Value of: Grubauer to DET

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Detroit has some goalie help coming down the line (Larsson and Petruzzelli) but needs a capable 1B option to help Howard transition.

In comes Washington. With how well Grubauer played in the regular season, he will probably price his way out of Washington. What would be his price be for a trade, signed or not?

Would NYI 2019 2nd be enough? Too much?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
PG is kind of like Darling last year. You have to give him good money now, which could turn into a steal or blow up in your face. Darling fetched a 3rd as a UFA. This is a tough one to call, late 1st doesn’t seem out of the question though, a lot of teams need a starter.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Fair or not, schnieder got a first rounder. Dont see caps settling for less but who knows

I think in terms of attaching value to each goalie, "first rounder" is a bit vague.

Schneider went straight up for #9OA, but he was arguably a lot more valuable at that point than Grubauer is now.

Schneider was coming off a season where he had been the Canucks #1 the whole year (and stretching back to the 2012 playoffs) and had placed top 10 in GAA and SV%. While Grubauer had similar numbers, it was playing as a #2 that got hot when the #1 guy struggled. Then he eventually reverted back to #2 in the playoffs. Had he remained the guy that carried the Caps to the ECF, then maybe he's in that Schneider category, but he didn't so IMO he's a couple rungs down the ladder.

I would say a late first would do it. Or maybe package AA with a 2nd.

That said, the Red Wings SHOULD NOT be giving up assets in a trade for a goalie. We all know the whole "goalie of the future" is a toxic spot to be in on Detroit anyway. They should focus those assets on getting good D/C prospects and just get a #2 out of the UFA bargain bin.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
PG is kind of like Darling last year. You have to give him good money now, which could turn into a steal or blow up in your face. Darling fetched a 3rd as a UFA. This is a tough one to call, late 1st doesn’t seem out of the question though, a lot of teams need a starter.
You could always take Grubauer to arbitration with the understanding to negotiate during the season based on his performance. Might save you from a Darling situation.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
You could always take Grubauer to arbitration with the understanding to negotiate during the season based on his performance. Might save you from a Darling situation.

But he could just say "ok, sure", take the one year from arbitration and then hit the UFA market next summer.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

It would be so heartbreaking to find a new #1G only to have him walk as a UFA after his first great year.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It would be so heartbreaking to find a new #1G only to have him walk as a UFA after his first great year.

Double edged sword really. On the other end of the spectrum, it would be awful to give him a deal with starter money and term and have him end up being mediocre to bad as a starter.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
No point in giving up assets for a goalie at this point. You could put Hasek and Roy both in a 3 x 5 net at the same time and our defense would still make them look bad.

Reactions: IODCPiper

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Grubauer's not as good as is Schneider, so I say second-round pick and a C+ prospect.
Yeah the Caps certainly aren’t trading Grubauer IN DIVISION for a lower return than Talbot, Lehner, Jones, Schneider, and Andersen. Grubauer’s value based on fairly solid precedent is a Late-1st. I’m pretty confident with all the teams in need of a goaltender the Caps will have several offers.

Reactions: IODCPiper

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
I could get behind giving up
Yeah the Caps certainly aren’t trading Grubauer IN DIVISION for a lower return than Talbot, Lehner, Jones, Schneider, and Andersen. Grubauer’s value based on fairly solid precedent is a Late-1st. I’m pretty confident with all the teams in need of a goaltender the Caps will have several offers.
good thing DET isnt in the same division! A second rounder it is!

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Id tank if I'm Detroit. Just sign some AHL free agent and make him the number 1. It's better to land a talent like Hughes in the draft next year than flounder in mediocrity.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Wings should keep their picks and stick with the tank commander Jared Coreau.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Zero interest in Grubauer, or any goalie right now. Wings need to focus more on putting together a more competent team long term in front of the net before they look for a goalie of the future.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

:huh: Caps/Wings haven't been in the same division since the 70's. Heck, we've been barely in the same conference since then.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
IMHO, the wings have a good enough goalie for the time being, and a back up can be found in UFA. They're better off building up the team slowly instead of spending assets like high picks for quick fixes.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
then why do the caps trade him? even lehner got a first round pick and we can agree grubauer is better then lehner

I assume he wants to be a starter eventually. He isn't going to play the rest of his prime years for the caps unless holtby gets dealt. Schneider, Talbot, Andersen are guys that wanted a bigger role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad