Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Great start to camp.....caruso a thunderous check on Toropchenko.. ..knocked helmet off.....Chayka...best D drafted in years..

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I am catching up on some posts and reading about negative posters on here. I think I have been one of them, but will explain my reasoning. Most of my negative thoughts surrounding this team are simply because I don't see many upgrades and that I wonder how much better some guys can be.

Goaltending - As written in Tony Saxon's training camp article, it doesn't seem like talent is an issue, but consistency is.Among goalies with 10+ games played, he ranked 22nd in GAA and a more respectable 12th in SV%. Seems like a league average/slightly above average goalie at his best.

Nico Daws needs to improve a lot. If he only improves slightly, that's still pretty bad.

Defence - As a whole, I think this group actually got worse. I do like the Hanley pickup and he might actually be a better Shoemaker. Biggest issue is replacing McFadden, both offensively and defensively. Merkley is Merkley, you know your getting an elite offensive option at the expense of D. Samarukov is also a solid two-way guy, no issues there. Lalonde has been a disappointment to me, especially when considering the assets they gave to get him. Woolley seems okay, not sure you would want him playing any significant minutes. Won't comment on rookies because I never saw any midget hockey, but I don't expect any big contributions in year one.

Offense - This is mainly where my "how much better can they be" statement rings true. I have zero issues with Hillis and Ratcliffe. Ratcliffe is a legit top line goal scorer and what Hillis did as a first year player was impressive. The potentials of guys like Primeau and Bertuzzi (needs a healthy year though) are also good. I expected better years from both Schnarr and Hawel. Schnarr didn't really improve last season from the year before, and although Hawel has increased his totals every year, there hasn't been that big jump to match his draft status. Toropchenko looked like a stud some nights, but also seemed to disappear for what felt like half a season. Ralph and Kirwin had a real hot 10 game stretch at the end of November/early December, stats are pretty mediocre otherwise. Both are still effective in lesser roles with the speed/energy they bring, but how much will they improve offensively. I posted my thoughts on Poirier before, grit/toughness are great, but I would expect more production from an OA. Stevenson and the rookies are unlikely to provide much this season.

In no way am I saying this team will be a complete disaster, and big breakouts could definitely happen (I hope they do). Without more talent being brought in via trade (which we don't have a ton of draft pick capital anymore) I don't see this team being a contender. I will still be there watching and being supportive and hope this team proves any of my doubts wrong.

Reactions: storm surge

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I am catching up on some posts and reading about negative posters on here. I think I have been one of them, but will explain my reasoning. Most of my negative thoughts surrounding this team are simply because I don't see many upgrades and that I wonder how much better some guys can be.

Goaltending - As written in Tony Saxon's training camp article, it doesn't seem like talent is an issue, but consistency is.Among goalies with 10+ games played, he ranked 22nd in GAA and a more respectable 12th in SV%. Seems like a league average/slightly above average goalie at his best.

Nico Daws needs to improve a lot. If he only improves slightly, that's still pretty bad.

Defence - As a whole, I think this group actually got worse. I do like the Hanley pickup and he might actually be a better Shoemaker. Biggest issue is replacing McFadden, both offensively and defensively. Merkley is Merkley, you know your getting an elite offensive option at the expense of D. Samarukov is also a solid two-way guy, no issues there. Lalonde has been a disappointment to me, especially when considering the assets they gave to get him. Woolley seems okay, not sure you would want him playing any significant minutes. Won't comment on rookies because I never saw any midget hockey, but I don't expect any big contributions in year one.

Offense - This is mainly where my "how much better can they be" statement rings true. I have zero issues with Hillis and Ratcliffe. Ratcliffe is a legit top line goal scorer and what Hillis did as a first year player was impressive. The potentials of guys like Primeau and Bertuzzi (needs a healthy year though) are also good. I expected better years from both Schnarr and Hawel. Schnarr didn't really improve last season from the year before, and although Hawel has increased his totals every year, there hasn't been that big jump to match his draft status. Toropchenko looked like a stud some nights, but also seemed to disappear for what felt like half a season. Ralph and Kirwin had a real hot 10 game stretch at the end of November/early December, stats are pretty mediocre otherwise. Both are still effective in lesser roles with the speed/energy they bring, but how much will they improve offensively. I posted my thoughts on Poirier before, grit/toughness are great, but I would expect more production from an OA. Stevenson and the rookies are unlikely to provide much this season.

In no way am I saying this team will be a complete disaster, and big breakouts could definitely happen (I hope they do). Without more talent being brought in via trade (which we don't have a ton of draft pick capital anymore) I don't see this team being a contender. I will still be there watching and being supportive and hope this team proves any of my doubts wrong.
.. per Defence....I must say the new Chayka is the first D in years I see being a very strong asset right off the hop....he has class written all over him he was easily best D in first scrimmage.... goal was a leaking boat last year with the constant 2 and 3 on ones bearing down on goalies.... goalies must have been very discouraged.. this is an area where I see likely repeat..Bert looks ok .. but just ...ok..I see Primeau as a future Ratcliffe..offence should blossom.. but has the boat hole been fixed..?....some real speed and talent today (heart).. must be willing to make a few changes..Golovatchev for instance.... +++.. Peterborough should be an interesting game...

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
burnett talks today about competition ..and returnees.. he always keeps "returnees"..if a guy "pushes a vet and is better...or better than a draft pick from this or last year..will Burnett keep him?..and let the "returnee' go?..... I highly doubt it.. he never has before ..prove me wrong George.. show us you don't just bring guys in as fodder for camp..

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Went to watch the training camp last night and tonight and was very impressed with a few of the players. Most noticeably was Tanner Wickware. Very attuned with the play around him, reaction time either down low or up top is amazing and he has a quick glove hand. If I was Daws I wouldn't be sitting back on my laurels. Other players such as Caruso, Lylyk and Burley are very impressive also. Some of the younger ones are going to do very well with their other teams this year but they still need another year to grow mentally and physically. Watched Chayka and after all the hype about him I was very disappointed that he was very uninspiring to watch. Hopefully we get to see some of these players in the preseason and at the start of the regular season.

Hockeyoutsider

Aug 25, 2018
Nice to see profaca signed, he will have a good chance of making the team next year. Ben McFarlane and Steven grant also signed, I was only at one scrimmage and was looking for the progression (if any) of the returning players and the top prospects, never noticed much of grant, I seen McFarlane doesn't back down even stood his ground with Hanley (though McFarlane had a full face on). Hoping these 3 get a few pre season games in

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Been a while since I've posted here. The hockey bug has been building up over the summer, now I'm refreshed and excited for another season.
Really excited to see how Schnarr, Hawel, Toropchenko, Aguanno, Lalonde and Primeau are looking.

Reactions: storm surge

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Been a while since I've posted here. The hockey bug has been building up over the summer, now I'm refreshed and excited for another season.
Really excited to see how Schnarr, Hawel, Toropchenko, Aguanno, Lalonde and Primeau are looking.
Chayka is easily..good enough to play regular shift all year..with # 5..but he'll probably sit on his butt for coach Burnett,,

RoyalCityStormCity

Sep 3, 2018
Probably the gift- such as it is, and there wasn't an autograph signing last year either. But we usually get a notice in the package we get that shows the events set up just for season ticket holders. This year there's just a calendar that shows all scheduled events for everyone for the year.

We also now get a discount at Sleeman Centre concessions / snack bars - at least that is what I saw advertised in the summer...

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Guelph... outplayed in every way.... out coached..they MAY make the playoffs..half the D I watched tonight was really bad.

Hockeyoutsider

Aug 25, 2018
Guelph... outplayed in every way.... out coached..they MAY make the playoffs..half the D I watched tonight was really bad.

I think they played alright considering they dressed 7, 16 year olds, and considering they had a rookie on the back end for every shift. Its pre season wins are a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Pre season is all about seeing what you have and figuring out your depth chart.

The first Mississauga goal was simply exposing popovich's inability to cover the top of the net. However that shot wouldve been put through a key hole it had the perfect location

Wickware just isn't ready for this level, but maybe he develops with playing time in Jr B.

No doubt they make the 2nd round of the playoffs this year, could even push for the 3rd round. Its unfortunate you can't see the upside to this team, theres alot to look forward to this year, and next.

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
I think they played alright considering they dressed 7, 16 year olds, and considering they had a rookie on the back end for every shift. Its pre season wins are a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Pre season is all about seeing what you have and figuring out your depth chart.

The first Mississauga goal was simply exposing popovich's inability to cover the top of the net. However that shot wouldve been put through a key hole it had the perfect location

Wickware just isn't ready for this level, but maybe he develops with playing time in Jr B.

No doubt they make the 2nd round of the playoffs this year, could even push for the 3rd round. Its unfortunate you can't see the upside to this team, theres alot to look forward to this year, and next.
Well Mississauga dressed five rookies, not sure why that should be an issue. Its preseason!!

Reactions: Hockeyoutsider

Hockeyoutsider

Aug 25, 2018
Well Mississauga dressed five rookies, not sure why that should be an issue. Its preseason!!

Never said it was an issue you must've missed the part where I said "preseason is about seeing what you have and figuring out your depth chart"

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Chayka looks like he'll be be an impact player right away. Didn't look out of place at all this weekend. I think Profaca has lots of potential. His skating was very raw at times but his decision making and edges were really good, pretty disappointing he won't stay as 7th D but he should he earning prime minutes with Brampton. He'll be an interesting prospect to watch. Wickware looked good but he won't be challenging Daws for backup. Primeau looks primed for a solid season, can't say the same for Bertuzzi.. hopefully he'll work it out but I'm expecting not much different from last year.

Reactions: StormWatcher

StormFan87

Dec 19, 2014
From going and watching the first two pre season games i thought the following

McFarlane looked impressive. He hit everything and anything which stood out for me. He will be a spark plug come next year!

Bertuzzi played some centre position and he didn't look out of place. He actually looked good!! Last year it seemed he looked nervous with the puck but this year he played with it and seemed to have more confidence! I expect a big year from him!!

Wickware looked ok! Don't see him taking Daws back up spot unless Daws got traded or Daws isn't playing well!!

Profaca looked good. Should be a solid D for us next year. I'd even consider him over Aguanna this year!!

Chayka should be a solid D. It was nice seeing him and Samorukov as a pairing. Russian line!! Chayka looks big and he's not eligible to be NHL drafted for 3 years so he has lots to grow until then!!

I'm a Primeau fan and hope he has a great year! Reminds me of another Ratcliffe and has lots of potential!! But would he be trade bait if the Storm need a big name player if were going for it this year? Hope not but he would def be asked about!!

Def looking forward to this year! If we are not in top 4 of the conference i'd def sell off abit for the next few years ahead!
How can we not contend this year?

Reactions: Hockeyoutsider

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Chayka looks like he'll be be an impact player right away. Didn't look out of place at all this weekend. I think Profaca has lots of potential. His skating was very raw at times but his decision making and edges were really good, pretty disappointing he won't stay as 7th D but he should he earning prime minutes with Brampton. He'll be an interesting prospect to watch. Wickware looked good but he won't be challenging Daws for backup. Primeau looks primed for a solid season, can't say the same for Bertuzzi.. hopefully he'll work it out but I'm expecting not much different from last year.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Looking forward to watching Profaca next year.
My thoughts on Bertuzzi are that he should be dangled as trade bait as part of a big move at the deadline. Hopefully he can increase his value a bit before then, as it stands he'll be on the 4th line again this year.

Hockeyoutsider

Aug 25, 2018

The only thing I can say I disagree on is the expectations, but to each their own, and I understand completely why one may think that about this team

Profaca has impressed me since day one at rookie camp, and I think it will work in his favour that he plays at a lower level this year as it will give him a chance to grow naturally and build muscle.

Primeau is a player I see elevating his game significantly. You can see his confidence is sky high right now. He could possibly be a mid-round steal at the NHL draft in june.

Wooley is another player I see elevating his game this year. He has the talent to be a top 4 defenseman in the OHL but unlikely on this team with merkley, hanley, samoruov and lalonde. Also with his late birthday he isn't NHL eligible until 2020. That will give him just that little bit extra to develop

Chayka looks like a 17 year old out there. Ive been impressed by him. Always in the right spot, very positionally sound and not overly flashy. Defense first with size. Very happy with what he brings to the team this year

I agree 100% about bertuzzi, hockey IQ and size are both there but hopefully he can iron out some of the inconsistencies I see in his game.

Another thing to remember is these kids are 16-20 years old. I'd much rather put something positive up then tear a kids game apart on a fan forum. Good luck Guelph ive seen this team grow extensively since 2015/2016 and it has been great to see the progression the core group has made since that season

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad