Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
Personally, I believe this roster has the talent to win the entire league this year. It's just a matter of putting together the right pieces and meshing at the right time. We've lost two games to start the season, so what? There are a lot worse things that could have happened. We have a lot of things going for us, a strong defensive unit and versatile forwards. There are some key pieces missing however.

I think that there is a lack of an absolute game changer on the front-end. Don't get me wrong by all means, the Storm are studded and Ratcliffe, Hillis etcetera all have that raw talent and ability, but we need that one forward that sticks out, the one that every team is like "Oh no." With the window on this particular Storm group coming to an end, I'd like to see the commitment from the management. All in, an attempt to get one. Morgan Frost, Nick Suzuki [If he returns], Jason Robertson and another acquisition would be nice.

On top of the offensive piece missing, I feel like there's a strong defensive and leadership hole even with the addition of Jack Hanley that would be amazing to get filled. Someone like Kevin Bahl, Logan Stanley [Not eligible], Gordeev even. Somebody who can really lock it down.

It all comes down to who is selling in the league this year.

Popovich and Daws will be absolutely fine in net, I mean, we won with Justin Nichols...

That is how I personally believe the Guelph Storm could advance to the Memorial Cup this year.

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Well I wanted to try and let this board go, but it's gone too far and I had to go scorched earth. If you think someone is trolling, report it. Don't comment on it, don't respond to them. It just creates a bigger mess. Now back to talking hockey please.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Personally, I believe this roster has the talent to win the entire league this year. . There are some key pieces missing however.

. All in, an attempt to get one.Nick Suzuki [If he returns], would be nice.

It all comes down to who is selling in the league .

That is how I personally believe the Guelph Storm could advance to the Memorial Cup this year.

I believe Nick will be back in the O, after perhaps a lengthy stay in Montreal, and recently a 'gift ' from Max Domi.

If he returns, I'd say there is slim chance he'd be moved, unless the Storm were willing to part with younger yet equally as talented player plus high draft picks. Nick has a no trade clause and has already signalled his intent to win in Owen Sound, no where else.
Of course, never say never.

DeGray won't blowup his team, the goal is always a playoff spot, and this year it appears sights are set on home ice advantage in Owen Sound.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Well I wanted to try and let this board go, but it's gone too far and I had to go scorched earth. If you think someone is trolling, report it. Don't comment on it, don't respond to them. It just creates a bigger mess. Now back to talking hockey please.

I believe thats been tried in the past and nothing comes of it

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Making a trip down to Guelph for the first time in a few years.

Wonder if there will be any posters in attendance for the game? Don't know how many Attack fans will be headed down beyond myself and another poster.

But we're usually pretty friendly and easy to find.

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
I believe Nick will be back in the O, after perhaps a lengthy stay in Montreal, and recently a 'gift ' from Max Domi.

If he returns, I'd say there is slim chance he'd be moved, unless the Storm were willing to part with younger yet equally as talented player plus high draft picks. Nick has a no trade clause and has already signalled his intent to win in Owen Sound, no where else.
Of course, never say never.

DeGray won't blowup his team, the goal is always a playoff spot, and this year it appears sights are set on home ice advantage in Owen Sound.

I agree which is why I was under the impression that it was highly unlikely. The stipulation is if Owen Sound start falling, they've got to sell him this year if they don't have a reasonably high chance of winning, it's just business for the team.

Kingston however, is in a position where they're going to have to start selling with most of their picks gone and having gone all in last year and busting.

Guelph should be a pretty good destination for elite players in trades this year, they have a real chance and a lot of talent.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Merkely, still in SJS camp to my knowledge. Played last night, registering an assist which looks like his first NHL point (albeit, preseason).

If game logs are to be believed, he's also a +4 over three games.

From reading/listening to a Sharks podcast, apparently he's rooming with Burns while at camp.

Reactions: StormWatcher

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
I heard he roomed with Burns while at camp. Hopefully he comes back with a great attitude and an improved defensive awareness. Offensively - no worries! :popcorn:
I hope your view is correct and I will give him the opportunity to show it or the reverse line of thought is that the experience will make the situation worse given the perceived success he had at camp.

I'm hoping its more the former.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Meant to ask what's the deal with Spykes being closed? Those kiosks don't have enough selection...

Cynical Canadian

Nov 16, 2015
Meant to ask what's the deal with Spykes being closed? Those kiosks don't have enough selection...

The mall portion of the building was sold, and since Spikes was part of the mall and not the rink, its lease was not renewed.

Apparently there is something in the works to replace it.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
The mall portion of the building was sold, and since Spikes was part of the mall and not the rink, its lease was not renewed.

Apparently there is something in the works to replace it.

Thanks for the heads up. Disappointing it wasn't sorted before the season started. They are trying to cram as much as they can in the concourse which slows foot traffic.

Hawel looks great so far, he's taken a big step up in his game and has been a pleasant surprise. He must've worked hard this summer.

I like the top line of Ratcliffe/Schnarr/Hawel. Second line needs work, rotate that Bertuzzi spot until filling that gap through a trade.

Nice to see Chayka have a break out.

I was also impressed by Woolley's play. Lots of quiet solid D, good on the puck at the half wall. The top 6 D looks nice and set, can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

Reactions: TopCheese66

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Chayka.. 1st star last night.... hey ...we don't need him tonight eh?.....coach ?........coach?...

Last edited by a moderator:

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Thought the game on Friday was a great game, showed what they can do when they play smart hockey. Saturday's game started out well but unfortunately when they got the 5-0 lead they sat back on their heels and and relaxed and just about lost. Great to see Ralph with the hat trick and saving the teams butt in overtime. They just can't let a 5 goal lead go like they did. On to the next game!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
We can't win for losing here. Still get our hand slapped whatever choice we make. Thought the game on Friday was a great game, showed what they can do when they play smart hockey. Saturday's game started out well but unfortunately when they got the 5-0 lead they sat back on their heels and and relaxed and just about lost. Great to see Ralph with the hat trick and saving the teams butt in overtime. They just can't let a 5 goal lead go like they did. On to the next game!

Yep Yep! Was a nice weekend - collapse not withstanding.

Still far too inconsistent - in all aspects - to look like a "true contender" at this point, but it was nice to see that they should be able to keep up with any team as far as goal scoring.

I'm still worried about the goal-tending and the D. I think adding an impact, #1 D (OA or not) would really benefit this group, knocking each other player down one spot.

Still too much season left to really make any concrete judgement, but they don't look terrible!!!!!

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Yep Yep! Was a nice weekend - collapse not withstanding.

Still far too inconsistent - in all aspects - to look like a "true contender" at this point, but it was nice to see that they should be able to keep up with any team as far as goal scoring.

I'm still worried about the goal-tending and the D. I think adding an impact, #1 D (OA or not) would really benefit this group, knocking each other player down one spot.

Still too much season left to really make any concrete judgement, but they don't look terrible!!!!!
yup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad