Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
If he had made the Tweets after GOTG came out I would get this. But... Disney had to have known about this before hiring or they're dumbasses. Bad Tweets for sure, but I thought I read he already apologized for them YEARS ago. What a shit show.

Taika Waititi makes most logical sense to take over but they should not have fired him for that.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If he had made the Tweets after GOTG came out I would get this. But... Disney had to have known about this before hiring or they're dumbasses. Bad Tweets for sure, but I thought I read he already apologized for them YEARS ago. What a **** show.

Taika Waititi makes most logical sense to take over but they should not have fired him for that.
6 years ago.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Disney the same company that hired Victor Salva and ignored his victims boycott in 1995 during leadup to release of Powder really wants to be the one to throw stones and try to take moral high ground in Hollywood?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Disney the same company that hired Victor Salva and ignored his victims boycott in 1995 during leadup to release of Powder really wants to be the one to throw stones and try to take moral high ground in Hollywood?

They also still employ Lasseter. Jokes are worse than actual abuse I suppose.

I'm 99% sure the quick firing is due to the upcoming vote on Friday for the Fox deal. They didn't want any distractions. We won't really hear anything until after the vote.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Or the guy who tweeted rape/pedo jokes could ultimately be responsible?

I suppose he could be blamed for not deleting them, but they were already brought to Disney’s attention years ago, and he apologized for them at the time so I’m not sure what your position here is other than “if you ever have made a rape joke then you deserve to be fired”.

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
I suppose he could be blamed for not deleting them, but they were already brought to Disney’s attention years ago, and he apologized for them at the time so I’m not sure what your position here is other than “if you ever have made a rape joke then you deserve to be fired”.

Or he could he blamed for making the jokes in the first place? Who gives a f*** when they were made or who made them?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's not a reasonable analogy because it's understood that people do a lot of growing up between their teens and their 30s and Gunn was already in his 40s when he made the offensive tweets.

So you're including the qualifier that teens are exempt. Okay. How about a 30 year old plumber getting fired for a moderately offensive Facebook post he made when he was 20? Do you see the problem here?

If that were the case, businesses would be a lot more thorough in scrutinizing people's pasts before hiring them and what you were afraid of earlier, that a past indiscretion would ruin their employability for life, would be even more likely. Don't forget that if a business or institution can't fire you for one thing, they'll just find or make some other excuse and you'll still end up fired. It wouldn't really hamper them, but it would hamper anyone with skeletons in the closet from getting work. What you're proposing would hurt the very people that you're meaning to help, and a guy like Gunn wouldn't have gotten to write and direct two 'Guardians' films, much less three.

Huh? Are you seriously trying to argue that this is the first Disney has heard of this because Disney didn't properly vet a hiring of a director for a high-profile gig?

This isn't new to Disney. What's new is that a new light was shone on it almost a decade after the fact.

He was famous in 2008-2010. He had been writing, producing and directing films since the late 90s.

As for the tweets, I presume that the folks who uncovered them went through his tweet history. If he had deleted them, they wouldn't have found them... and even if they'd found mention or quoting of them, having long since deleted them might've conveyed enough remorse, as well as excuse (due to lack of direct evidence), for Disney to not act on it.

Yeah James Gunn was really a household name back then.

I'm sure you can tell the difference between the level of fame and scrutiny you get as a provocative indie director/screenwriter and as a director for one of the biggest movie franchises in the world.

Deleting them wouldn't have changed that he posted them, which is presumably the problem, not the fact that he didn't try to cover them up. He had also previously apologized:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/07...ed-offensive-comments-previously-apologized/\

Worth noting:

Adult Swim did the right thing amidst the Cernovich-led campaign to dredge up any old bit of moderately offensive social media from years ago to get people fired:

Dan Harmon Apologizes for Offensive Video, Deletes His Twitter Account

Condemn the action, accept apology, move on.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I forgot he was a Kaufman protégé

First writting credit was Tromeo and Juliet I believe
Yup and he snuck Lloyd into the first Guardians as one of the guys yelling over the railings at the start of the prison sequence. He also wrote the intro to Lloyd's book "Make Your Own Damn Movie".

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Bautista is going all in with his tweets. There have been maybe a dozen articles in the trades about how Disney f***ed up and set a terrible precedent. I expect them to walk it back after the Fox vote.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So you're including the qualifier that teens are exempt. Okay. How about a 30 year old plumber getting fired for a moderately offensive Facebook post he made when he was 20? Do you see the problem here?

I said that "people do a lot of growing up between their teens and their 30s." If I had meant just their teens, I would've simply said "in their teens." Regardless, you're trying to lower the ages so that natural immaturity can be used as an excuse, but natural immaturity is no excuse for Gunn, who was 32-34 at the time of his tweets, so your analogies don't work.

Huh? Are you seriously trying to argue that this is the first Disney has heard of this because Disney didn't properly vet a hiring of a director for a high-profile gig?

I don't know, but it's possible. It might be a little hard to believe, but the alternative seems to be that they found the tweets, hired him, anyways, and never made him delete them as a condition of the hiring. If they did the safe thing by vetting him so thoroughly, why did they then allow the tweets to remain up and potentially become a PR nightmare in the future? That seems a little harder for me to believe.

Yeah James Gunn was really a household name back then.

I'm sure you can tell the difference between the level of fame and scrutiny you get as a provocative indie director/screenwriter and as a director for one of the biggest movie franchises in the world.

He's not exactly a household name now, either, except maybe with MCU fans. I didn't know who he was when this news came out. Regardless, I do see the difference in levels of fame, but you said that he wasn't famous, period, which might give the impression that he was a nobody. He was enough of a somebody to get hired to write and direct for "one of the biggest movie franchises in the world" just a few years later.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad