by the pick and if he reports I assume Leaver is on the move.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
Does anyone know any insider to Ken Penroff? How is his coaching style?
I know he served with the Storm for basically one year and it was announced he wouldn't be back. No reason for the departure was given. He came from the GOJHL where he had success on two occasions.

He played for Butler in Brampton so there is familiarity. Hope he brings some good qualities to the Otters.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Canucks fan coming in piece , do Guelph Storm fans think Alriksson will report ? How is The Storms history in there Import draft players coming over .

I’m hoping he comes over and plays top 6 minutes opposed to bottom 4 minutes in the SHL

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
Canucks fan coming in piece , do Guelph Storm fans think Alriksson will report ? How is The Storms history in there Import draft players coming over .

I’m hoping he comes over and plays top 6 minutes opposed to bottom 4 minutes in the SHL
I think there is a high probability that he comes to play here. The Storm have multiple connections with the Canucks, I’m sure there was communication between the organizations when making this pick. Scott Walker was a former assistant coach with them, Todd Harvey is the director of amateur scouting, a former assistant coach with the Storm. He’s buddies with Walker. One of your scouts was an assistant GM with the Storm.

An article from a Vancouver source after your recent orientation camp quotes Canuck personal that they would like to see him continue his development here.

So if he doesn’t show I’ll be very surprised.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I think there is a high probability that he comes to play here. The Storm have multiple connections with the Canucks, I’m sure there was communication between the organizations when making this pick. Scott Walker was a former assistant coach with them, Todd Harvey is the director of amateur scouting, a former assistant coach with the Storm. He’s buddies with Walker. One of your scouts was an assistant GM with the Storm.

An article from a Vancouver source after your recent orientation camp quotes Canuck personal that they would like to see him continue his development here.

So if he doesn’t show I’ll be very surprised.

Thanks yeah me too I am hopeful he comes over . Would be so much better for his development and he can improve his skating

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
Looks like both import picks are coming to play in Guelph this season. Let’s hope they both get playing time unlike the last two picks on defence that went home at Christmas.

I feel both should since we traded the only one that’s contributed. With the goalie signing, look for the Storm to move or release Leaver.

Reactions: DraftEligibleOHL

the dog

May 16, 2014
Another overage defensemen that's 4 who's getting traded .....keeping forward Braeden Bowan

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Sounds like this is the same surgery that Owen Allard went through last year in the Soo.

Owen sustained his injury during the summer at Ottawa Senators camp and did not return to OHL action until Feburary 23rd, 2023.

Last edited:

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Hoping Cam recovers well. I'm ready for hockey!!

Lineup guesses?

Karabela/Poitras/Bowman
Alriksson/Namestnikov/Luchanko
McKenzie/McGuire/Paquette
McKnight/Snelgrove/McFadden

Buchinger/Beauchesne (Let Buchinger mentor him until Allen returns)
Romeo/Topp
Hislop/Singh (Singh will likely be up/down - can only dress 3 16 year olds).

I hope Luchanko takes a step forward and Alriksson can hit the ground running. It may be a little sparse out there at the beginning of the season when players are away at camps.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
And from the "way too early" files...

I really want to see Nelson and Wakely in Storm uniforms after the deadline.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
As a big Canucks fan , what do Storm fans think Alriksson’s stats will be like as a rookie ? Does he play in the top 6 and does he play for Sweden in the World Juniors??

Really excited he came over to North America

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
As a big Canucks fan , what do Storm fans think Alriksson’s stats will be like as a rookie ? Does he play in the top 6 and does he play for Sweden in the World Juniors??

Really excited he came over to North America
Watched him this morning. He skates well for his size. I may make it out to the scrimmage this evening, if so I'll post more. I would bet he slots in on the second line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad